Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Forums Payment cards Barclaycard Avios Alternative spend reward

• FatherOfFour 281 posts

8.3 of the Barclaycard Avios reward rules states: “The qualifying spend reward may be a cabin upgrade voucher, or you may be offered a choice between either a cabin upgrade voucher or a specified amount of Avios. Where you have a choice, you’ll be required to select in the Barclaycard or Barclays App within a certain period of time, otherwise the default reward will be selected for you….We’ll let you know if you have a choice of reward and if so the time period [last bit paraphrased]”

I don’t remember this being mentioned in any of the articles on here. I presume nobody has been offered a choice yet? I am not clear if the choice would be offered at sign-up, or upon qualifying for the reward.

NorthernLass 7,579 posts

I’ve earned the voucher now, but it just says in the app that it will be transferred to the BAEC account within 5 working days. I’d probably prefer extra avios, but I doubt BC would be offering the amount required to upgrade on a long haul flight to, say, SYD!

FatherOfFour 281 posts

I agree. Using the examples from Rob’s article about the “this is not an upgrade voucher” it would have a value of between 45,000 and 84,000 Avios. I’m not sure it would be wise to suggest what a fair value would be, but I’m guessing some people would see more value in a fixed award of Avios rather than the voucher.
    An alternative “option” (which might suit non status folk) would be a “seat-selection voucher”, (return for 2 would hold a monetary value of about £400, but would cost a lot more if paying by Avios)

NorthernLass 7,579 posts

Voucher to the value of BA surcharges … (ok, I’m getting ridiculous now 😂)

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

The UK's biggest frequent flyer website uses cookies, which you can block via your browser settings. Continuing implies your consent to this policy. Our privacy policy is here.