Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Forums Hotel loyalty schemes IHG One Rewards Ambassador / Diamond status

• RobH not Rob 25 posts

I noted this on a different loyalty site yesterday, can anyone confirm it?

>
    >
    >
    There has been a long-lasting Ambassador program feature that has been very beneficial for IHG Rewards and now IHG One Rewards members.

Signing up or renewing Ambassador status using either cash or points has automatically renewed your IHG One Rewards top tier status through the end of the following calendar year. This previously applied to Spire Elite; I renewed it using this method couple of times, and now to Diamond elite.

Example:Your Diamond status is set to expire on December 31, 2022, and you don’t have enough nights or qualifying spend to qualify.You sign up or renew InterContinental Ambassador at any time during 2022 (preferably when there is a promotion for doing so).The Diamond elite is extended through December 31, 2023.

NorthernLass 7,580 posts

Discussed here fairly frequently, possibly its days are numbered now it’s been outed so publicly!

SRF. 43 posts

I’ve just done it and app still says diamond expiry dec 2022 although updated to ambassador.

How long until updates expiry or should it have been immediate and ship already sailed?

ChrisC 956 posts

Discussed here fairly frequently, possibly its days are numbered now it’s been outed so publicly!

There is an almost 7 year old thread on this on the IHG flyer talk board. T’other day somene just popped up and said the thread should just be deleted.

IHG have known about this loophole for years and done nothing about it. I don’t see them suddenly closing it just because it gets the ocassional mention on a fre travel blogs. This is just like BA and the TPs on some rebooked reward flights they’ve known about it for years yet still havn’t closed it either.

Zara 30 posts

I’ve just done it and app still says diamond expiry dec 2022 although updated to ambassador.

How long until updates expiry or should it have been immediate and ship already sailed?

I did it yesterday and it updated immediately. Hopefully yours has updated by now?

SRF. 43 posts

Can confirmed updated now. Just taken 10 or so minutes. 🙂

Zara 30 posts

Can confirmed updated now. Just taken 10 or so minutes. 🙂

Amazing. As ChrisC says, it probably won’t disappear any time soon but I couldn’t take the risk either as we have possibly approx 18 nights in IC coming up.

SRF. 43 posts

I don’t actually have a booked IC stay until next February. I was always hoping to do this towards end of year to give me the maximum voucher timescale and extend my Diamond until end of next year, but with all the talk I’ve panicked and jumped in.

I may or may not actually get value for money from Ambassador but approx £160 for extending my free breakfasts and upgrades for 10months (after end of February diamond expiry) may be a prudent move, especially if keeps me top tier for potential status-matches etc.

ChrisC 956 posts

You can still book a room at an IC using the voucher rate. The voucher is only removed when a stay takes place not when you book.

If you chose not to use the voucher on that stay remember to cancel and rebook to a cheaper rate as they’ll still charge you the full rate.

Scottpat78 245 posts

I just enrolled in Ambassador and my Diamond has been extended to Dec 2023 instantly.

Now have 1.5y as Diamond at both Hilton & IHG to run comparisons on.

slidey 292 posts

I currently have an amb voucher in my acct, with an amb night booked. If I were to renew amb, there would then be two vouchers but is there then a chance that the amb night I have booked could end up using the new voucher rather than the one which is due to expire not long after the booking I have to use it?

NorthernLass 7,580 posts

@slidey, the certificate seems to be removed by the hotel at check out so you could always speak to them and make sure they use the right one.

PeteM 714 posts

IHG have known about this loophole for years and done nothing about it. I don’t see them suddenly closing it just because it gets the ocassional mention on a fre travel blogs. This is just like BA and the TPs on some rebooked reward flights they’ve known about it for years yet still havn’t closed it either.

Except, let’s be honest, the IHG top tier was mostly useless/worthless for all those years. It now offers free breakfast, for two people. Every day, of every stay. It saved us some £180 at a Kimpton stay recently. It will easily save me £1k+ over the course of this year. I could see it starting to get guarded that bit more!

NorthernLass 7,580 posts

Can I just check the free breakfast applies to free night/award stays? I’ve got all muddled up again!

PeteM 714 posts

Can I just check the free breakfast applies to free night/award stays? I’ve got all muddled up again!

I can’t see why not, but can’t confirm from personal experience yet.

Clause 51 of the T&Cs also states:

Benefits on Reward Nights Stays: IHG One Rewards Member benefits are available on Reward Night stays with the exception of the Guaranteed Room Availability benefit for Platinum Elite and Diamond Elite Members.

NorthernLass 7,580 posts

Thanks @PeteM. The Kimpton Seafire has now grudgingly acknowledged the breakfast benefit but I can tell they’re itching to find a reason to deny it!

Kowalski 105 posts

I’ve received free breakfast on reward stays as a diamond member.

Harrier25 852 posts

Holiday Inn Bournemouth recognised it on a points reward stay and offered free breakfast or points…”err, free breakfast please!”

Harrier25 852 posts

Although, the Holiday Inn Bournemouth isn’t quite the Captivating New Caribbean Beach Resort that the Kimpton Seafire is! 🙂

Peter K 553 posts

Had free breakfast on a reward stay at the Voco Oxford. Also got the bonus points.

NorthernLass 7,580 posts

@Harrier25, I bet the HI Bournemouth doesn’t charge $80 pn per room night resort fee though 😱. Hence we are all sharing one room for the 3 nights we are there!

BJ 657 posts

I plan to use this but I’ll risk waiting for the Black Friday or some other sign up offer.

Harrier25 852 posts

Harrier25 852 posts

@Harrier25, I bet the HI Bournemouth doesn’t charge $80 pn per room night resort fee though 😱. Hence we are all sharing one room for the 3 nights we are there!

Ouch! 🥺

NorthernLass 7,580 posts

@Harrier, the Creation free night and points cushion the blow!

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

The UK's biggest frequent flyer website uses cookies, which you can block via your browser settings. Continuing implies your consent to this policy. Our privacy policy is here.