Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Forums Payment cards American Express American Express £200 Platinum dining credit – Expires 31/12/21

• CraigSu 4 posts

Has anyone been successful in using their Amex Plat dining credit for gift cards – eg Gaucho, Duck or Waffle – or ( as I expect) would you need to call and purchase from the specific branch listed in the participating restaurants? Wont be in London again before end of the offer due to new “Plan B” measures so hoping that I can purchase over the phone and collect / have it posted to me?

• This topic was modified 54 years, 4 months ago by .
    GaryE 45 posts

Has anybody successfully received the credit (Amex 100% credit up to £200) for dining at the Alain Ducasse restaurant in the Dorchester? – Concern is that it went through the till as against the Dorchester hotel and not the specific restaurant name. Amex says they won’t look into until 15 days after charge – so far 10 days and it is not even logged on the ‘savings’ tab – so now getting a bit concerned

Richardallen42 2 posts

Hi

We went to Hawksmoor in Air Street on 18 Nov & not received our credit either.

I wonder if anyone has received credit?

dev 2 posts

Partial answer on the gift cards here: https://www.headforpoints.com/2021/10/17/amex-platinum-200-dining-credit-changes/. Sounds likely this would trigger if made at a particular branch…. not sure about over the phone. Do post back if you find out any more info as I’m looking to do the same as I’ll probably be cancelling my upcoming reservation.

Entitled 68 posts

GaryE / Richardallen42 – Mine didn’t register as being used initially. After about two weeks had passed I followed up on the chat to confirm that the transaction was eligible was that I had something in writing. Once Amex did this I just stayed on the chat and kept asking an iterations of ‘why if it is eligible can you not apply the credit’ until they manually did just that.

• This reply was modified 54 years, 4 months ago by .
    PaulG 2 posts

I was thinking I could use the credit at the Ivy in Wimbledon Village but it’s not on the list. Not sure why

paulofromthebloc 2 posts

I dined at Duck and Waffle and received the credit. My bill was £111.I had to pay £60 deposit in advance and paid £51 after my meal. Only £51 was credited to my statement. I enquired with Amex via online chat. They told me that the £60 deposit was outside the t&c of the offer because it was paid via a payment processor but they would see what they could do. Around a week later the £60 was also credited to my statement.

Wollhouse 10 posts

I’ve just called the Edinburgh Ivy and they told me to buy a gift voucher online and it would work. They had to go away to ask the question and seemed a bit unsure so I’m not confident this will actually trigger the credit???

James P 3 posts

Richardallen42 – I had the same issue re Hawksmoor Air Street, ate there on 4th December and no statement credit has posted yet. I raised it on Amex chat today and they said they would look into it (needed to be raised with another department), and to check back in a few days. So definitely worth flagging it with Amex CS.

Entitled – that’s interesting, I’ll definitely be persistent with them to credit me when I check back!

My first use of the offer at Ivy St John’s Wood tracked fine, so clearly there’s a specific issue at Hawksmoor.

tazzy 44 posts

I’m wondering exactly the same! Based in belfast and we have pushed our December London trip to spring. Any success please share!

andeh3 14 posts

Anyone used it in the ivy in Manchester? There are 3 separate restaurants brassiere, Asian, and roof top. Is it only the brassiere that works?

TGLoyalty 530 posts

A gift card sold in the restaurant should work no problem but done over the phone/web probably won’t

FYI used mine in the Novikov Asian room and it worked fine even though Novikov Italian is mentioned on the list (I correctly assumed they were in the building / have same entrance so would work but it’s always a risk it won’t)

ayearinmx 34 posts

has anyone used a restaurant outside of the UK? In theory it looks like it should all work the same, and I’m factoring in the foreign payment charge, but otherwise, business as usual?

Dr Tom 19 posts

If anyone has had luck with gift cards, please do post. My Christmas gathering plans have changed and, although I’m not against eating as a solo diner if there’s space, £200 seems a lot to spend.

The only other option I can think of to get some value is to buy wine and take it away, but it’s not a great use of £200. Other ideas are welcome. At least I’m in London so can physically visit places.

ccbretnall 5 posts

It does work in non-listed Ivy restaurants. I “accidentally” triggered it when dining in the St Albans branch. I had no intention of using the credit here (as had won a coveted booking at the Chiltern Firehouse), but it was applied to my account after around 4 days.
    We still went to the Chiltern and the balance of the unspent £200 was applied to my account again after about 4 days. So exactly the full £200.00 credit was gained.

KP 27 posts

I dined at Duck and Waffle and received the credit. My bill was £111.I had to pay £60 deposit in advance and paid £51 after my meal. Only £51 was credited to my statement. I enquired with Amex via online chat. They told me that the £60 deposit was outside the t&c of the offer because it was paid via a payment processor but they would see what they could do. Around a week later the £60 was also credited to my statement.

I am currently facing the same issue with Yauatcha. I havent received credit for the £100 they charged us in advance. Complaint raised with Amex

VerdantBacon 141 posts

We’ve used the offer at Duck and Waffle, Sushi Samba, Lucky Cat and Hawksmoor Air Street.

All but Hawksmoor tracked, ended up calling Amex about the Hawksmoor one, they escalated it but I heard nothing back so I called again after 10 days of escalation. Was told to wait 5 more days, I mentioned that I have the receipts that show I dined at the Air Street location and they asked me to upload them onto the document centre.

Credit was applied the next day.

mark2 127 posts

I was surprised to see a credit for £5 in addition to the refund of the bill because it turned out that they were also on Shop Small.
    So I made a profit of £5 as well as a free meal!

tazzy 44 posts

Any updates on anyone able to obtain vouchers over the phone or on line that triggers the offer?

S879 96 posts

Will this plan work? I want to use it at STK Steakhouse in Atlanta, USA. The card is in my OH’s name who is in the UK and doesn’t want to risk taking the kids. This restaurant in Atlanta has a pick up option too and we can make payment online. Will it trigger the offer? If it doesn’t are Amex good with honouring it?

dcsprior 5 posts

I’ve just called the Edinburgh Ivy and they told me to buy a gift voucher online and it would work. They had to go away to ask the question and seemed a bit unsure so I’m not confident this will actually trigger the credit???

Did you do this in the end (and if so, did the credit appear?).

The only participating restaurant near me is that same branch of The Ivy, and I’ve got almost £120 still to use on this offer – if I can buy a gift card for the Ivy to use in Edinburgh, I’d love to do so, but I’m not overly keen on spending £120 without knowing if I’ll get it back or not.

dcsprior 5 posts

Actually, I decided to test this, I’ve bought a £25 (the minimum) GC and will see if the credit appears in time for the end of the year (when I did an in-person transaction at Aster in London, the credit appeared 5 days later). If the credit appears I’ll buy the other £95 online, if not I’ll traipse into town to buy a GC in person

T_London 39 posts

I was thinking I could use the credit at the Ivy in Wimbledon Village but it’s not on the list. Not sure why

I went to this Ivy for brunch and assumed I wouldn’t get credit here as it wasn’t on the list. I later realised on my card statement that the dining offer applied! Hopefully it will work for you too then.

T_London 39 posts

Actually, I decided to test this, I’ve bought a £25 (the minimum) GC and will see if the credit appears in time for the end of the year (when I did an in-person transaction at Aster in London, the credit appeared 5 days later). If the credit appears I’ll buy the other £95 online, if not I’ll traipse into town to buy a GC in person

Please keep us updated on this! If it works for you I’ll do the same as I have around £80 left to use.

PIL 100 posts

I approached customer service with this specific question and was told that gift cards bought in store are eligible for this offer.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

The UK's biggest frequent flyer website uses cookies, which you can block via your browser settings. Continuing implies your consent to this policy. Our privacy policy is here.