Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Forums Payment cards American Express Amex card suspended and then cancelled

• Reximus 16 posts

My account is still pending, spoke with Amex this morning to get an update, and customer service advised that the decision has not been given and is in a state of pending.

Customer service advised that this was actually good as the account was supposed to be canceled on the 25th of March. So just awaiting their final decision. It is taking them a long time though as the extra information was provided on the 16th of March.

I will provide another update once I have one.

sh-uk 7 posts

Thank you, @Remximus. I appreciate the updates!

Reximus 16 posts

Still, no update, and still the card is suspended, maybe they are waiting until the last minute so there is no option to get the 70K Avios.

Crafty 150 posts

Yes. That’s what it is. They’re individually victimising you, and have instructed all customer service operatives on this, to save from printing a paltry amount of MR points.

mkdoc 21 posts

It shouldn’t take 4 weeks to review the documentation though. Something odd going on here

jeff228 4 posts

Im having the same issues @Reximus, I sent my documents on the 1st of March and still no response. I’ve had two manager callbacks and both times they just said they are looking into it, they can’t give me a time frame and will contact me when they have made a decision, it’s been over 6 weeks. I asked on the in-app chat how long it should take and they said 10 working days.

Retron 14 posts

For the first time since I got my BAPP (7 years ago), I was asked to confirm my income the other day – logged in as normal, and was asked some basic questions (I want to say it was asking for wages only, rather than total income, but I can’t remember the details). I strongly suspect it would be tied with some checks behind the scenes to make sure what I put down was accurate.

It struck me as unusual, anyway, but perhaps tallies with Amex being a bit more selective with who they want as customers. I suspect if my salary had gone down, I would have joined the ranks of those being turfed out!

John 1,000 posts

For the first time since I got my BAPP (7 years ago), I was asked to confirm my income the other day – logged in as normal, and was asked some basic questions (I want to say it was asking for wages only, rather than total income, but I can’t remember the details). I strongly suspect it would be tied with some checks behind the scenes to make sure what I put down was accurate.

It struck me as unusual, anyway, but perhaps tallies with Amex being a bit more selective with who they want as customers. I suspect if my salary had gone down, I would have joined the ranks of those being turfed out!

Already discussed here https://www.headforpoints.com/forums/topic/amex-app-details-verification/

Reximus 16 posts

Thank you for sharing your experience Jeff228, it is so frustrating, my card was suspended at the end of February and I provided additional income information on the 16th of March, and then just waiting. I did speak to customer service again on 13th April and she advised that they had been told by management to apologize to people in our situation as they had a lot to deal with and it was taking longer than expected.

So back to just waiting.

sh-uk 7 posts

To my surprise, when I spoke to them the other day as I hadn’t received the ‘Final Bill’ the previous letter (the harshly worded one) said I would be receiving, they informed me my card was still under review. The letter and the rep I spoke to previously had both indicated my time with Amex was done and this card was no more. I can still log into my account however, and have paid everything off… so… seems like something bigger is going on with this in the background. I’m still slightly hopeful they’ll bring my card back to life!

Reximus 16 posts

Has anyone had any updates as to the progress of their suspended cards?

I find this absolutely ridiculous that my account has been under review for nearly three months with no updates.

Last week I raised a complaint to try and push things along, but not even that seems to have made any difference.

I am at the point now where I just want them to cancel my account and refund the £250 annual fee, as I have paid for nothing, well just a month’s use.

I will try calling again tomorrow for an update.

Lawro 16 posts

Has anyone had any updates as to the progress of their suspended cards?

I find this absolutely ridiculous that my account has been under review for nearly three months with no updates.

Last week I raised a complaint to try and push things along, but not even that seems to have made any difference.

I am at the point now where I just want them to cancel my account and refund the £250 annual fee, as I have paid for nothing, well just a month’s use.

I will try calling again tomorrow for an update.

Mixed reports. I’ve heard of one instance where the card was reopened but after that was pushing to speak to somebody within the actual Credit Review team rather than the team that sometimes answers the phone when calling the ‘Credit Review Dept’ number on their emails/letters. Another had their card cancelled despite sending the requested docs three times. They’ve still not received any official communication from Amex that the card has been cancelled and only know because the card shows as cancelled within the Amex app.

Kelvin K 21 posts

I had all my 3 AMEX cards put onto a 60 day cancellation notice last week – I was sent a secure email with the this decision.
    Cards blocked with immediate effect.

Not bothering speaking to anyone, because I was about to start the 2 year closure period anyway.

Cranzle 272 posts

I had all my 3 AMEX cards put onto a 60 day cancellation notice last week – I was sent a secure email with the this decision.
    Cards blocked with immediate effect.

Not bothering speaking to anyone, because I was about to start the 2 year closure period anyway.

Do you have any ideas as to why they may have done this?

Kelvin K 21 posts

think I’d gone a bit heavy on paypal F&F in all honesty

Cranzle 272 posts

Fair enough. Thanks for sharing.

tbtb31 75 posts

@Kelvin K, I salute your honesty. x2 thanks for sharing.

Richard Peters 170 posts

A classic case of abuse it and lose it. AE aren’t stupid and the minority that game them simply spoil it for others. 4 cards over time since 2005: no need to churn, plenty of Avios and 241’s. #simples

Rui N. 831 posts

LOL

Cranzle 272 posts

A classic case of abuse it and lose it. AE aren’t stupid and the minority that game them simply spoil it for others. 4 cards over time since 2005: no need to churn, plenty of Avios and 241’s. #simples

In my opinion, so many people who comment on here seem to not be able to swallow the annual fee(s). This is probably the wrong game for them.

Reximus 16 posts

Cranzle, I have no problem with the annual fee but I need to have a card to use, just paying £250 to have the card for a month, in my opinion, is outright theft. Having said that I certainly hope that once this is sorted out it will either be reimbursed or I will be given extra time before it is renewed.

jeff228 4 posts

@reximus I happened to go onto my Amex account last week, the suspended message was never there so I thought maybe it was back to normal now but they hadn’t notified me. I tried to use the card and to my surprise, it worked. I then called Amex the next day to ask to extend by bonus point collection period as the card had been suspended for 2 months for them to only re-suspend the card and them tell me that it wasn’t meant to be like that and that my card is still under review. I have given up hope and changed to the Barclays Avios card.

tbtb31 75 posts

@reximus I happened to go onto my Amex account last week, the suspended message was never there so I thought maybe it was back to normal now but they hadn’t notified me. I tried to use the card and to my surprise, it worked. I then called Amex the next day to ask to extend by bonus point collection period as the card had been suspended for 2 months for them to only re-suspend the card and them tell me that it wasn’t meant to be like that and that my card is still under review. I have given up hope and changed to the Barclays Avios card.

Did you make any paypal payments funded by your Amex card?

status88 1 post

I have just had the same issue. I have had a UK platinum business card (one for limited companies) for the last five years. Never missed a payment, not spent with erratic behaviours.

I have had a request for 2 months of personal bank statements which show payslips – I am the company director, so I take money as and when I need it, but of course always varies (the statement shows a good amount going into my personal account).

I am totally confused as to why they want my personal bank statements when its a company card paid for by my company that I own. They seem super sketchy on the phone when you ask any questions.

Never had any issues with Amex and quite surprised by how off-ish they are being.

JellyFan 20 posts

Never had any issues with Amex and quite surprised by how off-ish they are being.

Very strange.

Almost sounds as though they’re going out of their way to alienate their service users?

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

The UK's biggest frequent flyer website uses cookies, which you can block via your browser settings. Continuing implies your consent to this policy. Our privacy policy is here.