Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Forums Payment cards American Express Amex card suspended and then cancelled

• alig4th 322 posts

It’s also no different from savvy consumers switching broadband or mobile providers. Why refuse free money if Amex is stupid to give it away.

I tried this argument before. Those that are opposed won’t be swayed. Those that are in favour won’t be convinced to stop trying for free money.

Reximus 16 posts

I finally received a letter advising that my account will be closed in 60 days. It advised that I no longer meet their lending criteria. Also, it advised that I will receive my membership fee back minus the first month when it was usable.

It took them 4 months to do the review and to be honest, I am glad it is all over and do regret the decision to have signed up in the first place.

They did not give any information as to what criteria I did not meet, but I suspect that they did not count dividends (from my business) as a reliable source of monthly income.

Good luck to everyone else going through this hassle, I do hope you get the results you are after.

jeff228 4 posts

@reximus I also just got my letter last week saying they are closing my account, I’ve moved over to Barclays Avios card anyway but same as you I’m happy its over as they kept me waiting 5 months

sh-uk 7 posts

Ditto. I just got exactly the same letter. Ridiculous.

Skywalker 697 posts

Hallelujah, I’m unblocked!

I requested a call from the supervisor, which took days to resolve. I explained everything, she put me on hold, and came back 5 mins later to say – yep, all clear!

Maybe try requesting the supervisor and explaining your situation?

Best of luck!

That’s great news.

Skywalker 697 posts

I finally received a letter advising that my account will be closed in 60 days. It advised that I no longer meet their lending criteria. Also, it advised that I will receive my membership fee back minus the first month when it was usable.

It took them 4 months to do the review and to be honest, I am glad it is all over and do regret the decision to have signed up in the first place.

They did not give any information as to what criteria I did not meet, but I suspect that they did not count dividends (from my business) as a reliable source of monthly income.

Good luck to everyone else going through this hassle, I do hope you get the results you are after.

Sorry to hear this @Reximus. Did you at least manage to keep the 70k Avios, or had you not got that far yet?

Reximus 16 posts

Hi Skywalker, no I fell £400 short in the month that I had the card, very frustrated! I did however raise a complaint with them and they did give me 7,500 Avios points as a type of compensation.

Oh well off to Barclays now :).

BlueLabel 14 posts

I read this whole thread with some trepidation after the same thing happened to me yesterday.

First I got a notification that my Plat had been suspended on ApplePay, and then I got an email from the credit review team at Amex saying they were temporarily suspending my account. I’ve only had the card for a few days.

I sent the requested two bank statements yesterday, and today I had a phone call from Brighton saying they were satisfied and were unblocking my account – I’m now back up and running towards my SUB!

I asked the Amex lady why it had happened but she didn’t really say much except that they are “doing more random checks on applications these days”.

Kudos to Amex anyway for sorting it out quickly on this occasion.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

The UK's biggest frequent flyer website uses cookies, which you can block via your browser settings. Continuing implies your consent to this policy. Our privacy policy is here.