Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Forums Frequent flyer programs British Airways Executive Club BA cancelled flight within 24 hours of departure, compensation options?

• MilesOnPoint 80 posts

LHR-NCL (Dep. 26/02 09:55) was cancelled this morning and I was notified at 06:45am.

Avios booking for 2 pax. Not alternative flights available, all cancelled.

We ended up having to by flexible single train tickets to travel up from Kings Cross later this morning.

What are the options in terms of compensation (EU261 or current equivalent) and renumeration of train ticket costs?

Thanks in advance

MilesOnPoint 80 posts

Sorry, tired typing. That should of course read:

*No alternative flights

*buy flexible single train tickets

Rob
    HfP Staff
    2,198 posts

This is clear cut so I wouldn’t worry. You get the train tickets reimbursed plus any additional costs plus EC261. You won’t get anything on top for your trouble though.

MilesOnPoint 80 posts

Thanks Rob, very helpful.

So hopefully we’ll get train tickets reimbursed, taxi to Kings Cross and a cost of minicab to Heathrow covered (as it was too late to cancel, driver arrived before BA cancellation email did and I had pre-paid with Minicabit).

Can I ask how much EC261 compensation is due (flight cancellation, under 1,500KM)?

I can see the detail online for delays but not outright cancellations.

Thanks again

alexb 37 posts

ba have cancelled our flights tomorrow morning abz lhr-mia rebooked us on monday .
    i have a seperate flight with aa tomorrow night from mia to mco also ba car hire booked booked at orlando tomorrow night .
    what are my options with car hire and aa flight

alexb 37 posts

what about our 1 day covid test to fly

Lady London 2,045 posts

ba have cancelled our flights tomorrow morning abz lhr-mia rebooked us on monday .
    i have a seperate flight with aa tomorrow night from mia to mco also ba car hire booked booked at orlando tomorrow night .
    what are my options with car hire and aa flight

separate flights so you’re on your own. Call whoever booked your AA flight and try to reschedule. Once you know how that goes call car hire and do same. Check price of new booking ypurself online for car hire at mco (if your current booking is cancellable) and if you can, one that would work for pickup at MIA at new time instead. MIA and MCO are not that far apart. IIRC there isn’t usually a one way drop charge within same state in US if you’d need to drop car at MCO on your return. Amendment to car hire may price a lot higher.

Think about if your insurance will cover you and make sure you submit an EU261 / UK261 claim for compensation for cancellation to BA. It seems unlikely they will get away with avoiding compensation by claiming exceptional circumstances if the cause is their own IT.

Lady London 2,045 posts

Taking another look at the above if you call the BA car hire people and explain it’s the BA flight change that has caused it there’s a reasonable chance that if the different pickup date doesn’t force a much higher reprice they might just switch you for free. Make sure you know what’s happening with the AA flight first though.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

The UK's biggest frequent flyer website uses cookies, which you can block via your browser settings. Continuing implies your consent to this policy. Our privacy policy is here.