Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Forums Hotel loyalty schemes Hilton Honors Best use of points for a resort vacation

• meandthekids 66 posts

Hi there. I have some BMG certificates and about 350k HH points. We can buy more if necessary.

I was just wondering what you might recommend as good sunny resort redemptions for a family. The Maldives seems difficult to sign up to due to the transfer fees (but we are not writing it off just yet), as we have just bought the avios flights for next August.

We are considering WA Dubai as it’s not too long a flight and points availability is more likely.
    With the flexibility of the BMGs, we want to find somewhere special for next year.
    Thank you so much for all the invaluable input always xx

NorthernLass 7,573 posts

I’m not sure how BMGs work, but for a Hilton redemption with kids I’d be tempted to look at one of their A/I resorts. They definitely have them in Cancun/Playa del Carmen and the Dominican Republic, and possibly Turkey. It’s got to be stupendous value on points though I think there may be extra charges for children – but AI for both adults on points is a pretty good deal.

can 506 posts

With Be My Guest certificates, there are major exceptions, including Hilton Sarigerme in Turkey, and perhaps those popular ones in Mexico.
    A quick google search did not return what I was looking for, it is buried in junk blog posts.
    But if you click the T&Cs link from your BMG in your account, you’ll see the exceptions.

meandthekids 66 posts

@can do you have a link to the exceptions? Also I thought the BMGs are sent physically by post. Nothing is in our accounts.

can 506 posts

You are right. I confused it with the “Free Night Reward”, which comes with exceptions: https://www.hilton.com/en/hilton-honors/free-night-reward-terms/

Player 2 has a US amex hilton card which issues those reward nights.

sorry!

aseftel 269 posts

Presumably a relatively large standard room is important if you want to fit your family? Conrad Koh Samui Residences’ standard room is a two bedroom suite.

AndyUK101 49 posts

I stayed at the all-inclusive Hilton in Cancun earlier this year on points (the W/A next door wasn’t open at the time)

Felt like a good use, cash rates were around $600 per night and the quality was much better than expected – the hotel were open to a discussion on a cash upgrade to a suite but we were happy with the room we had

Spent over 1Mn points on that trip in the Conrad Tulum, Hilton Cancun, Hilton Mexico City and Downtown Playa and the 380k spent at the Hilton were by far the best value

Harry T 96 posts

I’ve just completed five nights at the Waldorf Astoria in Beverly Hills, which I would recommend. I appreciate it’s not an actual resort but the weather is pretty good in LA!

Closer to home, the Waldorf in Amsterdam is another excellent property and europe is pretty toasty sometimes with all these heat waves.

The issue with true resorts is that they are often difficult to get to and involve a lot of additional expenses.

iamlost 108 posts

I know you’re iffy on the Maldives, but the Waldorf Maldives was near-perfect. I wouldn’t recommend the Conrad Maldives on points without paying to upgrade to a nicer villa. If you’re iffy in the Maldives, you probably won’t be keen on the Conrad Bora-Bora either…

Stateside, of course the Waldorf Los Cabos is the best if you find any points availability and don’t mind the long flights. Otherwise the Conrad Tulum and Waldorf Cancun (opening November) look good. There are also the three Curio properties in the Florida Keys (one rebranded from a Waldorf this year) worth looking at.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

The UK's biggest frequent flyer website uses cookies, which you can block via your browser settings. Continuing implies your consent to this policy. Our privacy policy is here.