Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Forums Frequent flyer programs British Airways Executive Club The ‘How to book the return leg with 2-4-1 companion voucher’ thread

• NorthernLass 7,592 posts

Yes the mix of points/cash matters – instances in this thread where not selecting the same on each leg has resulted in BA refusing to refund the 50 % avios.

ambellina_x 4 posts

I called the US call centre number via Skype (+1 800 452 1201) last night from the UK at 23:45 GMT to book reward flights T-355 – went through all the menus only to be told they were closed at around 23:55 and the call hung up?

What am I doing wrong?

Is there another number I could call?

Luckily managed to book online but need to book return in a few weeks!

Thanks

HampshireHog 117 posts

Yes the mix of points/cash matters – instances in this thread where not selecting the same on each leg has resulted in BA refusing to refund the 50 % avios.

Yes, I’m aware, however the number of options differs between IB and BA on the flights I’m looking at, it not being a simple BA/BA hence my wondering

HampshireHog 117 posts

To add to my point the RFS option on BA flights gives added options to redeem more Avios over the ‘base’ 75k off peak. The IB options look like the previous non RFS J redemption options where you are stung for using more Avios. They aren’t at all comparable

qc 207 posts

I don’t know if this has already been addressed in this thread but I am going to be booking the outbound to SYD shortly using a 2-4-1. I know the procedure for booking the return if I want to come back directly to LHR but I want a stopover in SIN.

Has anyone done this and had to get it added on to the outbound? I know the extra Avios required for the return with a stopover.

I only have 1 2-4-1 so once I use it I won’t be able to check availability. At the moment there is availability to book with a stopover but maybe not always there especially over Easter.

Should my strategy be to book the outbound then make two phone calls to get each leg of the return added or wait until the final SIN-LHR is available to book?

NorthernLass 7,592 posts

People have done this, if you can be bothered to go through the relevant threads (including this one!) but it seems a bit hit and miss and depends on availability and/or getting a knowledgeable agent. You shouldn’t need extra avios though, unless you book the 2 inbound legs separately, which of course defeats the object of trying to get it all on the 241!

qc 207 posts

People have done this, if you can be bothered to go through the relevant threads (including this one!) but it seems a bit hit and miss and depends on availability and/or getting a knowledgeable agent. You shouldn’t need extra avios though, unless you book the 2 inbound legs separately, which of course defeats the object of trying to get it all on the 241!

Thank you – rather embarrassingly I’m the OP of one of the threads. Not many reports of people doing it.

My problem will be that after I book the outbound I won’t have a 2-4-1 in hand to see when there is availability on the inbound flights.

JDB 4,385 posts

While it can all be included on the 241, it does cost extra Avios as the two legs are charged separately and add up to maybe 40/50k more than the through fare, plus extra cash for taxes/charges.

HampshireHog 117 posts

To add to my point the RFS option on BA flights gives added options to redeem more Avios over the ‘base’ 75k off peak. The IB options look like the previous non RFS J redemption options where you are stung for using more Avios. They aren’t at all comparable

Mmm to answer my own point, just realised using a 241 the max points option is best value, so that will map across to the max points on IB so shouldn’t be an issue Doh

Aston100 1,383 posts

MAD-NRT on Iberia and HND-LHR on BA return, does this work in theory using a 2-4-1?

Yes, this works – but phone BA to book the return leg. (I used a 241 to fly MAD/SCL on Iberia, then BA back from Buenos Aires.

Why ring BA rather than book online and call in for a refund of Avios? I intend adding BA HKG-LHR to my IB MAD-NRT so double open jaw. The other question is does the mix of points matter for each leg as the options are quite different? Hey Ho thought I was pretty well versed on use of the 241 but there’s always another wrinkle!

Can you remember what a peak date Iberia MAD > NRT reward flight in J costs?
    I’ve got a feeling that it might not be that much cheaper than a BA out of London, given the need to fly to Madrid the night before and book a hotel.
    I wonder if this is better as a backup plan if unsuccessful with a LHR > HND at t-355, assuming there is still availability on Iberia if one has to resort to that route instead.

Karin@headforpoints 8 posts

I’m sure this has been covered but I’m new to this 241 booking on busy routes thing: I’ve just booked LHR to Tokyo next year using avios plus cash as the companion voucher CW seats were snapped up before me at midnight. When my return date availability is released in a couple of weeks, if I’m able to use the Cv for the return booking, does the half avios refund from BA still apply? It feels like it should as I would just be doing it in reverse – instead of booking the outbound with the Cv and then the return using avios plus cash, I would be doing it the other way around. Tia 😃

aq.1988 454 posts

I’m sure this has been covered but I’m new to this 241 booking on busy routes thing: I’ve just booked LHR to Tokyo next year using avios plus cash as the companion voucher CW seats were snapped up before me at midnight. When my return date availability is released in a couple of weeks, if I’m able to use the Cv for the return booking, does the half avios refund from BA still apply? It feels like it should as I would just be doing it in reverse – instead of booking the outbound with the Cv and then the return using avios plus cash, I would be doing it the other way around. Tia 😃

Someone will correct me if I’m wrong, but you can’t book the first leg of your 241 booking at full avios, and then request the 50% back. As you are looking to book the Tokyo to LHR leg using your voucher, that is technically the outbound leg of your voucher, so you will have to use the voucher when making the booking. You can only retrospectively ask for the 50% back when making the inbound leg if it was not available when the the outbound was booked. As you are going to use half the voucher for Tokyo-LHR, then the 2nd half of the voucher will still be able to use for the outbound leg of another trip East within the open-jaw and booking rules.

Also, I think one way cash bookings are usually very expensive, so you might want to consider cancelling if its within the 24 hours, and trying again at midnight to book your outbound with the voucher (might be 1am when the clocks go forward).

ed_fly 212 posts

Someone will correct me if I’m wrong, but you can’t book the first leg of your 241 booking at full avios, and then request the 50% back. As you are looking to book the Tokyo to LHR leg using your voucher, that is technically the outbound leg of your voucher, so you will have to use the voucher when making the booking. You can only retrospectively ask for the 50% back when making the inbound leg if it was not available when the the outbound was booked. As you are going to use half the voucher for Tokyo-LHR, then the 2nd half of the voucher will still be able to use for the outbound leg of another trip East within the open-jaw and booking rules.

Also, I think one way cash bookings are usually very expensive, so you might want to consider cancelling if its within the 24 hours, and trying again at midnight to book your outbound with the voucher (might be 1am when the clocks go forward).

Karin has asked this elsewhere as well and been answered there. Seemingly outbound was booked with JAL. Would be best to keep the thread in one place

Mu travel 2 posts

Apart from using Skype which I have never used. Is there another number to contact America to try and get my return from Sydney using 241 voucher? Also I am assuming I will need to ring at 1am from tomorrow?
    Any help/tips please

NorthernLass 7,592 posts

Skype is just an app for making internet calls cheaply, it still uses the normal number. It’s really easy to use, just download it and add some credit.

I’m not 100% sure but my guess is it will be midnight tonight then 1 am after that.

HampshireHog 117 posts

MAD-NRT on Iberia and HND-LHR on BA return, does this work in theory using a 2-4-1?

Yes, this works – but phone BA to book the return leg. (I used a 241 to fly MAD/SCL on Iberia, then BA back from Buenos Aires.

Why ring BA rather than book online and call in for a refund of Avios? I intend adding BA HKG-LHR to my IB MAD-NRT so double open jaw. The other question is does the mix of points matter for each leg as the options are quite different? Hey Ho thought I was pretty well versed on use of the 241 but there’s always another wrinkle!

I’ve got a feeling that it might not be that much cheaper than a BA out of London, given the need to fly to Madrid the night before and book a hotel.
    I wonder if this is better as a backup plan if unsuccessful with a LHR > HND at t-355, assuming there is still availability on Iberia if one has to resort to that route instead.

59500 plus £100 tax one way before 241

Karin has asked this elsewhere as well and been answered there. Seemingly outbound was booked with JAL. Would be best to keep the thread in one place

Sorry I’ve never used this site before and ask the same question on a different thread – the one you referred to but I can’t find the thread so can’t see the responses. Also I didn’t pay cash for the outbound leg, I paid avios plus cash with the hope of using the voucher when the return flights are released. Could you please direct me to the other thread so I can see the responses – if any. Thanks

NorthernLass 7,592 posts

I think it was the Tokyo thread currently running. But what did you actually pay? Did you make a reward booking or use avios to reduce the price of a cash booking (not that it really matters as you can’t use the 241 on JAL).

Also it will really help you to read the articles and relevant threads here to help your travel planning!

aq.1988 454 posts

Sorry I’ve never used this site before and ask the same question on a different thread – the one you referred to but I can’t find the thread so can’t see the responses. Also I didn’t pay cash for the outbound leg, I paid avios plus cash with the hope of using the voucher when the return flights are released. Could you please direct me to the other thread so I can see the responses – if any. Thanks

I thought you meant cash, and reduced the cost with avios. The rest of my comment is valid about the use of the voucher, though. Another poster replied with pretty much the same explanation about the voucher.

Here’s the thread:

https://www.headforpoints.com/forums/topic/tokyo-reward-flights/

ed_fly 212 posts

link here – https://www.headforpoints.com/forums/topic/tokyo-reward-flights/#post-616229 – the more details, and accuracy, you can supply the better. So include what airline, what combination of avios and cash etc you used. to best of my knowledge a flight to Tokyo using avios will always have a cash element. There is a very big difference between booking an avios redemption and paying cash to cover taxes and fees, vs paying cash and using avios to reduce your ticket price. You have seemed to have suggested that the midnight BA avios redemption flights went before you could secure them. At which point you’ve either booked with another airline or bought a cash ticket and reduced the cost with avios. Anyway, as above please use the other thread for replies.

Aston100 1,383 posts

59500 plus £100 tax one way before 241

That is actually bonkers when compared to 90k + a zillion quid that BA charge LHR > HND

totestornot123 49 posts

From the UK, with the recent time change, I assume we won’t be able to call the USA BA Line anymore to book at T-355 at just before 1am?

Which country’s BA phoneline should we use instead? I’m looking at booking an outbound to Tokyo in the coming days, still unsure whether to book via telephone or try to grab them bang on 1am online. Can call agents hold the tickets before its released at 1am?

HampshireHog 117 posts

No I’ve used Japan number previously

travelmonkey 31 posts

I called the US call centre number via Skype (+1 800 452 1201) last night from the UK at 23:45 GMT to book reward flights T-355 – went through all the menus only to be told they were closed at around 23:55 and the call hung up?

I experienced being cut off from this USA number two nights ago, at exactly 1155 GMT while in the queue. I had put it down to being Easter Sunday, but your comment makes me think it wasn’t a special case?

From the UK, with the recent time change, I assume we won’t be able to call the USA BA Line anymore to book at T-355 at just before 1am?

Which country’s BA phoneline should we use instead? I’m looking at booking an outbound to Tokyo in the coming days, still unsure whether to book via telephone or try to grab them bang on 1am online. Can call agents hold the tickets before its released at 1am?

Last night I tested the Japan number before midnight GMT and found them closed, so I called the USA numebr with 25min to go, intending, mostly to ask about the line’s closing time. However I got through to an agent with 10 minutes to go. He was happy to wait the 10min and then secured me my desired LHR-HND 241 seats in Club, although he wasn’t initially confident he could get it as they’re clearly in high demand right now. (Expectation management is important in that situation, no doubt)

I did mention my experience being cut off the previous night and he was surprised by it. My guess (and it’s only a guess) is the USA queue cuts off at 1955 Eastern, but if you’re through the queue and talking to an agent by that point then your call won’t be cut off and we’re good to run for the midnight booking.

Need to do it all again soon for the return…

Re my original question and I apologise if it’s still in the wrong thread but anyway – I spoke to BA earlier to clarify whether the booking we made using avios plus cash on the outbound LHR to HND route for next March meant we couldn’t claim back half the avios when we made the return booking using our companion voucher as suggested on this forum. We hadn’t been able to use the cv for the outbound leg due to the scramble for the 4 cw seats at midnight. BA confirmed that if I book our return flights using a cv they will indeed refund us half the avios from the outbound flight ‘because the return flights aren’t released yet’.

[ppquote quote=616180]

Karin has asked this elsewhere as well and been answered there. Seemingly outbound was booked with JAL. Would be best to keep the thread in one place[/quote]

I thought you meant cash, and reduced the cost with avios. The rest of my comment is valid about the use of the voucher, though. Another poster replied with pretty much the same explanation about the voucher.

Here’s the thread:

https://www.headforpoints.com/forums/topic/tokyo-reward-flights/

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

The UK's biggest frequent flyer website uses cookies, which you can block via your browser settings. Continuing implies your consent to this policy. Our privacy policy is here.