Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Forums Frequent flyer programs Other frequent flyer schemes Business Class upgrade on United booked with Amex offer

• Bella Ciao 22 posts

I booked an economy ticket with a bag to New York in K & T fare class to benefit from the Amex £250 cashback. I am looking to upgrade the flight to Business class either with cash or miles. Has anyone got any experience upgrading with United?

P.S.: Don’t have any miles with United, so my best bet is to buy them if I have to go down that route.

memesweeper 1,255 posts

An alternative to buying miles is transferring (ideally in 60k chunks) from Marriott. It’s 3:1+ 10k bonus. So sending 120k Marriott yields 60k United.

To get 120k Marriott points from Amex you need to send 80k membership rewards to Marriott.

I don’t know the current rates (if any) for buying United or Marriott directly. You can buy additional MRs — there’s an obscure points top up feature at the not attractive rate of 1.5p each.

AlanC 27 posts

Going EDI to Newark on United tomorrow. Booked economy at £583 return less £250 Amex. Just checked in online and offered Polaris Business class upgrade for $599 or £482. Took their hand off at that price.
    AlanC

Bella Ciao 22 posts

Going EDI to Newark on United tomorrow. Booked economy at £583 return less £250 Amex. Just checked in online and offered Polaris Business class upgrade for $599 or £482. Took their hand off at that price.
    AlanC

Congratulations! That’s a great success. Enjoy Polaris.

Thanks for the tip. I will try my luck.

Bella Ciao 22 posts

I am getting a quote of USD 3,916 per person for Polaris. 🙁

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

The UK's biggest frequent flyer website uses cookies, which you can block via your browser settings. Continuing implies your consent to this policy. Our privacy policy is here.