Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Forums Other Destination advice Caribbean or Mauritius in June/July?

• Iranicus 11 posts

Looking at using up some avios to travel to a destination I would not usually go to.

Looking at either going to Antigua, Grenada or to Mauritius. We enjoy snorkelling, pleasant seas, good food, and history.

As this is an ‘extra’ holiday this year, we are keen to keep the cost down. It seems that Mauritius is a lot more affordable than the Caribbean in terms of restaurants. It also seems that fairly basic 2* hotels in the Caribbean are the same price as a nice 4* in Mauritius.

We loved Barbados for its history.

To dare is to do 131 posts

Would it not depend on reward flight availability ?
    Caribbean 8/9 hours flight Mauritius 12 from memory. If you’re planning for this year think you’ll be lucky to find any flights. But who knows.
    I’d secure flights first then plan my trip. Also don’t forget hurricane season in Caribbean.

Iranicus 11 posts

We can see availability for dates which work. We are perfectly fine in economy or premium if needs be :P. Appreciate your point about hurricane season. This is partly why we’re looking at Grenada in June as it’s at the bottom of the hurricane belt.

NorthernLass 7,592 posts

We’ve been going to the Caribbean in July/August for the past few years due to school holidays. It’s very hot and humid but prices are significantly lower than in peak season and hurricanes are actually very unlikely until you get into September. It’s also pretty quiet at that time compared to winter so you have plenty of white sand to yourself instead of fighting for space around the beaches of the Med!

NigelHamilton 208 posts

We’ve booked Mauritius for July. I looked carefully at the temperatures and understand it’s around 25, fairly likely to be dry but with trade winds from the east. Perfect for me but some like it hotter! Of course it’s winter there so shorter daylight hours than you’d get in the Northern hemisphere.

Jill Kinkell 154 posts

June July is Mauritian winter! Cooler evening temps . I’d go somewhere else

meta 1,441 posts

If by cooler you mean 20 degrees, it’s still better than UK with either scorching heat like last year or rain for weeks.

On the other hand, it’s where you stay on in Mauritius will matter. Le Morne has winds year round, Trou aux Biches is not really for swimming in the ocean, so I’d choose north east and east coast for optimum weather in June/July

Iranicus 11 posts

Thank you! No wonder the hotels on the East and North are the best value for that time of year. Makes sense.

Greg 18 posts

I lived in Mauritius for 2 years and June / July are the worst months for weather – cool, wet and you may experience a cyclone.

marshy11 247 posts

I’ve been to all three of your chosen destinations and would definitely NOT go to Mauritius in June/July. I would take my pick from the carribean islands you favour and go in June rather than July, but it’s not a huge difference. We were in Barbados for a Tropical Storm one year but the islands cope incredibly well with holidaymakers if there is anything untoward with the weather.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

The UK's biggest frequent flyer website uses cookies, which you can block via your browser settings. Continuing implies your consent to this policy. Our privacy policy is here.