Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Forums Other Destination advice Chicago (some sort of) Hilton recommendation?!

• Michael C 667 posts

Some of the Hampton Inns (Majestic?) and Homewood Suites have great reviews, whereas a couple of the more classic Hiltons certainly do not!
    New Canopy and LondonHouse both look quite nice?

Only short trip. so ease of transport in and out of airport preferred.

Cheers!

davefl 1,220 posts

Stayed at the Majestic in June. Very convenient for the L, (2 mins walk, but finding it from the L was fun, I kept getting turned around and walking the wrong way which is unusual for me). Finding the L at O’hare was a nightmare coming in from Denver due to massive construction going on there.

It’s ‘historic’ (read:dated) but perfecty clean and the rooms are fine. Elevator can be challenging as it’s busy but it’s quite a small property in terms of number of rooms. Breatfast is in the lobby and the eastern european lady who looks after the buffet is a gem.

I would never stay at the Palmer House again. Massive number of rooms, no acknowledgement of gold my way for breakfast (back when it was free in the USA not $10 credit), unbelievably bad customer service when I left stuff behind in my room. Also windows so filthy dirty you couldn’t see through them.

I don’t see great reviews at the Homewood so never picked that one.

Michael C 667 posts

Stayed at the Majestic in June. Very convenient for the L, (2 mins walk, but finding it from the L was fun, I kept getting turned around and walking the wrong way which is unusual for me). Finding the L at O’hare was a nightmare coming in from Denver due to massive construction going on there.

It’s ‘historic’ (read:dated) but perfecty clean and the rooms are fine. Elevator can be challenging as it’s busy but it’s quite a small property in terms of number of rooms. Breatfast is in the lobby and the eastern european lady who looks after the buffet is a gem.

I would never stay at the Palmer House again. Massive number of rooms, no acknowledgement of gold my way for breakfast (back when it was free in the USA not $10 credit), unbelievably bad customer service when I left stuff behind in my room. Also windows so filthy dirty you couldn’t see through them.

Cheers, Dave, really useful. Such a pity about the Palmer, as the inside décor looks amazing, but everything I’ve read supports what you say!

davefl 1,220 posts

Cheers, Dave, really useful. Such a pity about the Palmer, as the inside décor looks amazing, but everything I’ve read supports what you say!

Certainly worth a 10 min visit to the public areas of the Palmer House as those are exceptional. Also the other Hampton Inn at 68 E.Wacker which used to be the Chicago Motor Club is an art deco masterpiece. Worth wandering to that and seeing the outside and the lobby if you’re into architecture. It features on the Art Deco walking tour from the Architecture Foundation.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

The UK's biggest frequent flyer website uses cookies, which you can block via your browser settings. Continuing implies your consent to this policy. Our privacy policy is here.