Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Forums Payment cards American Express Convert Amex rewards to hotel points for Mexico resort stay?

• ljc 10 posts

We (plus our two young children) are heading to Mexico for three weeks in January and one of those weeks will be at a big Cancun/PdC resort.

Given the weak £ against $ and relatively poor value offered by Avios I’m considering converting the Amex reward points earned from our Platinum cards to hotel chain points and using those to book, as right now it’s £500+ a night.

Has anyone done this before? Are there any good resorts linked to the big chains?

iamlost 108 posts

I just booked 5 nights at the new Conrad. They have wide points availability @ 90k/night (or 72k effectively if you have Hilton status and book in multiples of 5). The cash cost for my dates was $5750. I bought 320k points with the current 100% bonus offer for $1600 and topped up with 40k from my existing stash.

I noticed their 2 Queen bedded rooms available on points sleep 4 people, so your family could all fit in one room if you want.

Olly 242 posts

We stayed at the IC in Feb on an Ambassador 241 rate ahead of the flight home. I wouldn’t rush back

ljc 10 posts

I just booked 5 nights at the new Conrad. They have wide points availability @ 90k/night (or 72k effectively if you have Hilton status and book in multiples of 5). The cash cost for my dates was $5750. I bought 320k points with the current 100% bonus offer for $1600 and topped up with 40k from my existing stash.

I noticed their 2 Queen bedded rooms available on points sleep 4 people, so your family could all fit in one room if you want.

This looks great! Is that bonus offer with Amex or Hilton themselves?

iamlost 108 posts

This looks great! Is that bonus offer with Amex or Hilton themselves?

It’s a Hilton offer on buying points they run a few times a year. I’ve used it before to stay at the Waldorf Maldives and Conrad Maldives at a fraction of the cash rate. It’s covered by Rob here https://www.headforpoints.com/2022/08/05/7pines-sardinia-open/

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

The UK's biggest frequent flyer website uses cookies, which you can block via your browser settings. Continuing implies your consent to this policy. Our privacy policy is here.