Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Forums Payment cards Other payment cards Curve cash advance fees

• chezkig 11 posts

I have used the Curve metal (which allows paying off cards up to £10000 a month) via Virgin and it has now begun charging me hundreds of pounds in cash advance fees. Surely Curve have violated their terms which allows for such transactions to be carried out up to the stipulated amount without incurring any additional fees.

slidey 290 posts

What has started charging you cash advance fees? Curve or Virgin?

If its Virgin, they sent emails last month stating that they would be starting to charge cash advance fees when paying off credit cards. If curve, how much have you put through fronted in the calendar month?

Carlos 758 posts

Do a turn back in time transaction, it will refund and charge another card instead like a debit

chezkig 11 posts

It was Virgin, but Virgin and all other cards have always charged for cash advances and curve fronted was always intended to circumvent this problem

chezkig 11 posts

Do a turn back in time transaction, it will refund and charge another card instead like a debit

This doesn’t work, I have tried it before.

chezkig 11 posts

It was Virgin, but Virgin and all other cards have always charged for cash advances and curve fronted was always intended to circumvent this problem

stevenhp1987 330 posts

Curve isn’t designed to “circumvent” this “problem”.

There are now cash advance charges for cash like transactions on VS cards. Just because they were incorrectly not charging them doesn’t mean they are in the wrong now. Curve / Virgin have done nothing wrong here.

If you don’t like it stop making such transactions.

Mick S 271 posts

you may have to ring to get the fees reversed.

“Go back in time” on curve app and reverse to your bank debit card, or the like. If the fees don’t drop off your credit card then just call them, point out the transaction is reversed. They cannot justify the fee being there, it has to be removed.

SteveJ 979 posts
    chezkig 11 posts

you may have to ring to get the fees reversed.

Everyone is unfortunately missing the point. Virgin has always charged for cash advances but Curve provided a mechanism for overriding this for a monthly charge. Now all of a sudden the same transactions that were put through by Curve so that they would not incur additional charges are being slapped on with heavy penalties.
    “Go back in time” on curve app and reverse to your bank debit card, or the like. If the fees don’t drop off your credit card then just call them, point out the transaction is reversed. They cannot justify the fee being there, it has to be removed.

MattB 261 posts

It’s the exact opposite, virgin T&cs have always said they will charge for cash transactions but their IT wasn’t able to identify most of them them until now.

duke 41 posts

Unfortunately this is what happens when you come to hfp and are spoon fed manaffactured spend opportunities without really understanding how they work. Rinse it to death and then get caught out…when those who do understand have long since moved on. You know they say about something being to good to be true?

Rui N. 831 posts

Yes, all the smugness protects people from being caught out
    Also, if people “moved on” before the opportunity was closed they were not very smart, so they probably aren’t doing very well on those opportunities. But the smugness trumps all ROI calculations.

duke 41 posts

I done well enough, easily had 95’000 free points for the cruise and got another 40’000 since. Sweet as..

The Urbanite 118 posts

Yes, all the smugness protects people from being caught out
    Also, if people “moved on” before the opportunity was closed they were not very smart, so they probably aren’t doing very well on those opportunities. But the smugness trumps all ROI calculations.

I don’t think Duke is wrong. Gone are the days when you could run £18k a day through two Curve cards on one account and get hundreds a week in Curve Cash. Now there’s little tolerance for blatant MS and if the £10k limit doesn’t hinder progress, their account review teams will. They also block transactions to MCC 4829, not that it’s any good for most credit card issuers.

What’s left now is not of much practical use to the casual MSer, but every little helps. These days. The industry as a whole is clamping down on MS and no doubt Curve have had to curb this activity to save their relationship with the remaining card issuers who will work with them and their customers!

• This reply was modified 54 years, 4 months ago by .
    Rui N. 831 posts

Duke said nothing even related to that.

The Urbanite 118 posts

Duke said nothing even related to that.

The point being that it makes sense that the people who were seriously rinsing it would have moved on a while ago, likely when the fronted limitations came in.

Ibblybibbly 31 posts

Sorry if this has been asked somewhere else……but does anyone know, if I overpay a mortgage with Curve with Barclaycard as the underlying card – will I be charged a fee by Barclays and/or Curve ? Thanks.

Rui N. 831 posts

Try it and let us know how it goes.

Harrier25 852 posts

Virgin has always charged for cash advances but Curve provided a mechanism for overriding this for a monthly charge. Now all of a sudden the same transactions that were put through by Curve so that they would not incur additional charges are being slapped on with heavy penalties.

🤣 Please please please call Virgin with this nonsense and report back with their reply!

Reney 763 posts

@ Ibblybibbly who is your mortgage with?

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

The UK's biggest frequent flyer website uses cookies, which you can block via your browser settings. Continuing implies your consent to this policy. Our privacy policy is here.