Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Forums Payment cards Virgin Atlantic Virgin Cash Advance fees about to be applied?

• pbcold 348 posts

We wrote to you last year to let you know we were making some changes to your credit card Terms which came into effect on 5 August 2021.

The changes we were making to Cash Advance fees didn’t happen at that time, and they will now be live from this month.

A reminder about what’s included in a Cash Advance
    We wanted to remind you about some of the changes to the definition of a Cash Advance, which, as well as using your credit card to withdraw cash or buy foreign currency or travellers cheques, now includes the following:

gambling transactions and spread betting
    international money transfers
    paying off other borrowing (like making a payment towards a loan or mortgage or using your card to pay another credit card instead of doing a Balance Transfer)
    adding money to a prepaid card, virtual card or e-money account
    investment activity – this includes binary trading, share trading and adding money to an investment account
    This means that for some transactions you may have made in the past, like paying off a credit card bill or buying crypto currency with your Virgin Atlantic Credit Card, you could now see a Cash Advance fee on your statement and interest applied in line with the Cash Advance annual interest rate.

You also don’t earn any Virgin Points for any Cash Advance transactions.

Details of the fees and rates applicable to your card are on the letter which accompanies your Terms or on your statement.

Roberto 281 posts

Yes, and for curve users “paying off other borrowing (like making a payment towards a loan or mortgage or using your card to pay another credit card instead of doing a Balance Transfer)” might be the paragraph that finally kills the golden goose.

pbcold 348 posts

Agreed. I have hit my credit limit for this month and think that will probably be that.

Andrew. 482 posts

“It didn’t work last time, it’s taken our developers 11 months of work on our legacy systems, we’ve updated the system again, and it might work this time.”

laughingplace 28 posts

Quite frustrating as I had around £10k to put through in the coming days. Wonder if it’s implemented right now or could i get away doing it today/tomorrow.. hmm

_aDifferentSimon_ 85 posts

I paid ihg yesterday – it’s still in pending. I’ll report back with what happens.

duke 41 posts

That JDB or whatever his name is did say this wasn’t over with IHG, looks like this took him sometime to his point across to Virgin. Once people started talking about these things it was never going to last. Despite all the “They know what we are doing” protests. They clearly didnt!!!!

Harrier25 852 posts

With Revolut ending credit card top-ups on the 8th July that golden goose is in full flight!

slidey 287 posts

Didnt che topups from beardy already get cash advance charges? Presumably this is the end of bending beardy to earnie tho.

Alex 46 posts

I immediately paid £100 to nsi to see what happens, will report here and please everyone keep reporting whether the fees start hitting us!

The Savage Squirrel 570 posts

“It didn’t work last time, it’s taken our developers 11 months of work on our legacy systems, we’ve updated the system again, and it might work this time.”

As above, I guess exactly what happens in reality will unfold over time.

HMRC doesn’t come under any of those categories…..

slidey 287 posts

I immediately paid £100 to nsi to see what happens, will report here and please everyone keep reporting whether the fees start hitting us!

Do you see the fees right away with virgin cards or only at the end of the month when the statement is generated?

Alex 46 posts

Do you see the fees right away with virgin cards or only at the end of the month when the statement is generated?

I previously saw the advance fees once when doing Revolut and they appeared after a few days. Of course everything is subject to change these days.

Alex 46 posts

Cash advance fee appeared for my test Revolut payment as expected, no fees for two other payments yet which include nsi

rams 223 posts

Thanks for sharing @Alex

xcalx 55 posts

Just noticed this thread. I did Revolut £5k on 15th and again on the 19th, always paying off the Virgin card within minutes no fees or cash advance charges showing as yet. Want to max out my Virgin limit prior to July 8th.

_aDifferentSimon_ 85 posts

@xcalc – weird – alex’s posts two above yours says a rev payment did attract fees. My payment to ihg on the 12th has no fees so far.

xcalx 55 posts

@xcalc – weird – alex’s posts two above yours says a rev payment did attract fees. My payment to ihg on the 12th has no fees so far.

Yeah. That’s why I thought I would share my experience. Don’t know how long Alex left it before paying off Virgin.

Rui N. 831 posts

Tax free childcare doesn’t seem to attract any fees.

The Savage Squirrel 570 posts

I haven’t even received the letter yet – only aware of this from here 😀 Makes me feel a small test is worthwhile once my statement date clicks over…

Rui N. 831 posts

Wouldn’t it be better to try just before the statement date clicks over? This ways if there are charge and they do not show right away, you’ll see them quickly in the statement.

stevenhp1987 331 posts

Wouldn’t it be better to try just before the statement date clicks over? This ways if there are charge and they do not show right away, you’ll see them quickly in the statement.

Virgin show charges right away.

Been hit by it in the past…

Rui N. 831 posts

Just in case they’ve changed the procedure with the new rules 🙂

Carlos 758 posts

I haven’t even received the letter yet – only aware of this from here 😀 Makes me feel a small test is worthwhile once my statement date clicks over…

Well if you havent been notified and they change the terms and conditions.
    Can you appeal the charges? Surely there are rules

Rui N. 831 posts

The terms have changed last August, no changes now.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

The UK's biggest frequent flyer website uses cookies, which you can block via your browser settings. Continuing implies your consent to this policy. Our privacy policy is here.