Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Forums Payment cards Virgin Atlantic Virgin Cash Advance fees about to be applied?

• Guernsey Globetrotter 587 posts

I for one am really looking forward to reading the tweet to Richard.

Surely that should be ‘the tweet to Beardy’ 😉

Daiboy1980 45 posts

Totally agree – this is more likely to result in a full account audit and closure rather than you getting any refund.

I’ve benefited to the tune of 350k+ points over the last couple of years doing the revolutionary shuffle and when I got hit with a £125 cash advance fee in July, on my regular £2.5k cycle, I just took it on the chin and moved on. Had a few good trips on VS metal out of those plus the 2-4-1 vouchers and more to come.

The last thing you should be doing is drawing attention to unusual patterns of transactions if you want to hold onto your VS card – you would be wise to look for other opportunities instead!

Fully agree with this poster. I have had multiple NYC UC trips, numerous 2-4-1 vouchers, and a load of points to half the price of my holiday. I got stung last month for £285, however, although annoying, I do not want to push my luck. I have done very very well out of this to date, and will accept my penance and move on.

Interesting to see the outcome of your complaint.

NorthernLass 7,569 posts

Anyone else withdrawn their £200 Curve cash recently?

Rui N. 831 posts

£100 ATM on 08 August, no fee.

Rui N. 831 posts

Just got my statement today, and zero fees on 2x£100 ATM transactions this month.

NorthernLass 7,569 posts

Thanks, need to visit the ATM today as the electrician is asking for cash! It’s like pre-pandemic times.

Tracy 315 posts

Can confirm HMRC payments do not attract a fee or interest, my July statement has been generated and paid….3 separate HMRC payments near end July 2022….

Daiboy1980 45 posts

Can confirm HMRC payments do not attract a fee or interest, my July statement has been generated and paid….3 separate HMRC payments near end July 2022….

Well, that is a most welcome turn up for the books!

Tracy 315 posts

@Daiboy1980 Yes it is! I might even keep the card if HMRC remains lol.

NorthernLass 7,569 posts

I thought ours got refused when we paid back the child benefit. Maybe that was Che though?!

Rui N. 831 posts

Tax free childcare works fine, no fees and no need for fronted.

HfP2022New 2 posts

First post, also have been severely stung for fees for PayPal transactions.

Having read the full thread, has anyone found an effective alternative to Curve or PayPal?

tomtom135 9 posts

I got stung too by the new fees for a Curve fronted transaction. Normal transactions seem to go through fine. Was only a matter of time really, I suspect some people were royally tacking the mick to the extent they felt they needed to do this so fair play to them. Have cancelled my VAPP.

harg 8 posts

I can confirm that both ATM and various HMRC payment transactions through July and August 2022 have not attracted a cash advance fee.

HMRC appears as TAX PAYMENTS
    ATM appears as PROFESSIONAL SERVICES NOT ELSEWHERE CLASSIFIED

Neither immediate advances nor end of month statements show these.

Harrier25 852 posts

I can confirm that both ATM and various HMRC payment transactions through July and August 2022 have not attracted a cash advance fee.

HMRC appears as TAX PAYMENTS
    ATM appears as PROFESSIONAL SERVICES NOT ELSEWHERE CLASSIFIED

Neither immediate advances nor end of month statements show these.

Expect fees to be applied in future now you’ve broadcast it on a public forum. You lot never learn!!

Jonny 7 posts

Just paid £5000 of a VAT bill using Virgin via Curve Metal.

There was (for the first time) a fee added to the £5000 (from, I assume, the underlying Virgin card).

I immediately used the “Go Back in Time” function on Curve and put the payment through my Barclaycard Avios card instead. No fee added.

can 506 posts

Would it also work if I pay player 2’s hmrc bill with my bendy metal + virgin?

The Urbanite 118 posts

There was (for the first time) a fee added to the £5000 (from, I assume, the underlying Virgin card).

I immediately used the “Go Back in Time” function on Curve and put the payment through my Barclaycard Avios card instead. No fee added.

Was that the 1.5% Curve fronted fee? This is added the the amount charged to the underlying credit card at the point of making the transaction if you’ve topped about £10k in fronted transactions for the month.

sturgeon 193 posts

There’s a lot to read here. Just checking, I’d Curve entirely dead with Virgin? Was looking into getting one for a trip to the UAE.

Harrier25 852 posts

There’s a lot to read here. Just checking, I’d Curve entirely dead with Virgin? Was looking into getting one for a trip to the UAE.

For general day to day spending and the odd cashpoint withdrawal Virgin is fine with Curve, for money recycling, such as paying off other credit cards, then it’s a Big no go!

Jonny 7 posts

Was that the 1.5% Curve fronted fee? This is added the the amount charged to the underlying credit card at the point of making the transaction if you’ve topped about £10k in fronted transactions for the month.

No, it wasn’t the 1.5% Curve fronted fee (I hadn’t spent anywhere near the £10K limit). The fee was, I think, a cash advance fee from Virgin.

rahaney 44 posts

@jonny – I’m afraid even using GBIT you won’t get the cash advance fee refunded – plenty of us have been stung on this in the last few months

Alex 46 posts

Interesting that there are no fees with £200/month Curve ATM withdrawals. Surely they have some internal way to avoid this gets passed through to the underlying card as the cash transaction.

Chas 139 posts

Interesting that there are no fees with £200/month Curve ATM withdrawals. Surely they have some internal way to avoid this gets passed through to the underlying card as the cash transaction.

Sshhhh! Please….. Comments like yours don’t help in keeping opportunities open.

Jonny 7 posts

@jonny – I’m afraid even using GBIT you won’t get the cash advance fee refunded – plenty of us have been stung on this in the last few months

Yep, you’re right. Damn!

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

The UK's biggest frequent flyer website uses cookies, which you can block via your browser settings. Continuing implies your consent to this policy. Our privacy policy is here.