Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Forums Payment cards Virgin Atlantic Virgin Cash Advance fees about to be applied?

• SteveJ 977 posts

Not Virgin but I got hit today with an interest fee on my MBNA horizon today upon statement generation. It was good whilst it lasted

For doing what?

DarrenS 91 posts

£10 fee hit my card 3rd July. This for a £200 payment to CR card 1st July.

Blair Waldorf Salad 1,087 posts

By payment, you mean paying off a card? There’s been unhelpful ambiguity on this thread as to whether purchases via Curve or paying off a card is being discussed

DarrenS 91 posts

By payment, you mean paying off a card? There’s been unhelpful ambiguity on this thread as to whether purchases via Curve or paying off a card is being discussed

Sorry, paying off credit via Curve Metal.

MattB 260 posts

I assume Virgin was the underlying card with curve?

• This reply was modified 54 years, 4 months ago by .
    SteveJ 977 posts

The ambiguity in this thread makes it the most frustrating thread I have seen in a while!

My personal experience, using free curve I have made both GBP purchases and withdrawn £200 per month, with the paid Virgin CC as the underlying. No fees incurred with either Curve or Virgin. FWIW

_aDifferentSimon_ 85 posts

I have a cash fee posted on the 1st. Annoyingly a did both a curve cash atm and paid creation on that day so not entirely sure what it’s for! 😀

Harrier25 851 posts

I have a cash fee posted on the 1st. Annoyingly a did both a curve cash atm and paid creation on that day so not entirely sure what it’s for! 😀

Which card were you using behind Curve???? God, please delete this frustrating thread before I throw my phone through the nearest open window!!!

Which card were you using behind Curve???? God, please delete this frustrating thread before I throw my phone through the nearest open window!!!

er, the virgin card, this is a virgin card thread!

ahibbitt 11 posts

Since everyone seems to be getting confused about this thread, I thought I’d take a stab at clarifying what the situation is as of 4th July 11am BST:

* For Curve Fronted transactions (eg, paying off another Credit Card or payment to HMRC), Virgin Atlantic Credit Cards have started charging a cash advance fee.

* This seems to be impacting transactions from 1st July onwards. A cash advance is charged once the transaction has processed in the app, which takes 2-3 days and appears as part of your transactions list. Nobody has yet reported what they see on a statement.

* Normal Curve transactions (eg a purchase from a normal vendor made via Curve and targeted at your Virgin Atlantic Credit Card) do not seem to be impacted by the cash advance charge.

* Some have reported seeing similar charges for paying off credit cards via Curve using their MBNA Horizon cards.

What does all this mean? If you’ve been using your Virgin CC to pay off your Amex Card via Curve Fronted to double-dip points, this will become a costly exercise due to additional charges. If you just use Curve to stop you having to carry around your Virgin Atlantic CC and don’t pay off other credit cards with it, you’ll not be impacted.

CarpalTravel 362 posts

Please, please, if anyone is going to post up about having been charged a fee here (and yes, clearly it will have involved using Curve) can you state:

1) What kind of spend it was (e.g. card balance payment – which, HMRC, other)
    2) The underlying card (as multiple have been mentioned)

It is really not at all helpful just to say that you have been charged a fee, game over etc..

Harrier25 851 posts

Harrier25 851 posts

er, the virgin card, this is a virgin card thread!

Nope, because MBNA has also been mentioned in this thread.

I would think that the fee was charged for paying off Creation, not ATM use.

RobL 72 posts

CarpalTravel 362 posts

I am not aware that anyone has posted that they have been charged a fee for paying HMRC.

Given the ambiguity, how would we know if they have or haven’t?!

RobL 72 posts

Given the ambiguity, how would we know if they have or haven’t?!

Some have posted that they haven’t.

Blair Waldorf Salad 1,087 posts

Jesus wept. We’ll find out how many kids Bojo has before we get clarity on this.

Nath4n 66 posts

Data point: NS&I transaction made on 30th (posted 1st July) using Curve to Virgin+ has so far NOT attracted fees.

As stated, there is a frustrating amount of ambiguity. It sounds like:

MCC 6012 (Financial Institution) IS now receiving Cash Advance fees (confirmed in this thread)
    MCC 9311 (Tax Payments) IS now receiving Cash Advance fees (?? needs further confirmation)
    MCC 9399 (Gov Services) IS NOT receiving Cash Advance fees (?? needs further confirmation)

Grateful if anyone can advise further in regards to the above, and I’ll update this information as necessary.

MattB 260 posts

Data point: NS&I transaction made on 30th (posted 1st July) using Curve to Virgin+ has so far NOT attracted fees.

I did the same on Saturday (2nd) and transaction posted today as a purchase with no fees (as of yet anyway)

yes you are correct the fee was for the creation payment (mcc 6012). The ATM (mcc 8999) on the same day was fine.

ZW 30 posts

Data point: paid Amex using Curve Front on 1st July. VA charged 5% cash advance fee, showing as 3rd July.

ThriceForgiven 57 posts

Data point: paid Amex using Curve Front on 1st July. VA charged 5% cash advance fee, showing as 3rd July.

Same thing happened to me. Got stung with a spicy £55. Wondering if I can ‘go back in time’ with the Metal card to avoid fee or too late?

Looks like yet another avenue has closed.

Thegasman 204 posts

MCC 9311 (Tax Payments) IS now receiving Cash Advance fees (?? needs further confirmation)
    MCC 9399 (Gov Services) IS NOT receiving Cash Advance fees (?? needs further confirmation)

9399 definitely attracted fees for me. 2x payments Wednesday 29th, fees hit on Friday 1st.

Alex 46 posts

Monthly statement received. No fee for NSI, last transaction 30th June. No fee for HMRC, last transaction 25th June. NSI’s MCC is 6012 I believe.

Flying Moonwards 31 posts

The differences in treatment between people paying into NS&I is making me wonder whether Premium Bond purchases are being treated differently to e.g. Direct Saver deposits. Direct Saver deposit has attracted a fee for me on 29/06.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

The UK's biggest frequent flyer website uses cookies, which you can block via your browser settings. Continuing implies your consent to this policy. Our privacy policy is here.