Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Forums Payment cards Virgin Atlantic Virgin Cash Advance fees about to be applied?

• Alex 46 posts

The differences in treatment between people paying into NS&I is making me wonder whether Premium Bond purchases are being treated differently to e.g. Direct Saver deposits. Direct Saver deposit has attracted a fee for me on 29/06.

Mine was PB

Thegasman 204 posts

Monthly statement received. No fee for NSI, last transaction 30th June. No fee for HMRC, last transaction 25th June. NSI’s MCC is 6012 I believe.

It’s 9399 hence the “Government Services (Not Elsewhere Classified)” description in the transaction details on the App.

Definitely 2 x 5% fees for me posted Friday for transactions on Wednesday.

Alex 46 posts

Monthly statement received. No fee for NSI, last transaction 30th June. No fee for HMRC, last transaction 25th June. NSI’s MCC is 6012 I believe.

It’s 9399 hence the “Government Services (Not Elsewhere Classified)” description in the transaction details on the App.

Wow sorry to hear that. Is there any way to go back in time or ask Curve for clarification why – as I remember Curve were claiming we won’t encounter fees fo this!

Nath4n 66 posts

Bizarre, nothing here for transactions made after yours.. Were your NS&I transactions that attracted 5% fees for PB’s (showing ‘Gov Services’ in Virgin App)?

Nath4n 66 posts

The differences in treatment between people paying into NS&I is making me wonder whether Premium Bond purchases are being treated differently to e.g. Direct Saver deposits. Direct Saver deposit has attracted a fee for me on 29/06.

Interesting. When did the fees hit for your transactions on the 29th? I’m wondering whether transactions made on the 30th will be hit with fees tomorrow (2 working days)…

Flying Moonwards 31 posts

Fee is dated 30th (i.e. the day after) but not sure if it took a while to show up or whether it was there and visible from 30th. I also didn’t receive the email from Virgin on 13th June referred to in post 1 of this thread, which seems a bit odd/unfair.

Chas 143 posts

I did ATM transactions on 29 June using CRV backed by Virgin. Statement has generated, and no fees. Has anyone tried this since then to confirm how this is being treated now?

Alex 46 posts

I took cash out 2nd July, my statement generated 4th July includes this atm transaction, no fees.

Nath4n 66 posts

Bizarre, perhaps Virgin is applying new rules / fees in tranches, as there’s clearly some conflicting reports across the same / similar dates.

The Urbanite 117 posts

To me it looks like both MCC 6012 and 9399 transactions made from the 1st July have generated the cash advance fees.

duke 41 posts

Mr X strikes again.
    Right, what’s next to discuss on manaffactured spending?

I didn’t think would happen because i thought all the banks knew what we were doing and did not care..

Rui N. 828 posts

The T&Cs were changed almost a year ago, even before Mr. X. The surprising thing is that Virgin is so incompetent that it took then this long to start charging cash advance fees.

Rui N. 828 posts

To me it looks like both MCC 6012 and 9399 transactions made from the 1st July have generated the cash advance fees.

Where can you see the transaction codes?

duke 41 posts

Can’t we go back to bendy, curvey and beardy and keep it all secret..

Bloody brexit did it!

ahibbitt 11 posts

You don’t see the codes directly, but you can see the Merchant Type, which you can then cross-reference with a list like this. If you go to the Virgin CC mobile app, then to the transactions tab and click on any of your transactions, the 2nd line down, below the Merchant Name, but above the Merchant Postcode is the Type.

• This reply was modified 54 years, 4 months ago by .
    Rui N. 828 posts

Thanks a lot. Just want to check if tax free childcare is in any of these codes mentioned here.
    It’s “GOVERNMENT SERVICES-NOT ELSEWHERE CLASSIFIED” which seems to align with some bad experiences above, unfortunately. But I’ll try with £100 just in case it is still fine.

bhanorthy 11 posts

Same as most had a fee hit today.

Gone back on time with Curve to another card, but I doubt I’ll get it refunded. After all we were warned…

JDB 4,341 posts

This thread never ceases to amaze me with endless posts to assist the Virgin Money team to plug the lacunae in the delayed/botched implementation of last year’s T&C changes. While it is a rolling programme, the specificity of posts detailing what types of transaction/MCCs they are currently missing will be manna for this team given the pressure they are under. Congrats.

stevenhp1987 330 posts

This thread never ceases to amaze me with endless posts to assist the Virgin Money team to plug the lacunae in the delayed/botched implementation of last year’s T&C changes. While it is a rolling programme, the specificity of posts detailing what types of transaction/MCCs they are currently missing will be manna for this team given the pressure they are under. Congrats.

Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that…

The Urbanite 117 posts

The easiest way generally is to call the credit card issuer after making a transaction and they should be able to tell you what the MCC was – that’s what I’ve done. I think the Virgin Money app describes the merchant category – you can cross reference with the code in this doc – https://www.mastercard.us/content/dam/mccom/en-us/documents/rules/quick-reference-booklet-merchant-edition.pdf The same can be done with Lloyds Debit cards.

The Urbanite 117 posts

Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that…

The world of MS has moved on from the basic level stuff that has been spoon fed on websites and exponentially increased in volume by virtue of the services offered by Curve. Virgin Money have been on the offensive for at least a couple of years and have clearly already appended those MCCs to their cash advance logic if people are being done for paying off credit cards and doing their NS&I deposits. Spilt milk and all that, every route has its shelf life.

I’d argue that the people who get in there early, without being reliant on published step by step instructions online aren’t stupid. They’ll have adapted to the market and found other ways to quietly continue with their points collecting journeys.

roger 232 posts

Have been hit with £50 cash advance fees.
    Have used card for Seagulls via Curve!
    This is exactly £1000 and £50 fees make up 5%
    Have gone for back in time….will report if fees will be reversed!

roger 232 posts

I have another HMRC CT transaction going through, not sure if it will also be hit with another cash advance fee.
    Unfortunately just renewed my curve metal with £150 few days ago!

stevenhp1987 330 posts

The world of MS has moved on from the basic level stuff that has been spoon fed on websites and exponentially increased in volume by virtue of the services offered by Curve. Virgin Money have been on the offensive for at least a couple of years and have clearly already appended those MCCs to their cash advance logic if people are being done for paying off credit cards and doing their NS&I deposits. Spilt milk and all that, every route has its shelf life.

I’d argue that the people who get in there early, without being reliant on published step by step instructions online aren’t stupid. They’ll have adapted to the market and found other ways to quietly continue with their points collecting journeys.

Except posting all about it online isn’t quiet, in fact, it’s quite the opposite!

Olly 242 posts

Have been hit with £50 cash advance fees.
    Have used card for Seagulls via Curve!
    This is exactly £1000 and £50 fees make up 5%
    Have gone for back in time….will report if fees will be reversed!

My GBIT processed this morning, but showing as a separate transaction, and thus fees remain in place. Need to decide whether I want to try to argue this out with the call centre. My sense is that it won’t be worth the effort

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

The UK's biggest frequent flyer website uses cookies, which you can block via your browser settings. Continuing implies your consent to this policy. Our privacy policy is here.