Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Forums Payment cards Virgin Atlantic Virgin Cash Advance fees about to be applied?

• MattB 261 posts

This thread never ceases to amaze me with endless posts to assist the Virgin Money team to plug the lacunae in the delayed/botched implementation of last year’s T&C changes. While it is a rolling programme, the specificity of posts detailing what types of transaction/MCCs they are currently missing will be manna for this team given the pressure they are under. Congrats.

It laughable that people think it makes any difference, the card companies know exactly what is going on and the extent of it (trust me I work for one). Its just a matter of priority and/or indifference to the scale when it comes to blocking the opportunity. Posting in code or explicit detail on a niche forum in the grand scheme of things makes no difference to their approach.

Andrew. 482 posts

This thread never ceases to amaze me with endless posts to assist the Virgin Money team to plug the lacunae in the delayed/botched implementation of last year’s T&C changes. While it is a rolling programme, the specificity of posts detailing what types of transaction/MCCs they are currently missing will be manna for this team given the pressure they are under. Congrats.

What pressure are they under? When I was in implementation, we brought the core banking system down 4 times a year for major upgrades, then had warranty upgrade options the following month to catch anything that didn’t go quite to plan – although we rarely needed to do that.

There are only 9999 MCC codes, the vast majority of which are for general retail, all Clydesdale need to do is correctly identify and program the the relevant chargeable MCCs.

However, it could be that original system was badly coded and there are only a limted number of “slots” available for chargeable MCCs?

Bella Ciao 22 posts

Anyone managed to get their cash fee reversed after going back in time?

SteveJ 979 posts

It laughable that people think it makes any difference, the card companies know exactly what is going on and the extent of it (trust me I work for one). Its just a matter of priority and/or indifference to the scale when it comes to blocking the opportunity. Posting in code or explicit detail on a niche forum in the grand scheme of things makes no difference to their approach.

What is laughable is that you make the point and miss it all within one paragraph. Limiting the scale by stopping it from coming up in search results is all the code words was ever about.

MattB 261 posts

Do you seriously think the code words helped with that? Its only the people already here who really benefitted and they weren’t exactly hard to crack.

Reddit has millions of people viewing subbreddits related to MS. Plenty of post going back years talking about how to pay their amex via curve.

• This reply was modified 54 years, 4 months ago by .
    SteveJ 979 posts

@MattB that’s how search engines work. If the names aren’t mentioned then no results show up. No Joe Public was googling “how to Bend a payment to Solihull”.

Harrier25 852 posts

@MattB that’s how search engines work. If the names aren’t mentioned then no results show up. No Joe Public was googling “how to Bend a payment to Solihull”.

Just googled that and got the council tax payment page for Solihull Council. So they’re clearly happy to accept payments using Curve! 😂

MattB 261 posts

Yes i know that but what I am trying to say is there is no benefit in talking about bendy and seagulls here when curve and amex opportunities have already been discussed (in plain English and for many years) on one of the worlds most popular sites.

jj 520 posts

Back on topic, a payment using Curve Metal to a long-extinct credit card a couple of days ago shows as a purchase in the app and hasn’t (yet) attracted a fee. There is yet life in the old dog.

ZW 30 posts

Anyone managed to get their cash fee reversed after going back in time?

I used Curve go back in time, original payment was back, cash advance fee didn’t.

duggie1982 263 posts

Barclay Card Avios card, pays Amex bill directly, no cash advance fee and points posted

Harrier25 852 posts

Barclay Card Avios card, pays Amex bill directly, no cash advance fee and points posted

I trust Barclays will thank you for making them aware of this missed back door and I’m sure they’ll be slamming it shut in the coming days. 🙄

duke 41 posts

Mr X got a new letter to write.

duke 41 posts

Or apparently they already know and are perfectly happy with it and would love it to be scaled up a couple 100’000 users

DarrenS 91 posts

Posted in error

duggie1982 263 posts

I am aware of the issue in letting the world know but I’d rather more people get a small piece of the pie than a select few for long period of time. Sorry if you do not agree 🙂

Harrier25 852 posts

I am aware of the issue in letting the world know but I’d rather more people get a small piece of the pie than a select few for long period of time. Sorry if you do not agree 🙂

No I do not agree and neither will many other sensible contributors.

Optimus Prime 61 posts

LOL you should’ve told them in person last night at Hfp party.

Rui N. 831 posts

You’ll see most people will agree if you share something they didn’t know about, but will vehemently disagree if you shared something they were already aware of.

aq.1988 454 posts

I wasn’t aware of this loophole, and I’d be too scared to try tbh.

Do you think BC would revoke any points gained, especially if it was in relation to a SUB?

petter2 13 posts

For those of you who got charged, is the transaction in the app showing as cash or purchase? I did a 6012 charge via curve fronted on Wednesday, and it cleared today without a cash charge, listed as purchase.

Mankhool 32 posts

Maybe its time to move to COT from VA for Curve.

iEimis 79 posts

Paid off an AMEX bill with the underlying VA card a few days back and got hit with £64 cash advance. Used go back in time and will argue with the customer services if necessary. Haven’t received any comms particularly related to cash advance aspect (no email, no letter), otherwise I would have definitely not bothered as 1k or so virgin points is definitely not worth the £64.

Rui N. 831 posts

Didn’t you receive an email last year? That’s the one that matters, as that’s when the t&c changed. The latest one was just a (somewhat odd) courtesy. Can you prove that you didn’t receive such email? Otherwise you won’t go far.

Harrier25 852 posts

The terms have changed last August, no changes now.

It’s been reported on HfP for a long time the Virgin have been charging cash advance fees for topping up Revolut etc. Why people think that using Curve Metal excludes them astounds me. Probably something to do with the Curve marketing, which they should’ve had their knuckles rapped for a long time ago. As far as I’m concerned Curve have been promoting points recycling for years, which makes their involvement in the Creation mess even more sickening.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

The UK's biggest frequent flyer website uses cookies, which you can block via your browser settings. Continuing implies your consent to this policy. Our privacy policy is here.