Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Forums Other Flight changes and cancellations help Delay time to be eligible for compensation?

• slidey 287 posts

How long does a flight have to be delayed to be eligible for compensation between Dublin and New York?

I thought it was over 3 hours, but Im finding some conflicting info that says either 3 or 4?

ChrisC 956 posts

It depends on the distance between the two points.

dougzz99 619 posts

Dublin to New York is definitely over 3500Km, so the comp is €600 for 4 hours plus, and €300 for a delay of 3 to 4 hours.

slidey 287 posts

Its about 3200 miles, which would suggest that theres no compensation until 4 hours, but while trying to validate that, one of the sites I checked suggested that a 3 hour delay for such a distance would be eligible.

slidey 287 posts

Dublin to New York is definitely over 3500Km, so the comp is €600 for 4 hours plus, and €300 for a delay of 3 to 4 hours.

Do you know where the €300 comp for a 3-4 hour delay is detailed? I have checked over the ec261 doc and could only find the reference for 600 over 4 hours when over 3500km, but couldnt find a reference to the 300 comp for between 3 and 4 hours?

JDB 4,383 posts

@slidey it’s a combination of the EC261 legislation itself and the Interpretative Guidelines which at 3.3.2 and 4.4.5 state long delays should be treated the same way as cancellations for the purposes of compensation so that Article 7 applies.

• This reply was modified 54 years, 4 months ago by .
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

The UK's biggest frequent flyer website uses cookies, which you can block via your browser settings. Continuing implies your consent to this policy. Our privacy policy is here.