Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Forums Payment cards Other payment cards Does Curve Card work any more?

• Mick S 271 posts

like you, I’m getting “HMRC” fees when I never used Curve for HMRC. And also, with fronted off.
    I thought with fronted off the transaction should fail, but curve are letting them through and just adding their fee.

I’ve had to add a bank debit card to my Curve wallet now, so I can go back in-time if it slugs me with fees on the first card. It’s needing to be monitored closely now, and its becoming to become more hassle than it’s worth.

Whatsthepoint 122 posts

I only use it for directing debit card transactions plus spending and cash abroad to my Virgin points card. Had the occasional issue with declines but normally works absolutely fine.

Abdul 69 posts

They closed mine after I refused to provide them with years of bank, credit card and NS&I statements. Politely told them to p off.

The weirdest thing is how I don’t miss it. I guess the world moved on since Curve was so revolutionary all those years ago, following on from Supercard.

I get better FX on Revolut, Halifax and Starling. The only Metal benefit I made use of was Fronted. Rest was a complete waste of time, like insurances, lounge access etc. Apple Pay made the whole “use one card” feature meaningless, its faster to switch there than in the App. I only ever used the Metal card in an ATM and one time it got stuck as well! An absolute pain to get bank to the bank in Istanbul and get it back.

I can’t see how they’re making any money, even if travel bounces back, the legacies have reclaimed a lot of lost territory. It’s also worth looking at the other countries where they operate and how, like in France, the big banks are coming up with their own Curve-like features so its not just in the UK where they’re falling behind.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

The UK's biggest frequent flyer website uses cookies, which you can block via your browser settings. Continuing implies your consent to this policy. Our privacy policy is here.