Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Forums Other Destination advice Dubai Expo trip hotel advice

• Colin MacKinnon 283 posts

Off to Dubai at the end of February for the first time.

Big attraction to persuade the other half is the Expo.

Thinking of the IC Marina and taking the subway to the Expo site. Would gain me the Ambassador deal. Is there a better option, is it worth booking via Emyr?

Reviews of the on-site Expo hotel suggest it is noisy, hence looking elsewhere.

If one wanted to swim in the sea, yet be able to get to the Expo site, is there a good hotel with a beach?

Not interested in shopping. Have a birthday while away – so special dinner calls – high up with a view?

Also thinking of going to Musandam for a few days.

Grateful for advice, thanks.

Andrew J 769 posts

Dubai doesn’t have a subway, it has a metro – by definition, a subway is underground and in Dubai it’s an elevated railway which is why it’s called the Dubai Metro.

Also to note that taxis are very cheap in Dubai, so if there’s more than one of you then a taxi is about the same price as the metro and of course much quicker and more convenient.

bungalow 178 posts

I’m off to Dubai next weekend and have my Expo tickets already printed (worth mentioning they are free for over 60’s). As to a hotel, location shouldn’t really matter too much, am sure I read that there are a number of free shuttles to Expo all over the Dubai area, just a matter of locating the nearest one, or as Andrew says, taxis are cheap as chips. As to hotels, I can confirm the Grosvenor House Dubai Marina is hard to beat, am staying there myself for part of my trip. Service is second to none, outdoor pool 4th floor, no beach, but free shuttle (or walk, 10 minutes) to their sister hotel Le Royal Meridian with it’s own private beach. As a Platinum Marriott member I have always been upgraded to a suite after booking an entry level room at Grosvenor House, and the exec lounge is superb, full bar service during happy hour in the evening! Marina area is also at the same end of Dubai as Expo, I would be amazed if a taxi would cost more than a tenner from there.

Benilyn 150 posts

Stay where you want. Uber is cheap, e.g. AED105 from Dubai Mall to Expo 2020, £21~ one way.

Dinner with a view, At.Mosphere at Burj Khalifa (can do brek/lunch/dinner). I’ve never been. If you want somewhere less high, but still a view and somewhere cheaper, Souk Al Bahar has restaurants facing Burj Khalifa so catching dinner there with the fountain show would be nice.

yorkshireRich 185 posts

I’m off to Dubai next weekend and have my Expo tickets already printed (worth mentioning they are free for over 60’s). As to a hotel, location shouldn’t really matter too much, am sure I read that there are a number of free shuttles to Expo all over the Dubai area, just a matter of locating the nearest one, or as Andrew says, taxis are cheap as chips. As to hotels, I can confirm the Grosvenor House Dubai Marina is hard to beat, am staying there myself for part of my trip. Service is second to none, outdoor pool 4th floor, no beach, but free shuttle (or walk, 10 minutes) to their sister hotel Le Royal Meridian with it’s own private beach. As a Platinum Marriott member I have always been upgraded to a suite after booking an entry level room at Grosvenor House, and the exec lounge is superb, full bar service during happy hour in the evening! Marina area is also at the same end of Dubai as Expo, I would be amazed if a taxi would cost more than a tenner from there.

I’ll be there in just over a week so may be there at the same time as you.

bungalow 178 posts

Dubai, or the Grosvenor House yorkshireRich? Will be in GH first week of Feb before heading to Waldorf RAK.

yorkshireRich 185 posts

Dubai, or the Grosvenor House yorkshireRich? Will be in GH first week of Feb before heading to Waldorf RAK.

Hi, yep Grosvenor House from 3rd Feb for just over a week.
    Looked at Waldorf RAK on points and purchasing a few but it was hard enough persuading the OH to go to Dubai.

bungalow 178 posts

Looked at Waldorf RAK on points and purchasing a few but it was hard enough persuading the OH to go to Dubai.

Maybe I’ll see you up in the Level Lounge in the evening if you are about, cheapest 2 hours in JBR, wouldn’t miss it 😉
    I don’t check out until 8th Feb 👍

yorkshireRich 185 posts

Maybe I’ll see you up in the Level Lounge in the evening if you are about, cheapest 2 hours in JBR, wouldn’t miss it 😉
    I don’t check out until 8th Feb 👍

I will be there almost every evening and probably on my own for most of it, as the wife takes so long to get ready. I do hope they serve a pint of John smiths or Tetleys, thankyou.

bungalow 178 posts

Not too sure about the draught beer, but unlike most hotel lounges the Level in GH is divided into a number of separate rooms/sitting areas, one of which is pub themed with an actual ‘sit on a barstool’ bar!

yorkshireRich 185 posts

Not too sure about the draught beer, but unlike most hotel lounges the Level in GH is divided into a number of separate rooms/sitting areas, one of which is pub themed with an actual ‘sit on a barstool’ bar!

not sure if you saw my post on the chat thread this evening.

Currently in the lounge and very organised. We setting up a hfp section of the lounge?

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

The UK's biggest frequent flyer website uses cookies, which you can block via your browser settings. Continuing implies your consent to this policy. Our privacy policy is here.