Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Forums Other Destination advice Dublin pubs

• supergraeme 128 posts

Hello all.

I did Dublin in my late teens/early twenties (twenty years ago) a handful of times and naturally ventured no further than Temple Bar. A trip back to watch Ireland-England a few years ago of course went no further. Going with my partner this time so while we’ll poke our noses in so she can see it for herself, we’re more interested in the slightly quieter, less-touristy (I know, I know) side of pubs in Dublin – ideally within walking distance-ish of Smithfield where we’re staying. I get that I might be asking for a unicorn flying over a rainbow, but I know there’s better than Temple Bar on offer.

We’re going this weekend and usually I’d have begun my research long before but I’ve spent the last couple of weeks in West Africa going to AFCON so have been rather distracted!

Thanks for any suggestions – if such places exist…..

Graeme

MilesOnPoint 80 posts

It’s a little bit of a walk (25mins or so) from Smithfield but for your first stop I would head to Grogan’s on William Street, great Guinness and they have huge piles of toasties (ham, cheese and onion) behind the bar to help soak up the booze. It’s likely to be pretty busy if going in the evenings.

For a more sedate pint with the novelty of table service and very smartly dressed barmen, head on to Neary’s on Chatham Street (just off Grafton Street, 10mins from Grogan’s). The main bar is lively but they also have an upstairs bar that’s a little more relaxed with a few casual food options available too.

If you still have walking in you, head north to Mulligans (approx 12-15 mins), where you will arguably find some of the best Guinness to be had in Dublin.

All 3 of these are worth heading to but you could happily settle in one for the night.

My final piece of advice would be to take the DART north to Howth if you have time, lovely little spot on the sea with lots of excellent seafood restaurants (try the King Sitric) for oysters and crab with proper Irish brown bread. You can have a walk up the hills to stretch your legs post-lunch if feeling energetic.

ratiom 11 posts

Frank Ryan’s is near Smithfield and is a dyed-in-the-wool Dublin bar with great Guinness
    https://maps.app.goo.gl/5DnLEa1enYkgwhiE7

Brazen Head is more touristy but huge and fun to visit on afternoons.

Capel Street has been recently pedestrianized and now has a load of great eateries.
    McNeills pub on Capel is the pick of the litter there: https://maps.app.goo.gl/9R6Am5yu26J7viop7

ratiom 11 posts

Frank Ryan’s just to the west of Smithfield is an old-style Dublin boozer with great Guinness. Find a booth and get settled in.
    A bit touristy, I know, but I do enjoy a pint in the Brazen Head, maybe avoid after 5pm to escape the worst of the hordes.
    Capel Street has undergone a facelift, and there are great restaurants along the entire street. J. McNeils is the pick of the pubs along there.
    If you fancy nipping across the river but not to Temple Bar, I’d highly recommend Stag’s Head, Long Hall and The Swan, all along Georges and Aungier Street.
    Enjoy!

supergraeme 128 posts

This is all great info, thank you! I’ll let you know where we go…..

supergraeme 128 posts

Hello again. Thank you very much for your tips – there were some lovely pubs in there and we really enjoyed them. Didn’t make it to a couple as we’d found some absolute treasures just by wandering (which was much better and nicer than I’d expected). It was amazing how busy just about every pub was at almost any time of the day.

We really liked Howth too, although we got the bus there/train back as we went early. That’s made me give the west coast more thought for the future.

Thanks again!

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

The UK's biggest frequent flyer website uses cookies, which you can block via your browser settings. Continuing implies your consent to this policy. Our privacy policy is here.