Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Forums Other Destination advice eSim for Data roaming in Thailand

• MCO 73 posts

Can anyone recommend a eSim operator that I can use in Thailand. Will be there for 5 days so don’t need a huge amount of data. Just enough to check email and make a few whatsapp calls etc. I have a iPhone 14.

Can I active it before leaving so have data upon landing?

memesweeper 1,256 posts

Try 3 hong kong, global eSIM, 28 or 365 day packages available last time I checked. V cheap for the annual deal.

ChrisBCN 237 posts

I used https://esimthailand.com/ recently, the price was great and it worked excellently in several different parts of Thailand. I activated it the day before travel and it all worked as expected.

BJ 657 posts

Not an eSIM but I’ll post here anyway in event some readers may be interested. I always use True. In November and December unlimited ‘fastest’ data was 300 Thai Baht per month and included some local calls but I don’t recall how many. Thai numbers are recycled quickly when unissued so it is important to top them up periodically and top them up sufficiently if planning to use on a future trip. Topping up 20 Baht per time extends credit and validity by one month. Hence, I topped up 6x 20 Baht to ensure my SIM will remain active for my next trip despite being unused for 6 months. I did not use it but the 20 Baht top ups were also providing one month access to apple music but I have no idea if this was a permanent feature or a temporary promotion. One tbing to be aware of is that the True SJM that provide the cheapest data do not usually include the cheapests iveeseas call. I’m not sure if it still exists but the used to have True International SIM with cheap calls but addjng data to these was expensuve. Thus, I always preferred local SIM with cheap data and local calls, and use skype for international calls.

Michael C 668 posts

Not an eSIM but I’ll post here anyway in event some readers may be interested. I always use True. In November and December unlimited ‘fastest’ data was 300 Thai Baht per month and included some local calls but I don’t recall how many. Thai numbers are recycled quickly when unissued so it is important to top them up periodically and top them up sufficiently if planning to use on a future trip. Topping up 20 Baht per time extends credit and validity by one month. Hence, I topped up 6x 20 Baht to ensure my SIM will remain active for my next trip despite being unused for 6 months. I did not use it but the 20 Baht top ups were also providing one month access to apple music but I have no idea if this was a permanent feature or a temporary promotion. One tbing to be aware of is that the True SJM that provide the cheapest data do not usually include the cheapests iveeseas call. I’m not sure if it still exists but the used to have True International SIM with cheap calls but addjng data to these was expensuve. Thus, I always preferred local SIM with cheap data and local calls, and use skype for international calls.

@BJ
    thanks for that info – can you tether from that sim?

BJ 657 posts

@Michael, yes, I have done so frequently and it has worked a treat. While I’ve used the same SIM and number for years the promotiobs change (got cheaper so far) all the time so on each visit you need to check True web site for latest promotion package codes. Then just top up your phone sufficient credit before texting the appropriate promotion code. Best avoid in person or calls or they’ll try to sell you something else. When going for less than a month ensure you have insufficient balance for autorenewal so that you neither need to cancel, or get charged for something you will not use.

Michael C 668 posts

@Michael, yes, I have done so frequently and it has worked a treat. While I’ve used the same SIM and number for years the promotiobs change (got cheaper so far) all the time so on each visit you need to check True web site for latest promotion package codes. Then just top up your phone sufficient credit before texting the appropriate promotion code. Best avoid in person or calls or they’ll try to sell you something else. When going for less than a month ensure you have insufficient balance for autorenewal so that you neither need to cancel, or get charged for something you will not use.

Sounds good, cheers!

MCO 73 posts

Thank you all.

Someone posted with a referral link and it was a cheap one for $7. His post has been deleted though. Anyone know what comoany that was?

Go197 78 posts

Thank you all.

Someone posted with a referral link and it was a cheap one for $7. His post has been deleted though. Anyone know what comoany that was?

That would have been Airalo eSim.

Airalo works well and is fine value in Thailand.

I live in Thailand and I use AIS. Much the same cost as True. AIS The One sim is 1 baht per min on calls. unlimited data is 300 baht per month.

Easy to find tourist sims in any 7-11

BJ 657 posts

I’m pretty new to eSims but have used Airalo successfully in Qatar and Australia. I have a referral link if you want to try it – GEOFFR1184

You’re obviously quite new to HFP etiquette too 🙂

Gavin454 160 posts

I used Airalo recently, worked perfectly and seemed quite cheap. Nice to not have to bother with buying a physical SIM from somewhere and putting it into my phone.

MCO 73 posts

Thank you all.

StaggerLee 61 posts

I used https://esimthailand.com/ recently, the price was great and it worked excellently in several different parts of Thailand. I activated it the day before travel and it all worked as expected.

I second this. I used it in November and it worked perfectly in Bangkok and Phuket.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

The UK's biggest frequent flyer website uses cookies, which you can block via your browser settings. Continuing implies your consent to this policy. Our privacy policy is here.