Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Forums Payment cards American Express Eurostar Business Premier lounge and Amex Plat – do they check your identity?

• cska 55 posts

Travelling with a friend soon on Eurostar and wanted to see if I could get them access into the Eurostar business premier lounge with my supplementary card (which has only my family name on the card). From others’ experience, do they double check the card name against a form of ID and would my friend therefore be denied access?

Thanks!

Rob
    HfP Staff
    2,205 posts

It depends, is the unhelpful answer.

There is no desk at the London lounge, just a person standing on the door. Sometimes you can wave your Platinum card vaguely in their direction and you can walk on. If its quiet they may want to look at your ticket. It’s a bit risky to be honest.

PeteM 714 posts

The last few times I have been through they have checked the ticket name against the card name.

pelicanicecoffeeolaf 64 posts

The last few times I have been through they have checked the ticket name against the card name.

Same, used it 3 times so far, 2x in London and 1x in Paris, and they’ve checked it against the ticket every time, but so far they’ve never checked the card itself, as in they’ve never checked I’m still paying for the card (although I am).

John 1,000 posts

… but do they scan the ticket barcode or could you get away with editing the name??

Eurostar itself doesn’t check your name!

Wiseoldman 69 posts

… but do they scan the ticket barcode or could you get away with editing the name??

they match the name on the ticket to the name on the card. you can get away with editing if you wanted to. they have no way of checking validity of the amex card

JDB 4,369 posts

they match the name on the ticket to the name on the card. you can get away with editing if you wanted to. they have no way of checking validity of the amex card

Isn’t “editing” in this instance just a euphemism for forging? All to get into a lounge? Feels like a rather slippery slope…

mark2 127 posts

On the subject of Eurostar, has anyone travelled to Lyon or Avignon and so swapped to a TGV. If so do you stay in a similar class esp. Business Premier?

elguiri 216 posts

Just came back from Paris, London lounge looked at validity of card, and whether personal, then checked name against printed tickets. They did let our 5yo in as well. Pity the french border control computers went down so everybody was an hour delayed in the queue and we had only 5 mins in the lounge to grab some cans.

At Paris when we showed our Amex Plats, were shown a printout by the bouncer which stated that children over 4 were not allowed in via Amex Plat. Multiple families after us were turned down too. The lounge was empty as well – only 2 others in it. We split up and one of us went in, filled up with drinks (smoothie bar was nice) whilst the other waited outside with child, then swapped over. At least the magazine rack outside the lounge had a good selection of reading material.

NigelHamilton 208 posts

On the subject of Eurostar, has anyone travelled to Lyon or Avignon and so swapped to a TGV. If so do you stay in a similar class esp. Business Premier?

I don’t know the answer to whether your through ticket will be in first, I’d be amazed if it wasn’t. What I can say is that first on a TGV is nowhere near the step up in quality such as business premier or even first in the UK. If you were to buy from SNCF, the tickets just cost an extra 10 EUR or so bought in advance, no free food or drink, just a roomier seat and (usually) a quieter carriage.

zapato1060 633 posts

Is this the same case in airports? Do they check validity or just name check with boarding pass?

Wiseoldman 69 posts

Is this the same case in airports? Do they check validity or just name check with boarding pass?

No at the airport you show use PRiority Pass which they check/run like a credit card authorization. At Amex Centurion lounge they run and verify the card.

lordy 51 posts

No at the airport you show use PRiority Pass which they check/run like a credit card authorization. At Amex Centurion lounge they run and verify the card.

Yes pretty sure they just physically check at Eurostar / Same at Plaza

John 1,000 posts

You won’t get away with editing the name on an airplane BP

mark2 127 posts

What I can say is that first on a TGV is nowhere near the step up in quality such as business premier or even first in the UK. If you were to buy from SNCF, the tickets just cost an extra 10 EUR or so bought in advance, no free food or drink, just a roomier seat and (usually) a quieter carriage.

I think that you are referring to TGV OUIGO which may be a misspelling of ennui.
    There is also TGV Lyria which has Business 1e which is like Eurostar Business Premium with food etc. but only runs to Switzerland.
    In fact she has hanged the plan so we are now going on the Glacier Express instead?
    Information is not easy to come by. I asked Eurostar and they said that they would try to answer within 28 days. At that time they asked me to indicate if I still wanted and answer!

NigelHamilton 208 posts

What I can say is that first on a TGV is nowhere near the step up in quality such as business premier or even first in the UK. If you were to buy from SNCF, the tickets just cost an extra 10 EUR or so bought in advance, no free food or drink, just a roomier seat and (usually) a quieter carriage.

I think that you are referring to TGV OUIGO which may be a misspelling of ennui.
    There is also TGV Lyria which has Business 1e which is like Eurostar Business Premium with food etc. but only runs to Switzerland.
    In fact she has hanged the plan so we are now going on the Glacier Express instead?
    Information is not easy to come by. I asked Eurostar and they said that they would try to answer within 28 days. At that time they asked me to indicate if I still wanted and answer!

The Ouigo is a low-cost TGV version, where I have seen tickets for EUR 10 (usually more) but is actually pretty good. The Lyria to Switzerland, as you mention has three classes, including a business premier.

I was referring to the “normal” TGV which runs in most of France and where first class tickets are usually 10 EUR on top of the price for a second class ticket.

My in-laws are travelling first class next week from Paris to Turin on a TGV, then back on the Italian equivalent. Be interested to find out if that is closer to the TGV Lyria or analogous to the normal TGV.

The Glacier express should be amazing!

Lady London 2,040 posts

Trentalia started running between Paris and Italy via Lyon earlier this year. So far as I know they hsven’t got “5th freedom” rights to just sell between the goldmine Paris and Lyon, you do have to be travelling between countries to use it I think. It runs a different route to the previous TGV route. Prices very reasonable.

If they’re in Business equivalent then if they load the app “Portale Freccia’ this links to entertainment and games etc like on a plane.

The Glacier Express runs in Switzerland and does’t connect to Eurostar as far as I know

mark2 127 posts

I wanted to go on Eurostar using MR points. The Glacier Express is completely different, connected to a Rhine cruise.
    We once went from Milan to Stresa on a Swiss train which made Eurostar look very downmarket. I booked on Trenitalia so Italian fare. When we had a couple of drinks and snacks on the train at Swiss prices they cost more than the first class fare! I looked to see how much it cost to upgrade to Excellence on the Glacier Express. It was more than £400 each on top of the first class fare.
    Thanks for all the help.

sloth 315 posts

I went on the Bernina express this summer which I really enjoyed, unbelievable views and scenery. The Glacier Express looks great also but will aim to do that one winter I think

Also for anyone going south from Gare de Lyon, make sure to go in the Train Bleu restaurant. Not cheap but a great ‘waiting room’ before your train

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

The UK's biggest frequent flyer website uses cookies, which you can block via your browser settings. Continuing implies your consent to this policy. Our privacy policy is here.