Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Forums Payment cards American Express Gold to Platinum UPGRADE offer (new monthly subscription & 30K bonus)

• babyg 15 posts

I got the following pop up with logging into amex today. Ive had a platinum in the last 24 months, but i am wondering if this new offers means ill get a SUB. Anybody else got this and recieved the bonus ?

With a new monthly subscription and limited time offer, now is a great time to discover Platinum.
    Upgrade to Platinum and enjoy exclusive benefits such as access to over 1,400 airport lounges, comprehensive worldwide travel insurance and hotel upgrades.

30,000 point welcome bonus

Monthly subscription of just £48

babyg 15 posts

Just to answer my own question.. I clicked on the link and god
    “We’re sorry. You do not have a card eligible for this offer.”
    Great IT work amex…

_aDifferentSimon_ 85 posts

I had this pop up too. I do have a gold and only a platinum sup, so you would think I might be eligible… but I also got the “We’re sorry. You do not have a card eligible for this offer.” message.

alig4th 322 posts

Complete guess, but perhaps this is only for those with legacy Gold charge cards, rather than Credit cards (as upgrading from Gold CC to a Charge product sounds a bit odd T&C wise)… But that doesn’t explain while those NOT eligible are getting the popup. As someone said, “well done AMEX IT”.

My wife also got a pop up on her Green supp card (on my Plat) offering her 12,000 for referrals… But obviously it’s not possible for her to refer (right?), so no idea what that’s all about…

Tom2 113 posts

I have successfully upgraded through the popup offering 30k MR for £4k spend in 3 months at £48 a month. Reference point – downgraded my Plat to Green around 18 months ago (due to COVID).

Youllnever 182 posts

Does the upgrade offer’s T&C have the lifetime language?

can 506 posts

I’ve had Plat for years and at this point I learned in the daily chat here that instead of paying the fee annually I could opt in monthly fee. It adds up to the same amount. I called and they said it is a different product — a different Plat.
    I switched And they sent me a new shiny metal card.

It seems that now they are also advertising it.

Youllnever 182 posts

I’ve had Plat for years and at this point I learned in the daily chat here that instead of paying the fee annually I could opt in monthly fee. It adds up to the same amount.

Actually, you’re £1 worse off every year.

can 506 posts

I’ve had Plat for years and at this point I learned in the daily chat here that instead of paying the fee annually I could opt in monthly fee. It adds up to the same amount.

Actually, you’re £1 worse off every year.

:)) not if I am investing the annual fee

Macca86 3 posts

I have just seen the same offer and just jumped at it and was accepted! I’ve had the gold charge card since 2014, certainly looking forward to having this card and the added travel perks.

t0m 74 posts

Is this targeted? I checked my gold charge card account and couldn’t see the promo.

Macca86 3 posts

Is this targeted? I checked my gold charge card account and couldn’t see the promo.

I hadn’t received any notification, but just went through this link https://www.americanexpress.com/uk/benefits/upgrade/platinum-charge/

Youllnever 182 posts

Looks like the lifetime language is in the T&C, so anyone that has gotten the upgrade bonus before isn’t eligible.

Rob
    HfP Staff
    2,198 posts
    Youllnever 182 posts

@Rob the article says “There is no restriction on qualifying for the 30,000 points bonus as long as you can spend £4,000 in three months.”; This isn’t completely true – you can’t have had the upgrade bonus before.

Youllnever 182 posts

I hadn’t received any notification, but just went through this link https://www.americanexpress.com/uk/benefits/upgrade/platinum-charge/

Looks like the lifetime language is still in the T&C, so anyone that has gotten the upgrade bonus before isn’t eligible.

Benilyn 150 posts

Did it work? Curious to here success / failure stories. Thanks

NvT1115 6 posts

Just successfully upgraded my Amex Green card using the offer. Should there be a progress bar showing in the rewards section for progress against the £4k spend for the bonus?

Wally1976 188 posts

Just successfully upgraded my Amex Green card using the offer. Should there be a progress bar showing in the rewards section for progress against the £4k spend for the bonus?

There probably won’t be but I think you can ask on the Chat for confirmation that you are registered for the offer.

rum 275 posts

I applied and got accepted straight away. I was told by CS that I am eligible for the bonus as I hadn’t had one before whilst upgrading in this way.

No progress bar is showing for me either.

Benilyn 150 posts

Any data points on the 30K hitting?

rum 275 posts

Just posting a heads up for anyone taking up this offer who may have a supplementary card on their Gold or Green charge card.

When I applied for the upgrade to the Platinum card, there was an option to select the card type that it should be upgraded to. The default option (I think) was “The Platinum Additional Card”, which is not the free supplementary Platinum!

That said, Amex have told me they are going to rectify this and will send out the correct card. So, in case you are in this situation, I suggest choosing the option “The Platinum Supplementary card” from the upgrade stage.

Hope this helps someone.

Tom2 113 posts

Hit the spend target on Saturday and 30k bonus showing in my account already.

Carlos 758 posts

Hit the spend target on Saturday and 30k bonus showing in my account already.

You had the gold/green charge card before right? assuming you have not taken an upgrade bonus in the past (no limit in time)

Dan88 35 posts

I called amex today to double checked when I cancelled my card, and I enquired if the plat fee would be charged when I apply for me to pay the following month, and the person told me they charge it per month now rather than in full, which I prefer to be honest.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

The UK's biggest frequent flyer website uses cookies, which you can block via your browser settings. Continuing implies your consent to this policy. Our privacy policy is here.