Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Forums Hotel loyalty schemes Hilton Honors Hilton or Doubletree in York

• can 506 posts

Heading to York soon as a family for a few days, and much prefer to stay in a Hilton.

Any advise? Both Hilton and Doubltree properties look tired.

The Savage Squirrel 568 posts

They are. It’s more they’re coming to the point in the cycle where they need a refurb, rather than being total dumps or anything, so depends on your expectations. The Hampton Piccadilly is very new as it has only been open a year or two, if you’re looking for a more modern property. Location very central.

John 1,000 posts

When the Hampton(s) are frequently more expensive than the DT and often more expensive than the Hilton that’s saying something.

I needed to be in York quite a lot in the last 2 years and only stayed in the DT once, when somehow I got it at 20k points, I got an nice upgrade to a large room but it had no natural light. A bit far from city centre – fine when on holiday, not so good if you need to rush in and out a lot.

The rest of my trips it just wasn’t worth paying the ridiculous rates for Hiltons so I stayed in Ibis and Premier Inn, or Hilton Leeds (not great but cheap and I often got a suite) and a few times I just got up at 1am and drove from London.

can 506 posts

I cannot handle Hampton breakfasts if I am traveling for pleasure, I am afraid. Both are less than £100 for my days which surprised me.

The Savage Squirrel 568 posts

I cannot handle Hampton breakfasts if I am traveling for pleasure, I am afraid. Both are less than £100 for my days which surprised me.

In that case my advice is don’t stay in a Hilton :D. For cash consider, Premier Inn will do the job just as you’d expect, The Grand will do a high quality job, Grays Court will do an interesting historical job and Fat Badger will do a fun pub-next-to-the-walls-with-rooms job.

DarrenS 91 posts

I have stayed at both and the new Hampton, Piccadilly, which is probably in the best location, but the breakfast is awful. I prefer the Hilton, which in my experience has better rooms and much better staff than the Doubletree. That said the Princlpe and Indigio are head and shoulders above.

sloth 315 posts

Hilton better than the DT. Not brilliant but better definitely, with a better breakfast also

can 506 posts

Thank you all

tw33ty 185 posts

The Hilton is really tired and dated.

The indigo is very nice, if it doesn’t have to be Hilton group hotel you stay at

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

The UK's biggest frequent flyer website uses cookies, which you can block via your browser settings. Continuing implies your consent to this policy. Our privacy policy is here.