Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Forums Other Destination advice Hong Kong and Shanghai – Visas

• NP 17 posts

I am thinking of booking a trip to China this year. Based on Avios availability, I can book London to Hong Kong and return to London from Shanghai (with a side trip to the Philippines). From what I understand the tourist visa is not available yet but transit visas are.

Given I’ll be booking a series of separate flights does anyone know if the transit visa would work for this trip? The planned trip is from London to Hong Kong (3 nights), then Hong Kong to Manila (1 Week) and Manila to Shanghai (2 nights). Then back to London.

kai 77 posts

Yes, as long as you do A – China – B and A and B are different countries.

TJones 44 posts

Be sure to use the correct terminology at check-in, etc. It is “Transit Without Visa” (TWOV) and not a “Transit Visa”. A transit visa is something completely different that must be applied for in advance. “TWOV” is not a visa. If an agent looks at Timatic when you check-in, you need to be sure that they are checking for “TWOV” not “Transit Visa”.

strickers 651 posts

There’s a really long thread about it on FlyerTalk, it’s been dormant for obvious reasons but there’s been a flurry of recent activity. One anecdote is that the glue on the stickers they use for TWOV had dried up. As said above ensure you use the correct terminology, you aren’t applying for a visa you are transiting without one for 24/72/144 hours maximum depending on location.

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/china/708095-china-24-72-144-hour-transit-without-visa-twov-rules-master-thread-455.html

NP 17 posts

Thanks all, very helpful

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

The UK's biggest frequent flyer website uses cookies, which you can block via your browser settings. Continuing implies your consent to this policy. Our privacy policy is here.