Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Forums Hotel loyalty schemes Hilton Honors How are room upgrades determined?

• dundj 80 posts

@dundj Sounds manual. Did you see the upgrade today? What upgrade did it show 3 days prior-if any?

To be honest, I only looked late last night so have no idea.

HJ 37 posts

Hilton introduced automatic upgrades in November. The upgrades are determined in the following order:
    Points bookings (over 100k)
    Lifetime Diamond
    All other Diamond members

However, a hotel can choose not to participate in this and there is no exclusion list published. I also found out at one hotel, they can decide which rooms are in the upgrade pool and in that particular hotel they can manually override it at check-in an give you a downgrade or upgrade. The rationale for that particular hotel is that they are going to upgrade repeat customer first.

Very interesting, I didn’t know that! Is that official or something you just heard?
    I’m Diamond and coughing up 320,000 points in the Waldorf RAK in a few weeks, I was there last Sept and they upgraded me to a Junior Suite from a standard room, but I expect it to be a lot busier this time. We’ll see if that system plays out. 👍

I’m there in a few weeks too. Coughed up the same 320k but checked again today and rates were much lower, so actually managed to rebook at 79k per night. Every point counts I guess…

ATP 59 posts

I’m booked for WA RAK as a HH Gold. Booked the entry classic room, emailed shortly after booking asking if upgrade was available for a sea-view room, and I actually received a generous upgrade for 4 levels higher for a Junior Suite with Sea View and balcony. Same for our other room (gold guest in there too). Never hurts to ask! Staying 5 nights.

blue_wolf 28 posts

Got an upgrade to a King Executive Room at Hilton Edinburgh Carlton when we asked by email a couple of weeks in advance. This was in response to their “would you like to purchase chocolates & wine for your room for Valentine’s weekend” email, and since we agreed to purchase that, that may have helped convince them to do the upgrade… and it gave us access to the executive lounge here too.

Hilton Gold via Amex Plat.

DJJ 10 posts

I’m booked for WA RAK as a HH Gold. Booked the entry classic room, emailed shortly after booking asking if upgrade was available for a sea-view room, and I actually received a generous upgrade for 4 levels higher for a Junior Suite with Sea View and balcony. Same for our other room (gold guest in there too). Never hurts to ask! Staying 5 nights.

I was at Waldorf RAK recently – also Hilton Gold. Booked entry room but upgraded to King Grand Junior Suite sea view and balcony (sounds similar to you). We were given similar upgrade when we stayed here previously. Enjoy your stay!

DJJ 10 posts

Hilton introduced automatic upgrades in November. The upgrades are determined in the following order:
    Points bookings (over 100k)
    Lifetime Diamond
    All other Diamond members

However, a hotel can choose not to participate in this and there is no exclusion list published. I also found out at one hotel, they can decide which rooms are in the upgrade pool and in that particular hotel they can manually override it at check-in an give you a downgrade or upgrade. The rationale for that particular hotel is that they are going to upgrade repeat customer first.

Very interesting, I didn’t know that! Is that official or something you just heard?
    I’m Diamond and coughing up 320,000 points in the Waldorf RAK in a few weeks, I was there last Sept and they upgraded me to a Junior Suite from a standard room, but I expect it to be a lot busier this time. We’ll see if that system plays out. 👍

I’m there in a few weeks too. Coughed up the same 320k but checked again today and rates were much lower, so actually managed to rebook at 79k per night. Every point counts I guess…

May I ask what made you choose points option (asking as wondering if I missed a trick)? I stayed at WA RAK this month and looked into points option (80k per night) but room rate was around £250 per night. Thought might be better to save points for another redemption when rates are higher and pay up this time (ended up getting 60k points for stay too).

JohnTh 61 posts

Just seen for tonight’s stay at Heathrow T2/3 that our room now shows as (upgraded to) High floor Runway view. First time seen auto upgrade.
    Surprised that these rooms are ones looking over T2 even if on floor 13.
    Hoping to try Qantas and Cathay lounges tomorrow before early Naples flight!

AL 579 posts

Just seen for tonight’s stay at Heathrow T2/3 that our room now shows as (upgraded to) High floor Runway view. First time seen auto upgrade.
    Surprised that these rooms are ones looking over T2 even if on floor 13.
    Hoping to try Qantas and Cathay lounges tomorrow before early Naples flight!

Big fan of those rooms, especially given the proximity to T3 for VAA to save trekking from T5 the night before off a BA fight. Hugely thick windows help keep noise out, but you spot all sorts on the tarmac when it livens up again from early morning.

Gary 293 posts

Hilton newbie. Booking a Sat (one) night stay at Canopy by Hilton London City. Would like to stay in junior suite or above. Both of us have HH Gold fr Amex.

HH App prices
    A) King Premium room £361 (free cancellation up to 2359hr day before)
    B) Junior suite £446 (same terms as above)
    C) One-bedroom suite £541 (same terms as above)

What options below would be best? I am leaning towards option 3.

1) book A and hope for upgrade to B
    2) book B and be pleasantly surprised if upgraded to C
    3) book both A & B from different HH accounts, and check APP to see what upgrades offered and cancel one accordingly. How soon prior to check-in does HH app confirm/offer the upgrade?

PS It’s part of Amex Hotel Collection but no credit if just one night I think. Also considered Emyr but probably a bit of an overkill for a one night stay.

E 92 posts

The upgrades are often only confirmed when you check in and actually arrive at the hotel in my experience. I have had the odd occasion where it looks like I’ve been upgraded but when I arrive at the hotel I’ve found I’m back to the original room type booked. They offer them subject to availability so not sure option 3 is your best plan.

If you really want a junior suite, book a junior suite.

NorthernLass 7,544 posts

Emyr has booked the odd one night stay for me and you still get all the benefits. Certainly for the some of bookings he’s made we’ve had 2 cat upgrades (presumably one for Emyr and one for status), e.g. at the Kimpton Fitzroy we booked a superior room and were upgraded to a beautiful junior suite. This showed in my account soon after booking, but you can always contact the hotel to ask them what they can offer. I can’t speak for Hilton as I usually book direct.

BJ 657 posts

Just stayed a couple of nights in Ealing of all places. A Doubletree but no upgrade confirned in advance or at check in. Infact no Diamond recognition at all except breakfast, and presunably MyWay points which have still to arrive as I just checked out today. I checked and better rooms were available on the app for both nights I stayed. What likeĺy happened to the Hilton pre-arrival upgrade confirmation, can hotels opt out of these? I did not raise the upgrade issue on site, I’m curious to see what happens when I copy a shirt complaint to both the hotel manager and Honors regards their respective failings.

Alex G 435 posts

I stayed at a couple of Hiltons in the US in July (redemptions), chose a room using the app, and didn’t get upgraded.

I stayed at the DoubleTree in Harrogate a couple of weeks ago. Booked a cheap double. Got upgraded to a very nice Deluxe King at check in, and a voucher for two free drinks. Cash booking, 4 night stay.

Stayed at the DoubleTree in Chester June 2021, 5 night redemption. Asked about an upgrade at check in, was told none available. Told them they had a Junior Suite available on line. Embarrassed receptionist said she would investigate, and after a 30 minute wait we got it (and drinks vouchers).

One thing which has been consistent is an invitation to bid for a paid upgrade the day before arrival, which is damn cheeky.

So my advice, don’t select a room in the app, and check availability on line just before you enter the hotel.

I’m Gold.

John 1,000 posts

Just stayed a couple of nights in Ealing of all places. A Doubletree but no upgrade confirned in advance or at check in. Infact no Diamond recognition at all except breakfast, and presunably MyWay points which have still to arrive as I just checked out today. I checked and better rooms were available on the app for both nights I stayed. What likeĺy happened to the Hilton pre-arrival upgrade confirmation, can hotels opt out of these? I did not raise the upgrade issue on site, I’m curious to see what happens when I copy a shirt complaint to both the hotel manager and Honors regards their respective failings.

In theory, all hotels where the published benefit is an upgrade (subject to availability) are part of the 72-hour automatic advance upgrade notification system.

In practice, they can override the upgrade assigned by the computer, and they can also manipulate availability so the computer doesn’t assign any upgrades when the hotel’s revenue manager doesn’t want it to.

I would be interested in the response of the hotel and/or Hilton if you retained proof that many better rooms were still available to book at say 10pm on your arrival date, but if you didn’t raise the issue when you were there, it’s not like they can upgrade you retrospectively and they can just say “it was an error and we would have if you had asked”

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

The UK's biggest frequent flyer website uses cookies, which you can block via your browser settings. Continuing implies your consent to this policy. Our privacy policy is here.