Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Forums Payment cards American Express How soon can I qualify for the companion voucher again?

• can 506 posts

Most recently, I’ve got my companion voucher this month on a BAPP card i took out in November.

Can I cancel now and reapply sometime in the summer to start the clock for the companion voucher? In this way I am hoping to get the voucher twice within a year. Makes sense?

• This topic was modified 54 years, 4 months ago by .
    RobL 72 posts

Can’t

can 506 posts

Why not?

0 post

From the AMEX website.

“Travel with a Companion Voucher

Get a Companion Voucher when you spend £10,000 each membership year on the Card, which you can use to take a companion with you. Vouchers are redeemable when you book an Avios reward flight in any cabin.”

I think they’ll know it’s you reapplying unless you lie in your application, in which case you’ll not deserve a new card.

masaccio 722 posts

My wife has a card too so we get two vouchers a year. That’s the only way

Jonathans 121 posts

The membership year resets every time you cancel and reapply, so do the benefits. Therefore you can get multiple vouchers per year in theory. Obviously you won’t get sign up bonuses but will get referral bonuses. But as it’s not in the spirit you’re at the mercy of Amex as to whether they’ll accept you back time and time again if you do it regularly.

AJA 1,071 posts

Do what masaccio says or if they dont already have a card refer your partner for the BAPP, then after card is issued get the bonus 3k Avios for a supplementary card which you use to spend £10k and get a second voucher.

If you have a HHA it makes no difference who earned the Avios.

The only issue I see is if it is possible to spend 2 vouchers earned by 2 different members of the HHA at the sane time online. I’m pretty sure they would allow it over the phone.

Personally I wouldn’t want to give Amex any reason to figure out you’re bending the rules and refuse to issue you a card in the future.

The rules otherwise are pretty clear only one voucher per 12 month period.

• This reply was modified 54 years, 4 months ago by .
    can 506 posts

Thanks all.

Player2 is taking a break from Amex to reset her clock. Hence the “need” to bend the rules a bit further.

ed_fly 211 posts

If you cancelled the voucher you earned the first time around would theoretically be voided, so I wonder if you waited say 6 months, you’d be able to trigger another one. Wonder if you get a different result if you swapped from a blue to bapp?

CarpalTravel 363 posts

If you cancelled the voucher you earned the first time around would theoretically be voided, so I wonder if you waited say 6 months, you’d be able to trigger another one. Wonder if you get a different result if you swapped from a blue to bapp?

What do you mean by “theoretically be voided”? Once you earn a voucher it is on your BA account for the duration, regardless of what you do with the card.

ed_fly 211 posts

What do you mean by “theoretically be voided”? Once you earn a voucher it is on your BA account for the duration, regardless of what you do with the card.

in practice yes the voucher is unaffected by cancelling the card, but depending on how you interpret the poorly worded t&c’s there are some obligations to keep a BA Amex otherwise the voucher becomes invalid. (See the recent thread about the person who paid by Mastercard and had a 2nd set of Avios debited from their account). Amex agents regularly tell people their voucher will be cancelled when cancelling their card.

can 506 posts

Can they cancel the voucher after I booked the flight but not yet have flown it?
    I am getting my voucher this month [already qualified], and booking a flight very very soon to fly in the summer.
    What if I used the voucher and book my flight and then cancel my BAPP? Can they take my flight and seats 🙂 ?

I will move my spending to the new barclays avios plus so no need for a BAPP.

Rob
    HfP Staff
    2,202 posts

Your voucher is untouchable once in your BA account.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

The UK's biggest frequent flyer website uses cookies, which you can block via your browser settings. Continuing implies your consent to this policy. Our privacy policy is here.