Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Forums Payment cards Other payment cards The HSBC Premier Mastercards thread

• Guernsey Globetrotter 584 posts

The place to discuss the fee-free HSBC Premier Mastercard and the annual-fee bearing HSBC Premier World Elite Mastercard – some of the best non-Amex points earning cards in the UK!
    https://www.headforpoints.com/2021/01/17/review-the-hsbc-premier-mastercard-credit-card/
    https://www.headforpoints.com/2021/01/19/review-hsbc-premier-world-elite-mastercard-credit-card/
    GO!

• This topic was modified 54 years, 4 months ago by .
    Martin 3 posts

I have one for a few years. I wonder if there’s any pattern in HSBC offers of bonus on points transfers to Avios?

nw8727 22 posts

Have many people had issues downgrading from World Elite to the free card? When I spoke to HSBC the other day it seemed like a real mess to try and do this!

Youllnever 182 posts

I have one for a few years. I wonder if there’s any pattern in HSBC offers of bonus on points transfers to Avios?

They ran the bonus point transfer offer during August of 2021, 2019 and 2018 if that’s what you meant?

Guernsey Globetrotter 584 posts

It may be easier to just cancel and then complete a separate application for the new card, such is the general incompetence of HSBC administration!
    * This is a reply to NW8727 above…

• This reply was modified 54 years, 4 months ago by .
    Guernsey Globetrotter 584 posts

PS You can earn the World Elite card sign-up bonus again after a six month gap, much better than the 24 months that Amex impose. That could make the annual fee more palatable and the gaps can be filled with the free card…

Youllnever 182 posts

PS You can earn the World Elite card sign-up bonus again after a six month gap, much better than the 24 months that Amex impose. That could make the annual fee more palatable and the gaps can be filled with the free card…

What about the hassle of actually upgrading/downgrading the card? Last I heard it involved mailing the application forms back and forth?

BuildBackBetter 705 posts

When upgrading or applying for the paid version, will there be a review of premier status?

memesweeper 1,242 posts

When upgrading or applying for the paid version, will there be a review of premier status?

Not in my experience, no. And I happened to notice recently my qualifying insurance product had been cancelled about four years ago by Player 2, and I still have a Premier Account! Need to get something lined up to replace it…

memesweeper 1,242 posts

It may be easier to just cancel and then complete a separate application for the new card, such is the general incompetence of HSBC administration!

Perhaps, but if you can make upgrade/downgrade work properly, you keep your points balance neatly in one place. If you were to close/reopen, you’d probably have to spend the balance.

rum 275 posts

Taking out a new card account with HSBC will undoubtedly result in a full credit check with them, so choose this option wisely if that will be an issue for you.

If they do make a mess of upgrade/downgrade, I suggest raising a complaint with them using the secure message feature online. You’re bound to get something back as a result of their fairly regular c**k-ups!

YH 20 posts

Reaching the end of my 2 years with the Premier World Elite card – want to downgrade to the Premier World card.

Do I need to call or is there a way to do this online? And does anyone know if they re-issue and post a new card or can I keep my existing card and card number?

Thanks

Benilyn 150 posts

Must call to do upgrade (assume same for downgrade). Likely trigger a credit check.

Zana 28 posts

Reaching the end of my 2 years with the Premier World Elite card – want to downgrade to the Premier World card.

Do I need to call or is there a way to do this online? And does anyone know if they re-issue and post a new card or can I keep my existing card and card number?

Thanks

Even more complicated, I’m afraid. When I downgraded 18 months ago, I called and was told that HSBC will send out a physical form (for the new free Premier card) for me to fill out, sign and return. Downgrading in HSBC terms constitute a cancellation of the paid card and “new application” for the free card.

The first form never arrived. I had to call again, three weeks later, to ask for a second form. Then had to drop off the second form at a branch because I couldn’t risk all the hassle again for the form to get lost in HSBC’s post processing queue. And then the first form arrived. I then got the free card two weeks later. And then had to call to get the paid card’s NEW annual fee to be refunded, because it took so long for the downgrade process, that my renewal date has passed.

If your renewal date is coming up, I suggest that you call ASAP and flag that renewal date to whoever you speak to. That way, at least there’s a record that you asked to downgrade before the renewal date.

Thanks Zana, did they let you keep the points from the paid card after downgrading?

Zana 28 posts

Thanks Zana, did they let you keep the points from the paid card after downgrading?

Yes, no issues with that. In fact, the transfer of points into the new free card was the simplest part! It seems that HSBC systems recognise it as the “same pot” and just transferred it across without you having to ask!

rum 275 posts

Thanks

Yikes, I realised I am in the same boat as you as well and will also be downgrading. Going to call them and will report back with an update.

rum 275 posts

Yikes, I realised I am in the same boat as you as well and will also be downgrading. Going to call them and will report back with an update.

Replying to myself here…

So far have spoken to 3 different people and have been on the phone a good 40mins, 38 minutes of which has been on hold.

Are HSBC really this bad? I know they’ve had some issues with staff, but not knowing what their own processes or procedures are is really pathetic for a Premier product. The first person I spoke to couldn’t distinguish between “downgrade” and “download”!!

sloth 315 posts

Replying to myself here…

So far have spoken to 3 different people and have been on the phone a good 40mins, 38 minutes of which has been on hold.

Are HSBC really this bad? I know they’ve had some issues with staff, but not knowing what their own processes or procedures are is really pathetic for a Premier product. The first person I spoke to couldn’t distinguish between “downgrade” and “download”!!

they are appalling tbh, 99% dont know their a** from their elbow and is in no way a premier experience. I did eventually speak to someone based at HSBC Malta who was extremely helpful, knowledgeable and full of common sense. definitely an outlier tho

rum 275 posts

OK, I finally got an answer after speaking to a fourth person (I’ve actually lost count!). Call lasted close to an hour. This is usually a five minute job on the phone to Amex and it’s pretty straight forward.

First I asked about whether they will be giving us another year free. Best answer I could get out of them was “it’s currently showing a cost of £0 but it could change”. It’s not like I was asking for the weather forecast in April, but felt like that’s how the answer was… it maybe, could be, should be, but possibly won’t be. Clear as mud.

Then the last person I spoke with all but confirmed I need to fill in a form and post it back to them. They suggested I do that nearer the time as they may be offering £0 annual fee then, to which I suggested I had better get the form and have it here just in case. I can then send it back nearer the time and won’t need to wait for it then. I then had to answer a bunch of questions (sounded like they were doing a credit check but then they assured me they weren’t…) and hear a bunch of legal blurb (why do they tell you this over the phone when you receive it all in the post anyway?).

Long story short, forms are being sent and I need to wait for them to arrive. I think it’s a good strategy as current times for the post = expected timeframe + 10 to 14 days on top of that for my area.

TGLoyalty 499 posts

You understand these are customer service staff who help with queries based upon current policies using tools/FAQs they’ve been provided etc. They’re not in anyway connected to the management within HSBC who decide if it’s going to be free of not?

They can’t tell you what they don’t know and your questioning of CS staff to tell you the future is frankly baffling.

• This reply was modified 54 years, 4 months ago by .

First I asked about whether they will be giving us another year free. Best answer I could get out of them was “it’s currently showing a cost of £0 but it could change”. It’s not like I was asking for the weather forecast in April, but felt like that’s how the answer was… it maybe, could be, should be, but possibly won’t be. Clear as mud.

If you had given them your crystal ball, they could have answered you in a min.

HSBC does have poor customer service, but looks like some customers have a poor attitude as well.

Lady London 2,020 posts

Does anyone else agree that it would be useful to have the HSBC card(s) as a separate subheading within the Cards category on the forum, rather than have them under Other within the Cards category?

Rob
    HfP Staff
    2,195 posts

There is a reason why we didn’t do it, which will become clear soon enough ….

Lady London 2,020 posts

Uh-oh.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

The UK's biggest frequent flyer website uses cookies, which you can block via your browser settings. Continuing implies your consent to this policy. Our privacy policy is here.