Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Forums Frequent flyer programs British Airways Executive Club Iberia not recognising BA silver status on booking

• VickyTM 111 posts

I have just booked a economy basic flight on Iberia and have entered my BA number but it’s not letting me select a seat for free. Is this correct? I have BA silver status.
    Thanks

roger 232 posts

I have just booked a economy basic flight on Iberia and have entered my BA number but it’s not letting me select a seat for free. Is this correct? I have BA silver status.
    Thanks

Could be temporary glitch.
    Should let you book select seat but IB IT is equally woeful.
    If you are flying on A350 you may be able to select PE seats even at check-in if not taken up by others.

Jacob 223 posts

It’s been doing this for me too… Just select the paid seats, click continue and the payment never comes up (or you cancel it) but the seats get selected. Happened to me on my last 3 flights (and is happening on 1 future one too).

VickyTM 111 posts

Thanks – I’ll try that!

VickyTM 111 posts

Also… Should I be able to select the extra leg room seats on Finnair without paying? Do you know?

VickyTM 111 posts

@jacob – how far through the payment process do you have to go for that to work?

Jacob 223 posts

@jacob – how far through the payment process do you have to go for that to work?

I don’t remember, but I think I didn’t even got to a screen to put my card details or anything… Are you doing this on the app or website?

PB2 198 posts

This has been happening to me for at least 6 months now. This is a work around I posted elsewhere – doesn’t work for everyone mind:

I’ve had similar issues with BA Silver OWS number on an iberia booking. Called up last week for one reservation and also got told to “tell them at the airport what seat you want to sit in”!? And this was after he spoke to a supervisor…!

A tweak to the work around that’s been discussed before:

1. Make booking on iberia.com and add FF during process. Rarely this is enough to be allowed free seat selection. Booking email received with 5 digit reservation code.
    2. Call iberia and ask for the 6 digit Amadeus code (every iberia reservation has 2 codes for 2 different systems – I don’t know why). You can explain it’s for a known work around to select seats – a problem that’s at least 6m old.
    3. Login to the iberia manage my booking with the new 6 digit code. The reservation is the same/identical – but it probably won’t have your frequent flyer number saved on this side. Add FF number to booking – and see if you can select seats – this usually still doesn’t allow free selection.
    4. Now go to oneworld member rj.com . Login to MMB here using the 6 digit code – click on seat map and you should now be able to select a seat for free. Save that and close.
    5. Login to iberia MMB with either code and you should now see your selected seat saved. Sometimes it’s only visible for me on one side, but usually both. Rj.com method works about 90% of the time for me. Ps. I wouldn’t mention to iberia that you want the 6 digit code for rj.com – just say for their website to select seats.

AL 579 posts

This particular problem infuriates me, too. I have previously worked around it by finding the IB PNR by taking the ticket number from the original receipt, plumbing that in to Iberia’s website, and noting their PNR. Sometimes, it has let me add seats online; other times, it has not but gave me enough information to call Iberia and get them to do it for me. Once, nobody could help, so I ended up paying for seats and claiming the cost back from IB, which was much faffery.

roger 232 posts

Remember IB on many flights allow check in ( try app if website doesn’t work) more than 24 hours earlier.

I have checked on Saturday morning ( after midnight on Friday) for Sunday evening departure. YMMV.

Jacob 223 posts

@VickyTM – just tested on my booking. So what I did:

1. Login to Iberia MMB (make sure my FF number is correct)
    2. Go to select seats – it’s quoting me £11 per person, it’s 2 of us so the total is £22, choose my preferred seats and click Confirm. Now the change is in the “basket” pending the payment.
    3. I just close the browser – login back to IB MMB and I can see the new seats confirmed – behold Iberia’s IT. This was an IB flight booked via BA, but I’m pretty sure I did the same steps back in April when I had pure IB booking.

Hope it helps and works for you too.

VickyTM 111 posts

2. Go to select seats – it’s quoting me £11 per person, it’s 2 of us so the total is £22, choose my preferred seats and click Confirm. Now the change is in the “basket” pending the payment.
    3. I just close the browser – login back to IB MMB and I can see the new seats confirmed – behold Iberia’s IT. This was an IB flight booked via BA, but I’m pretty sure I did the same steps back in April when I had pure IB booking.

Awesome – Thanks

Omegaman 39 posts

I did the same thing a couple of weeks ago. Worked for me, booked the exit seats.

VickyTM 111 posts

It worked!! Thanks

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

The UK's biggest frequent flyer website uses cookies, which you can block via your browser settings. Continuing implies your consent to this policy. Our privacy policy is here.