Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Forums Payment cards American Express IHG / Amex offer – spend £300, get £70 back

• rk1 47 posts

Has anyone had any luck getting IHG amex discount on advance bookings?

hugog 41 posts

Yes – ihg has worked for me
    The Hilton one has not and I think it is because if you take off the currency surcharge I am
    Under 200

LiamG 32 posts

My Intercontinental The George Edinburgh hasn’t triggered it unfortunately. I’m guessing it doesn’t like something about the transaction name.

rk1 47 posts

I’m having an issue with The George Edinburgh as well – nothing triggered.

LiamG 32 posts

I’m having an issue with The George Edinburgh as well – nothing triggered.

(Apologies, I hit report by mistake instead of quote… they really should fix that!)

Did yours post as “3CPAYMENT*INTERCONTINEN EDINBURGH” as well?

John 1,000 posts

The Hilton offer has no problems with hotels using 3CPAYMENT

Andrew J 769 posts

The Hilton offer has no problems with hotels using 3CPAYMENT

Or the Bicester offer.

Anna 458 posts

3C also worked for me.

Note that I recently had an issue with the Hyatt offer, it was saved to main and supp BAPP but didn’t trigger and Amex are saying they can’t see it from their end and opened an investigation.

rk1 47 posts

My IHG booking posted as 3CPAYMENT*INTERCONTINEN EDINBURGH on my Amex. Might give Amex a call to check if offered saved on their system. But get feeling Amex might say payment has to be made at hotel.

LiamG 32 posts

My IHG booking posted as 3CPAYMENT*INTERCONTINEN EDINBURGH on my Amex. Might give Amex a call to check if offered saved on their system. But get feeling Amex might say payment has to be made at hotel.

I spoke on live chat to them yesterday and they said they’d escalated it to their manager who would make an exception if every other part of the rules/conditions was complied with… but, i’ve not heard anything yet. Let me know how you get on the phone and i’ll do the same if you’re successful.

rk1 47 posts

Just spoke to Amex through chat – case is escalated to Amex validation team and they will get back to me in 7-10 days.

JMSP 1 post

Hi it seems as though your particular hotel Intercontinental The George Edinburgh is Not on the Participating
    Hotels on the list that has been supplied by Amex

Andrew J 769 posts

Hi it seems as though your particular hotel Intercontinental The George Edinburgh is Not on the Participating

Mystery solved! I thought it was strange if the 3C was the issue.

E 92 posts

It’s on the list that I can see. It’s on page 1 with some of the other Intercontinentals, and not with the other UK hotels listed further on.

pointsfan 38 posts

It’s on the list that I can see. It’s on page 1 with some of the other Intercontinentals, and not with the other UK hotels listed further on.

yeah I can also see it on page 1

LiamG 32 posts

Still no update from my escalated case on AMEX from this. I called at the weekend and said they had 10 business days, so it should have been sorted today.

Guy on the phone said the case notes mentioned a few other people having the same issue with this hotel.

NorthernLass 7,595 posts

Hmm, I’m intending to to use the offer at The George the weekend after next but at checkout so we’ll see how that goes By sheer dumb luck prior to the offer appearing I had booked an expiring Ambassador free night and the price is £309!

GaryE 45 posts

Still no update from my escalated case on AMEX from this. I called at the weekend and said they had 10 business days, so it should have been sorted today.

Guy on the phone said the case notes mentioned a few other people having the same issue with this hotel.

Hi I had a similar problem with the Marriott offer spend £300 get £100 back. Likewise I spoke to live chat and escalated it to the manager who raised a complaint. I received a call from Amex agent and the issue was how the hotel had processed the transaction at checkout. Did you manually checkout ie settle the bill and used your card at checkout, or did you either do Express checkout or say to the hotel pay the bill with the card on file? This is what happened with me I told them to take payment from my Amex card on file, and they then processed the transaction as an online transaction, NOT a checkout transaction – which meant that the offer was invalid as online transactions were excluded. The Amex agent explained this to me and then agreed to process the credit as how the payment was processed was out of my control.

LiamG 32 posts

Hi I had a similar problem with the Marriott offer spend £300 get £100 back. Likewise I spoke to live chat and escalated it to the manager who raised a complaint. I received a call from Amex agent and the issue was how the hotel had processed the transaction at checkout. Did you manually checkout ie settle the bill and used your card at checkout, or did you either do Express checkout or say to the hotel pay the bill with the card on file? This is what happened with me I told them to take payment from my Amex card on file, and they then processed the transaction as an online transaction, NOT a checkout transaction – which meant that the offer was invalid as online transactions were excluded. The Amex agent explained this to me and then agreed to process the credit as how the payment was processed was out of my control.

It was an advanced payment from a standard IHG.com booking – I think this is part of the issue, so the hotel processed it before I arrived – and something about their system didn’t work.

RonnieB 288 posts

So are we clear that a non refundable advance booking where payment is taken does not trigger this offer?

ie ***Offer valid on checkout spend only at participating locations.

JDB 4,386 posts

So are we clear that a non refundable advance booking where payment is taken does not trigger this offer?

ie ***Offer valid on checkout spend only at participating locations.

The issue is that generally it will work if the hotel takes the payment (as opposed, for instance, to any central reservations) but if for any reason it doesn’t trigger, Amex may rely on the terms quoted above to refuse the credit.

NorthernLass 7,595 posts

Has anyone managed to get the rebate from The George? It’s been 4 days now and mine hasn’t posted – every other successful use of one of these offers (including the IHG one on our other card) has triggered the cash back within 24 – 48 hours so I’m assuming something has gone wrong here.

I’m still chasing my Hyatt rebate which Amex just doesn’t seem to want to engage with!

E 92 posts

@NorthernLass Was your Hyatt one an advance purchase? I’ve got an advance purchase rate with Hyatt and it hasn’t given the cashback. I’m not sure whether to chase as I won’t be staying at the hotel in the offer period so think Amex will reject it.

billyrayvalentine 25 posts

Sorry to hijack, but does anybody know if this is cumulative?

NorthernLass 7,595 posts

@E – yes, and an identical transaction posted on my supp card! Amex is saying I didn’t save the Hyatt offer to the main card, despite me sending them a screenshot of the saved offer so it seems I’m going to have to fight for it.

@billy – yes it’s cumulative. Last month I managed to spend £299 (!) at a HIEX, but then a £75 HI stay last week triggered the rebate within 24 hours.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

The UK's biggest frequent flyer website uses cookies, which you can block via your browser settings. Continuing implies your consent to this policy. Our privacy policy is here.