Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Forums Hotel loyalty schemes IHG One Rewards Join Ambassador and earn 20,000 points [September 2022 offer]

• Harrier25 852 posts

With the Dollar currently so strong against Sterling, it makes the 40,000 points option much more attractive.

BJ 657 posts

@Guernsey, I don’t disagree, for many it’s a fine offer and particularly for those paying renewal or focussing on IHG, even noting comments from @Harrier. My problem is atm I have all my plans made through next 12 months, and I’m disinclined to add two winter stays to qualify. Having said that I have 6 HI breakfasts and 8 Indigo breakfasts coming up in 2023 that woul in themselves wipe the £175 fee out but I’d prefer to put the £175 towards 14 (un)cooked to order breakfasts elsewhere as I’m not a great fan of hotel buffets anyway. But if I can get more bang for my $200 in two months I might still go for it.

NorthernLass 7,571 posts

With the Dollar currently so strong against Sterling, it makes the 40,000 points option much more attractive.

True! I noticed that when I re-joined a few weeks ago, it cost the equivalent of £166, now that’s £173.

It’s come at a good time as we’ve decided fairly late on for us to do a trip to Scotland at half term. Hotel prices are still through the roof so we’ll get to try the Kimpton Blythswood (finally) with the BOGOF certificate. If that doesn’t trigger the offer we’ve got 2 paid nights at the Intercontinental Doral at New Year.

Mark Peterborough 29 posts

I think the 15k bonus went a bit back.

@Mark
    Peterborough – “cheap” IHG nights are few and far between atm, however I managed to book 2 nights using the BOGOF at the Kimpton Blythswood Square Thursday to Saturday, total cost £199 because Thursday is *relatively* cheap. Also the Kimpton Clocktower can be had for £145 pn Sundays and some mid-week nights. I don’t think you’d find anything cheaper outside the UK just now.

I’m assuming Emyr deals would count as qualifying – you get tremendous added value with these, often with a double upgrade.

Thank you , good shout if I decide to have a couple of nights away.

moody 38 posts

Would the complimentary Weekend night need to be used by Dec 22 or would you have a calendar year from the date of joining?

moody 38 posts

Would the complimentary Weekend night need to be used by Dec 22 or would you have a calendar year from the date of joining?

Nevermind – just saw NorthernLass’ response on the previous page – thanks!

Jamjaw 37 posts

I did this and it did work to extend diamond (just before the hack) – Do I need to speak to them to add AMB status to existing reservations (particularly a Mr and Mrs Smith one)? Or will it just work?

BJ 657 posts

I did this and it did work to extend diamond (just before the hack) – Do I need to speak to them to add AMB status to existing reservations (particularly a Mr and Mrs Smith one)? Or will it just work?

Ambassador provides benefits at IC, diamond etc at other brands (at least in theory).

Jamjaw 37 posts

and Mrs Smith

Yes – but also benefits at Mr & Mrs Smith hotels per ambassador website – no concern over Intercontinental stays, but the Mr & Mrs Smith stay would be nice to get benefits!

kai 77 posts

True! I noticed that when I re-joined a few weeks ago, it cost the equivalent of £166, now that’s £173.

It’s come at a good time as we’ve decided fairly late on for us to do a trip to Scotland at half term. Hotel prices are still through the roof so we’ll get to try the Kimpton Blythswood (finally) with the BOGOF certificate. If that doesn’t trigger the offer we’ve got 2 paid nights at the Intercontinental Doral at New Year.

The offer is only for renewals on or after Sep 2

Phil H 10 posts

Data point, just renewed Ambassador and Diamond status extended by 12 months to December 2023 straight away.

Swifty 44 posts

I have an offer of renew and get 15k points and get 20k with 2 stays. Have spent all my points I’ll just pay I think

gtellez 162 posts

Can you use the night certificate for a Sunday to Tuesday booking? If so, how can I know how much is the ambassador rate? Currently looking at Kimpton Amsterdam and the prices are very high (£300 prepaid rate). It would be a huge discount plus I would renew Diamond.

Froggee 896 posts

I believe you can use it any time of the week at Kimptons until the end of 2022. You can search rates at this link. Click on the room type you like and see if the Ambassador free night rate shows up.

Sorry – I lifted the link from another travel blogger so it’s messy!

[cut – short version below]

davefl 1,220 posts

When you see a URL like that you can take out everything after the question mark, so it just becomes:

https://www.ihg.com/intercontinental/content/us/en/ambassador/free-weekend-certificate/book

Froggee 896 posts

Every day’s a learning day!

gtellez 162 posts

I believe you can use it any time of the week at Kimptons until the end of 2022. You can search rates at this link. Click on the room type you like and see if the Ambassador free night rate shows up.

Sorry – I lifted the link from another travel blogger so it’s messy!

[cut – short version below]

That was very helpful! I finally joined ambassador (for 40k points, although I will recover 20k later) and booked two nights at Kimpton de Witt, the second night costs almost €500. Amazing deal!

NorthernLass 7,571 posts

What was the Ambassador rate compared with the standard one? There have been some ridiculously inflated prices over the past year; it’s taken some creativity to get value out of our last couple of certificates!

MilesOnPoint 80 posts

Has anyone had expiring IHG Diamond status extended via joining Ambassador *AFTER* the data hack took place?

gtellez 162 posts

What was the Ambassador rate compared with the standard one? There have been some ridiculously inflated prices over the past year; it’s taken some creativity to get value out of our last couple of certificates!

Like 50 euros more than the cheapest rate (10-15% more) and very similar to best flexible rate.

gtellez 162 posts

Has anyone had expiring IHG Diamond status extended via joining Ambassador *AFTER* the data hack took place?

Yes, I did it this morning and 5 minutes later my status was renewed until 12/23

achoogirl 33 posts

Mine still shows Dec 22 although I’m only Plat Elite not Diamond.

MilesOnPoint 80 posts

Yes, I did it this morning and 5 minutes later my status was renewed until 12/23

Excellent, good to know. Thank you 👍🏻

Froggee 896 posts

I finally bit the bullet and pulled the Ambassador trigger this afternoon using 40,000 of my hard earned IHG points as who has US$200 nowadays?

Obviously it didn’t extend diamond immediately because that would have been too easy. I did get a welcome to diamond email immediately but it took a full 40 minutes before my “diamond until” date changed to 12/23.

I only have two free stays (one expiring Creation night and a cheapy redemption – both at Kimpton Charlotte Square) booked currently and am unlikely to do any other ones than these. I tried to request a £26 E-upgrade (to hit $30 spend as per Ts & Cs) but the onscreen confirmation resulted in an email saying they have fulfilled my request to cancel the upgrade. Yay IHG IT.

So I think I’ll just give up and forget about the 20,000 points.

I think we might see if we can use the Ambassador night for a monster suite at the O2 IC at some point although that could be the tail wagging the dog.

I’m assuming Ambassador night validity is in US date format as 11th January next year seems an unlikely expiry date!

NorthernLass 7,571 posts

I’ve got 2 nights booked at the Kimpton Blythswood which should trigger the 20k rebate, however I’ve read a recent review on Tripadvisor saying a Diamond member was refused the free breakfast benefit – has anyone stayed there since it was introduced?!

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

The UK's biggest frequent flyer website uses cookies, which you can block via your browser settings. Continuing implies your consent to this policy. Our privacy policy is here.