Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Forums Hotel loyalty schemes IHG One Rewards Join Ambassador and earn 20,000 points [September 2022 offer]

• Comrade Chag 79 posts

I know some of us were waiting to see if there will be an offer to join after the recent redemptions.

Join now through 31 December 2022 and stay two nights with InterContinental® Hotels & Resorts, Kimpton® Hotels & Restaurants, or Regent® Hotels & Resorts by 31 January 2023 and receive 20,000 bonus points.*

https://www.ihg.com/intercontinental/content/gb/en/hotel-offers/ambassador-benefits-join

JosephH 27 posts

Thanks for this. It seems it’s now clear that the free night cert counts as a night for the 20,000 points, so it looks like this is a no brainer for my upcoming stay:

The “Ambassador Complimentary Weekend Night” rate is a Qualifying Rate, and the complimentary night may be counted towards the two nights needed to qualify for the additional 20,000 bonus points.

Froggee 896 posts

Weirdly it doesn’t actually define qualifying rate anywhere I can see in the terms and conditions. I’m guessing a redemption would not count even if I spent $30 on incidentals?

NorthernLass 7,569 posts

Player 2 tried to join, payment is showing in Curve but got a message on the IHG screen saying there was an issue and it couldn’t be processed? Will check later in case the IT sorts itself out in the meantime.

yorkieflyer 259 posts

Weirdly it doesn’t actually define qualifying rate anywhere I can see in the terms and conditions. I’m guessing a redemption would not count even if I spent $30 on incidentals?

“Qualifying Rates: Qualifying Rates include Reward Night/​Free Night* “
    “*When staying on a Reward Night/​Free Night, Members will not earn Points or partner miles/​credits on the room rate or room rate equivalent; however, Points are awarded for all other eligible charges.”
    Per t and c’s

Grant 108 posts

I know this was discussed previously but I can’t find the thread now, but if I were to join Ambassador would this extend my current Diamond status (currently due to expire end of Dec’22), and if so, when to?

can 506 posts

bring back free breakfast, then we’ll talk!

NorthernLass 7,569 posts

@Grant, it worked for me but reports vary. I think you’d have to just try it, make sure you’re logged in when you apply for the best chance, I think.

Carlos 758 posts

Just to confirm this applies to all InterContinental® Hotels & Resorts?

Supergers49 225 posts

but if I were to join Ambassador would this extend my current Diamond status (currently due to expire end of Dec’22), and if so, when to?

Worked for me, extended my Diamond to 31/12/2023.

Jamjaw 37 posts

If I have a reward stay booked in January and an abundance of points, is there any reason not to do this for a total cost of 20k points just to extend my Diamond Elite to 23 as have a stay booked at Kimpton in New York in May…. Obviously with the risk it might not work!

John 1,000 posts

bring back free breakfast, then we’ll talk!

When did Amb get free breakfast?

Guernsey Globetrotter 587 posts

I know this was discussed previously but I can’t find the thread now, but if I were to join Ambassador would this extend my current Diamond status (currently due to expire end of Dec’22), and if so, when to?

Data point negative 🙁
    Just took up this offer today on player 2’s IHG account (using points rather than paying cash). Ambassador status now noted in app but no change to expiry date of existing diamond elite status which is still showing as due to expire 31/12/22.

NorthernLass 7,569 posts

Have you checked the account on desktop, and was P2 logged in to their account when they joined? P2 here got error message when trying to pay the $200 but tried with points just now and Diamond is now sparkling until 31/12/23 💎. Ambassador free night is valid until 1/11/23 as well which is handy.

Have you checked the account on desktop, and was P2 logged in to their account when they joined? P2 here got error message when trying to pay the $200 but tried with points just now and Diamond is now sparkling until 31/12/23 💎. Ambassador free night is valid until 1/11/23 as well which is handy.

Anna – actually, I was clearly being impatient! I had logged out and back in via the app (didn’t apply for Ambassador via browser as for some reason the offer only showed on app) but have now left it 10 minutes and sure enough the diamond IS extended to 31/12/2023! 🙂
    Happy days as we earned the status with card spend and that is no longer a viable route so great to know we will be able to continue to enjoy a status we would otherwise never have access to via stays alone!
    Now I just need to figure out what to do with mine as I was an Ambassador member already this year and not sure if I can renew too before the end of 2022 to extend my diamond status?

Data point now POSITIVE! Anna you were right (of course) 🙂
    Having left it a while and then logged back in P2 diamond is indeed extended to 31/12/23!!
    Given that we earned this status via card spend, which is no longer an option, and earning such lofty status via stays is a non-starter for us I am very pleased with this outcome.
    Now I just need to work out what to do with my membership as I am already ambassador until the end of the year – can I renew early I wonder and also refresh my 💎 level?

NorthernLass 7,569 posts

Isn’t this offer on until the end of the year? Just rejoin shortly before?

Mark Peterborough 29 posts

I’ve been pondering buying ambassador for 40k points to keep my Diamond status for another year and this has made it more tempting .

The question is hive mind , what would be the cheapest way to get myself two nights booked in to get the 20k points back ?

A ‘cheap’ Kimpton night with the free voucher night added on perhaps ?

Harrier25 852 posts

I’ve been pondering buying ambassador for 40k points to keep my Diamond status for another year

I read here a while back that this route to maintain Diamond tier no longer works, so would be good to know if it works for you…..edit…Scrub that, I’ve just read the messages above yours and apparently it does still work. Happy Days!!😀

TJ 91 posts

Do you still earn the 15k bonus points if you choose to pay for joining rather than using points? I just see the pay $200 or 40k points but no reference to the 15k bonus points if you pay in USD as per previous sign-ups.

TJ 91 posts

Do you still earn the 15k bonus points if you choose to pay for joining rather than using points? I just see the pay $200 or 40k points but no reference to the 15k bonus points if you pay in USD as per previous sign-ups.

Ignore my question…just found the answer buried in the T&Cs…the 15k bonus only applies to renewals and not new enrolements.

NorthernLass 7,569 posts

I think the 15k bonus went a bit back.

@Mark
    Peterborough – “cheap” IHG nights are few and far between atm, however I managed to book 2 nights using the BOGOF at the Kimpton Blythswood Square Thursday to Saturday, total cost £199 because Thursday is *relatively* cheap. Also the Kimpton Clocktower can be had for £145 pn Sundays and some mid-week nights. I don’t think you’d find anything cheaper outside the UK just now.

I’m assuming Emyr deals would count as qualifying – you get tremendous added value with these, often with a double upgrade.

BJ 657 posts

Saw this elsewhere yesterday. I was one of those waiting and antipating this. However, not yet a strong enough offer to tempt me, I think they’ll improve on it for a short period around Black Friday or Cyber Monday. I’ll chance that as I have the luxury of doing so with Hilton Diamond so can live without the IHG variant if need be.

Harrier25 852 posts

Even if they don’t come up with a better offer, we have until the 31st December to take up this offer!

Saw this elsewhere yesterday. I was one of those waiting and antipating this. However, not yet a strong enough offer to tempt me, I think they’ll improve on it for a short period around Black Friday or Cyber Monday. I’ll chance that as I have the luxury of doing so with Hilton Diamond so can live without the IHG variant if need be.

@BJ
    fair nuff – everyone has to weigh up their own value but a net 20k points (if paying to renew and doing 2 nights anyway so earning the bonus 20k back automatically) works at out a cost of only £80 (using HfP 0.4p per IHG point). For that you get the benefits of ambassador status for a year, a free night voucher and, if IHG diamond status, you also extend that status for another year. If like me and a lot on here, you earned diamond from credit card churn that route is no longer open so renewing the status this way is the only option and once you let it lapse it’s gone! No sure how much more value one could ask for from an offer tbh so I certainly went for it …

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

The UK's biggest frequent flyer website uses cookies, which you can block via your browser settings. Continuing implies your consent to this policy. Our privacy policy is here.