Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Forums Other Destination advice Marrakesh

• masaccio 722 posts

From posts I know plenty of us like luxury holidays and I am planning next April’s (sound familiar to anyone tied to school holidays?)

Current plan is Morocco and I quite fancy the place that appeared on the Beeb’s Amazing Hotels, the Royal Mansour. It is seriously pricey though and so the question is does anyone have any counter-proposal for a properly lush riad in Marrakesh? A lot of the ones I have looked at are really pokey, or have had the heart and soul ripped out of them.

Pdah1980 11 posts

I stayed at Kasbah Tamadot last month and it was incredible, magical even. It is a 50 min drive from RAK.

Gary 293 posts

Riad Madani, full of character, beautiful lush garden in the centre with rooms surrounding it. Apparently Paloma Picasso & Naomi Campbell were patrons.

Aston100 1,383 posts

First of all, your visit will most probably overlap with Ramadan which may effect the experience a little bit if you venture out and about.
    Secondly, I just don’t get why anyone would go to countries that are rich with culture and outdoor experiences and yet decide to sit in a luxury resort or similar.
    Not saying you specifically Masaccio, but your post reminds me of people who go half way across the world to sit in an expensive all inclusive resort in a country with so much to see and do outside the resort.

Would suggest you stay in a Riad in the medina, for the experience. Even if it is for just half of your stay, before moving out to a full service hotel in Hivernage or Gueliz.
    If you consider authentic Riads to be ‘really pokey’ then perhaps the real Marrakech isn’t for you.

BP 48 posts

There are lots of really nice Riads and smaller hotels in the medina. How about Riad 72, La Sultana, or Hotel Villa des Orangers? I think they all have a traditional Marrakech feel while being luxurious.

masaccio 722 posts

@Aston100 this would be the last 2 days of 2 weeks in Morocco and I am looking for somewhere special. Staying somewhere grand doesn’t mean people do not want to see the ‘real Marrakesh’. I see this no different to (say) staying in the Taj in Mumbai.

It is indeed Ramadan when we would travel. That wasn’t a problem anywhere we went in Egypt the last 2 weeks in that people were up and about by noon and there were plenty of places for tourists to eat decent food. Do you think Morocco will be more shut down during the day than Egypt? Egypt has a significant Christian population, but Morocco obviously not.

BP 48 posts

I’m off to Marrakech next week. I’ll let you know how it is during Ramadan when I return.

masaccio 722 posts

I’m off to Marrakech next week. I’ll let you know how it is during Ramadan when I return.

Awesome thanks. Blogs run the range from “I fasted all day out of respect” to “People were a bit grumpy and stuff opened late”. Typical Internet.

BP 48 posts

Happy to report back that almost everywhere was open. Lots of non-muslims eating and drinking. Alcohol freely available in the nicer places like Cafe Arabe and Terrace De Espices.

At most there was a slight break in service around 7pm as iftar fell and staff nipped off to break their fast. But it was barely noticeable in most places.

It’s been 5 years since I’ve been and I found souk price negotiations to start much higher than previously. Aim for 20-25% of initial price quoted.

elguiri 215 posts

Any recommendations on where to stay in Marrakech (2 adults and one 6yo)?

We ideally want to be able to go for walks without having to always get a ride, have good local food nearby for dinner, and not be too loud at night. Obviously the availability of a room accommodating 3 people is also important.

Not looking for 5* luxury, rather something under £250/night b&b. There seem to be loads of Riad’s with a handful of reviews, so not overly convinced so thought I’d go to a more trusted resource like you fellow forumites.

TIA

meta 1,439 posts

Staying in riad in Medina is not like staying in a hotel. This is why experiences will vary and most reviews are mixed, plus there is a lot of rivarly. Riad experience will depend on the staff. So I’d choose a smaller one with no more than 8 rooms, preferrably much less. At good riads, the manager/staff should be viewed as your local fixers. You can ask them for your favourite items for breakfast/dinner, make dinner reservations if you are not dining in the riad (which I highly recommend a few times as food at the good ones is on par with top restaurants).

Some riads have big enough rooms for three pax, but it might be the case of getting two rooms which are next to each other. Riads inside are mostly open living spaces.

ZoeB 88 posts

We are currently at Riad Zayane, which is in the Medina but probably a bit further to walk than you want. Great bargain though, 3 nights and economy flights from BA holidays for £230 each. We have never visited and came on a whim, will definitely return, great to see somewhere new with warm sun in January.

elguiri 215 posts

We are currently at Riad Zayane, which is in the Medina but probably a bit further to walk than you want. Great bargain though, 3 nights and economy flights from BA holidays for £230 each. We have never visited and came on a whim, will definitely return, great to see somewhere new with warm sun in January.

Don’t get me wrong, we are fine walking, even the 6yo will walk for 45mins as long as there is the promise of a decent meal at the end of it.

Taking a look at that Riad now, what is the food like, and have you gone on any excursions organised/recommended by them?

elguiri 215 posts

Staying in riad in Medina is not like staying in a hotel. This is why experiences will vary and most reviews are mixed, plus there is a lot of rivarly. Riad experience will depend on the staff. So I’d choose a smaller one with no more than 8 rooms, preferrably much less. At good riads, the manager/staff should be viewed as your local fixers. You can ask them for your favourite items for breakfast/dinner, make dinner reservations if you are not dining in the riad (which I highly recommend a few times as food at the good ones is on par with top restaurants).

Some riads have big enough rooms for three pax, but it might be the case of getting two rooms which are next to each other. Riads inside are mostly open living spaces.

Thanks for the tips. I suppose the only apprehension about 2 rooms is safety of our daughter in a separate room, but maybe one of us will just have to share with her whilst the other one joys a room to themself.

How is hygiene/safety etc in general in the riads? Do we need to worry, or do they have enough checks in place to make one feel like daughter won’t be electrocuted by a hanging wire from the wall…?

Aston100 1,383 posts

Thanks for the tips. I suppose the only apprehension about 2 rooms is safety of our daughter in a separate room, but maybe one of us will just have to share with her whilst the other one joys a room to themself.

How is hygiene/safety etc in general in the riads? Do we need to worry, or do they have enough checks in place to make one feel like daughter won’t be electrocuted by a hanging wire from the wall…?

The tap water is safe for drinking, if that helps give an idea of how things actually are.

ZoeB 88 posts

So we booked this very last minute, hence I hadn’t done much research . We took their arrivals package of a taxi from the airport that included the taxi driver walking you all the way to the riad. Its not far from the taxi drop off but through a busy market street. It also included a 3 course dinner on the first night for 2 people. Package was 59 euros all in.Food was good, no choice but it didn’t really matter. Riad serves alcohol half bottle of wine is 9 euros.
    Breakfast is slightly different each day, all served to your table, fresh orange, pain au chocolat, bread jam honey. Tea or coffee. Then 3 other things, could be boiled egg & toast, fruit salad, orange custard, orange homemade jelly, banana mousse etc. Plenty to start your day.
    We booked a walking tour from the hotel for the morning of our first full day. Official guide for just us 3 hours 45 euros. This was great, our guide was amusing and informative.
    This riad isn’t swanky but the staff are friendly, its all clean, nice roof terrace too. We are in the smallest cheapest room and its fine.
    We did buy a sim at the airport as we knew we would get lost in the Medina. If you have visited Hanoi for instance the busy / dusty / aromatic / scooters everywhere in narrow streets won’t be a culture shock.

RV 45 posts

Any recommendations on where to stay in Marrakech (2 adults and one 6yo)?

We ideally want to be able to go for walks without having to always get a ride, have good local food nearby for dinner, and not be too loud at night. Obviously the availability of a room accommodating 3 people is also important.

Not looking for 5* luxury, rather something under £250/night b&b. There seem to be loads of Riad’s with a handful of reviews, so not overly convinced so thought I’d go to a more trusted resource like you fellow forumites.

TIA

Back in November I stayed at Ksar Anika (https://www.booking.com/Share-IpMQFd). Amazing Riad, lovely rooms and the service was great. Breakfast was super rich as well. One of those occasions where I felt like I was getting much more than what I was paying for.

It’s just outside the Medina next to Bahia Palace in the south side, so extremely quiet in the night. We ended up taking a taxi in two occasions when we were on the north side of the Medina and didn’t fancy walking back in the night.

elguiri 215 posts

The tap water is safe for drinking, if that helps give an idea of how things actually are.

Actually that is really useful in giving general idea, thanks!

elguiri 215 posts

Thanks @ZoeB and @RV for the recommendations. Did you do any balloon rides or trips into dessert from there too?

Aston100 1,383 posts

I did a half day at Lalla Takerkoust, organised through Get Your Guide.
    This included jet skis on the lake, and a 2 hour quad bike trek through the Agafay badlands.
    The journey (private SUV transfer) was about 45 minutes each way.
    Was a decent experience.

Aston100 1,383 posts

In regards to Riads, I found that within the medina they were all much of a muchness.
    I would recommend trying to find one close to Rue Riad Zitoun or the other roads that spill out on the Jema El’fina square (probably spelt incorrectly). This is in order to avoid getting lost – the medina is a proper warren. Vehicles can’t drive inside, so you’ll be walking a lot.

elguiri 215 posts

I did a half day at Lalla Takerkoust, organised through Get Your Guide.
    This included jet skis on the lake, and a 2 hour quad bike trek through the Agafay badlands.
    The journey (private SUV transfer) was about 45 minutes each way.
    Was a decent experience.

Although I’m sure my 6yo would love the idea of jetskis, I am more sedate, so might give that a miss 🙂
    Thanks for the idea though.

RV 45 posts

Thanks @ZoeB and @RV for the recommendations. Did you do any balloon rides or trips into dessert from there too?

I did the Merzouga desert! A full three day trip. It was great and we loved camping in the desert, but it’s a lot of time in the car though (especially on the way back to Marrakesh). If doing it again I’d probably turn it into a 4 day trip and stop somewhere on the way back.

If you don’t fancy spending that much time away, I do recommend the Atlas Mountains, and maybe even going as far as Ait Ben Haddou (you’d recognise it from Gladiator, Game of Thrones etc).

elguiri 215 posts

I did the Merzouga desert! A full three day trip. It was great and we loved camping in the desert, but it’s a lot of time in the car though (especially on the way back to Marrakesh). If doing it again I’d probably turn it into a 4 day trip and stop somewhere on the way back.

If you don’t fancy spending that much time away, I do recommend the Atlas Mountains, and maybe even going as far as Ait Ben Haddou (you’d recognise it from Gladiator, Game of Thrones etc).

As we are only looking at 5/6 nights total I was thinking more of a day trip, if possible, (and OH has made it known she will not be sleeping in the desert…)

Aston100 1,383 posts

Seti Fatma / Ourika Valley day trip.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

The UK's biggest frequent flyer website uses cookies, which you can block via your browser settings. Continuing implies your consent to this policy. Our privacy policy is here.