Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Forums Payment cards Other payment cards Massive Clubcard devaluation

• WillPS 194 posts

I find it a bit odd that Tesco is using “2x” here which implies that Virgin points are definitively worth 1p. I don’t think they ever said it like that before, including for avios?

I think they used it but referring to points rather than vouchers – 1 Clubcard point converts to 2.5x Virgin points (and in the past 2.4x Avios).

WillPS 194 posts

Today’s the day then. 2500 pt bonus for the final year of my Premium Card landed yesterday. Called today to cancel, no fuss at all.

As a non-flying couple we’ve done very well off it but moving forward Nectar Amex (@1%) and Avios Barclaycard (@0.66% when converted to Nectar) will be a better deal for us, with the added bonus that we’re less compelled to use Tesco. Even at Tesco the effective cashback rate of 4% (on spend of exactly £2500 and expecting 200% valuation on Clubcard redemptions) can be beaten by egiftcards purchased from Sodexo/Perks at Work using Avios Barclaycard.

The only place we’ll lose out will be Tesco filling stations, which I’ll probably just not use as much going forwards (still got a Clubcard Pay+ card to activate 1pt per litre when we do tho). Costco and even Sainsburys have been far cheaper recently

Thanks for the memories Clubcard.

NorthernLass 7,571 posts

I stopped using Clubcard offers a few years ago when all the decent bonuses dried up, but apparently OH still gets petrol at Tesco and I just found out we have £20 in vouchers accumulated in that time. So I now have £60 in restaurant vouchers to spend next time we venture to a city as all the participating restaurants within about 20 miles seem to have disappeared since the pandemic!

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

The UK's biggest frequent flyer website uses cookies, which you can block via your browser settings. Continuing implies your consent to this policy. Our privacy policy is here.