Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Forums Other Destination advice Melbourne – Adelaide – Melbourne road trip November 2023

• GillyDee 91 posts

Currently in very wet South Wales, planning a road trip around Victoria and South Australia. Mostly birding, travelling up to Halls Gap, across to Gluepot Reserve, down to the Murray River and Adelaide and finally back to Melbourne along the Great Ocean Road – about 2 weeks in all.

Does anyone have any recommendations for hotels, wineries, must-sees, please?

Thank you.

Swiss Jim 48 posts

What statuses do you have? Currently in Melbourne (have relatives here) and had the misfortune to stay at Hilton Little Queen Street as a one off night in the city with one of my children a few days ago. I’d avoid for many reasons (and I’m Diamond). In fact, Melbourne has very little going for it in my mind – it lacks natural or architectural wonders, more of an event city. If you’ve not been, I’d extend your thinking to Sydney – far better, and only a short plane ride away. Or take the train (Indian Pacific – Adelaide to Sydney) if that’s your thing (and experience in itself). Don’t think about driving it…

JDB 4,347 posts

I agree Melbourne feels a bit disappointing; perhaps a better city to live in than visit, although hotels much cheaper than Sydney. Nearby though, the Mornington Peninsula is a beautiful area and Graceburn House & Tedesca Osteria a great place to stay and eat.

Michael C 666 posts

Another downtick for Melbourne, I’m afraid, where part of my family unfortunately live!
    Just never got the hang of it, outside the Aus. Open tennis, which is a great set-up.

And also agree with other posters that Sydney is world-class.

GillyDee 91 posts

Melbourne’s convenient for the primary reason for our holiday – birds and mammals in Tasmania. We’ve also got a couple of day trips out of Melbourne so the idea there was comfort rather than luxury and an opportunity to get our laundry done🙂

The road trip is also a done deal taking in half a dozen birding hotspots, hopefully interspersed with some quality wine tasting.

Sydney and the East coast would be the next big Aussie adventure…

qc 203 posts

Unlike some others here I like Melbourne – great coffee bars, markets and more of a continental feel than Sydney. Stay in an Airbnb out in St Kilda (make sure it has a washing machine so you do your laundry) and take the tram in to the city.

The Savage Squirrel 567 posts

I do like Melbourne too. Since Sydney got to be the Aussie poster boy, Melbourne is now largely a real working breathing city more than a tourist pastiche. We’ll be back in April and have family there too.
    It is indeed an event city – look what’s on when you’re there, there WILL be lots on. If you have an interest in sport then the MCG and Olympic Park may be of interest.
    You can stay anywhere near a metro line into Flinders St; lots of the suburbs are very pleasant.
    Take the historic tram on the city circle.
    Like London, walking along the south bank of the river is the more interesting side. The aquarium is pretty good.
    The redeveloped Docklands area West of the Marvel stadium is worth a stroll. ArtVo there was memorably silly; well done and surprisingly good fun.
    Both Mornington Peninsula round Arthur’s Seatt and Philip Island are well worth a visit, particularly if the natural world interests, and the areas have so many wineries and dining options, Mornington especially, that they blur in my mind and I can’t remember which to suggest 😀

If you’re travelling along the Murray river then stop for a day or two somewhere near Echuca, very pleassant area – you can do tourist attractions, eat well, or visit scenic wilderness or a mix of all as you like. Kyabram fauna park may be of interest.

GillyDee 91 posts

Thanks for the Melbourne tips.

Has anyone stayed in any winery accommodation in Clare or Barossa Valley?

qc 203 posts

In the Clare Valley we stayed at Neagles Retreat Villas – very nice although not a winery. In the Barossa we stayed in an Airbnb.

qc 203 posts
    GillyDee 91 posts

What statuses do you have? Currently in Melbourne (have relatives here) and had the misfortune to stay at Hilton Little Queen Street as a one off night in the city with one of my children a few days ago. I’d avoid for many reasons (and I’m Diamond). In fact, Melbourne has very little going for it in my mind – it lacks natural or architectural wonders, more of an event city. If you’ve not been, I’d extend your thinking to Sydney – far better, and only a short plane ride away. Or take the train (Indian Pacific – Adelaide to Sydney) if that’s your thing (and experience in itself). Don’t think about driving it…

IHG Plat is about all but I think we’ll go with the suggestion of an Airbnb near a metro stop in the ‘burbs.

We did look at flying into Perth and taking the Indian Pacific to Adelaide but, disappointingly, it was already fully booked for October/November by the end of 2021.

tiriavpo 312 posts

We stayed recently at Cape Otway lightstation – it is fairly remote but good for a night on the Great Ocean Road. It is scenic and quiet with plenty of wildlife – we saw several Koalas in the trees along the road to the cape itself. There are guide-led evening wildlife walks too – see https://www.parks.vic.gov.au/places-to-see/parks/great-otway-national-park

We also stopped at the Kangaroo Golf Course in Anglesea – a bit of a tourist thing but you do get up close to wild kangaroos. https://www.angleseagolfclub.com.au/cms/kangaroo-tours/

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

The UK's biggest frequent flyer website uses cookies, which you can block via your browser settings. Continuing implies your consent to this policy. Our privacy policy is here.