Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Forums Other Destination advice Missing baggage rights

• webmongaz 3 posts

Arrived in ORD 2nd Aug. My golf bag which included ALL my clothes for a two week holiday in the US did not make it on the flight. They said they would come in the next day and would Fedex them overnight. They finally arrived today so 6 days after arriving in the US. The purpose of my trip was to golf the first week where I had to rent clubs, buy some new golf shoes and a couple of golf shirts (I have receipts for all). Although my golf clubs arrived today, I am now 200 miles away from them as visiting family in Michigan so having to pay to have them shipped to me with UPS…

My question is can I claim for the above expenses? Is it a simple process?

TIA.

NorthernLass 7,464 posts

There will be people who have more knowledge of this than me but I would have thought you can claim for essentials like clothing and toiletries that you can’t actually do without, but you may have to see if your insurance covers anything else. The airline is presumably contracted to get your belongings to ORD and no further?

Lady London 2,020 posts

Yes you claim off the airline. All your golf stuff was essential to the purpose of your trip and so were your clothes. All was immediately needed on landing so claim as nuch as you needed to rent or buy each day till you get your luggage.

When you reported the non arrival of your luggage at the airport, the form they give you normally contains all the info. Sometimes it includes a weblink to a form to claim.

If you move on from where you landed, provided you kept the airline informed of which address on which date, even hundreds of miles away or in a different country, they can and do normally deliver it there.IME

Be aware that if a luggage claim does turn into a loss claim then these expenses are deducted from your loss payout.

NorthernLass 7,464 posts

Interesting, I will make a note of this. Does all that come under the Montreal Convention? I’m surprised airlines agree to take equipment etc that might cause them financial liability in this day and age without charging extra!

Lady London 2,020 posts

Interesting, I will make a note of this. Does all that come under the Montreal Convention? I’m surprised airlines agree to take equipment etc that might cause them financial liability in this day and age without charging extra!

It’s Montreal I think, I have forgotten what Warsaw is for

Well airlines should carry luggage for people surely? 99% of the time must be part of the purpose for travelling. BA used to carry golf clubs free (I think), Swiss carried skis free and may still do. There are tariffs for things like bikes and musical instruments and lots of limitations on what can be carried as luggage otherwise it”s cargo. So passengers do pay.

But passenger should have insurance to cover travel of anything really precious even though airlines are supposed to take care. Avoid at all costs having them slap a Fragile sticker on your luggage as that’s their way of saying they’re not liable and I’ve never had the impression Fragile luggage can be guaranteed to be handled with care.

NorthernLass 7,464 posts

I don’t disagree – just playing Devil’s Advocate! My OH always packs his scuba gear as hand luggage to avoid it not arriving or being damaged in transit so it’s not something we’ve had to worry about.

JDB 4,335 posts

Arrived in ORD 2nd Aug. My golf bag which included ALL my clothes for a two week holiday in the US did not make it on the flight. They said they would come in the next day and would Fedex them overnight. They finally arrived today so 6 days after arriving in the US. The purpose of my trip was to golf the first week where I had to rent clubs, buy some new golf shoes and a couple of golf shirts (I have receipts for all). Although my golf clubs arrived today, I am now 200 miles away from them as visiting family in Michigan so having to pay to have them shipped to me with UPS…

My question is can I claim for the above expenses? Is it a simple process?

TIA.

As advised by others above, you need to claim from the airline first. Not too sure how generous they will be re club hire etc, and the limits are quite low on some travel insurance policies line Amex Plat for luggage delay. However, your household policy may cover the club hire – mine does up to £1,000. Were you playing at Geneva or Whistling Straits?

LondonFly 84 posts

I read in the news that someone who had his luggage disappear and who took the airline to court lost his case.

Luca M 391 posts

I read in the news that someone who had his luggage disappear and who took the airline to court lost his case.

What news? Would be interested to know the details as anything over 9 hours delay would have plenty of case law to get a straight compensation

dougzz99 623 posts

What news? Would be interested to know the details as anything over 9 hours delay would have plenty of case law to get a straight compensation

I think the post was intended as humour. Baggage – lost his case.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

The UK's biggest frequent flyer website uses cookies, which you can block via your browser settings. Continuing implies your consent to this policy. Our privacy policy is here.