Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Forums Other Destination advice The mobile data / international roaming thread

• AndyGWP 274 posts

We’ve had a few mobile / roaming questions posts pop up in the daily thread (I’m playing catch-up with yesterdays locked “chat” thread). I thought it would be worthwhile starting a thread here so that at least the useful information doesn’t disappear over time.

Definitely recommend the high level summary from MSE when it comes to the best deal for roaming:
    https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/mobiles/cheap-roaming-calls/

A hint of my own that I have found with the “Three” network is that when roaming, don’t always stick to the ‘automatic’ network your phone connects you too. Results can be mixed, but certainly in the US, there are sometimes other carriers where data speeds are quicker.

On iPhone, it’s currently within the “Settings –> Mobile Data –> Network Selection” where you can turn off ‘Automatic’ and manually select different carriers till you find a more suitable one.

Carlos 758 posts

FreedomPop is very good, dont even need the sim in the phone, it works over VOIP and you get a mobile number. (free mins and data)
    Not sure if it works anymore, is still free or if theres an alternative

SteveJ 974 posts

Extra tip on 3, a PAYG SIM with data can often be purchased at discount on eBay. I.e. 8gb of data that lasts 30 days often available for £5 (otherwise £10).

If you have a dual SIM phone just get this SIM, use for 30 days and then discard.

Will try Andy’s trick above, as data speeds for Three in the US have often been shockingly bad, wasn’t aware you could piggyback off networks other than the one auto picked.

masaccio 715 posts

I am yet to travel with it but I have downloaded Ubigi and will just enable an eSIM for a week. If you have a dual SIM phone then you can just use one of the eSIM networks

SteveJ 974 posts

Someone mentioned airalo as an eSim ap also, seems to be available in all countries.

jayjay 74 posts

Any ideas for Dubai? EE charge 6-7£/day for Data. I was thinking of just getting a Du eSIM, has anyone used it before?

Mikeact 229 posts

Recommended to post here by SteveJ..thanks.

I run an Android 10+ phone that doesn’t support esim, and in my opinion this is definitely the way to go.
    However, rather than upgrade or change phone, there is a dedicated sim available for certain Android phones that enables up to 10 virtual sim download offerings….great for travelling overseas to download a local esim….and to carry up to 10 different numbers with you if necessary. The download tells you immediately if your phone is suitable. I’m my case, the phone has two sim slots available, albeit that one is taken up by the MicroSd card.
    My question is, does anybody have any experience with,
    ‘eSIM.me’ ?
    $30 to turn your phone into an esim device seems a great way to go.

• This reply was modified 54 years, 4 months ago by .
    Carlos 758 posts

Skype / Viber out is also a good way to make calls abroad

SteveJ 974 posts

All good when you’re in the hotel or have WiFi elsewhere, but I like to have data when out and about too.

SteveJ 974 posts

Any ideas for Dubai? EE charge 6-7£/day for Data. I was thinking of just getting a Du eSIM, has anyone used it before?

Have you looked at airalo?
    A few options, i.e. $15/1GB/7days Or $45/3GB/30days

AndyGWP 274 posts

I am yet to travel with it but I have downloaded Ubigi and will just enable an eSIM for a week. If you have a dual SIM phone then you can just use one of the eSIM networks

Nothing screams out for for ex-EU travel (ie. the US) but 3GB / 30 Days for EU27+UK +SWISS @ $12.00 (£8.97) doesn’t seem too bad… thanks

AndyGWP 274 posts

and 3GB / 30 days for the USA @ $11 seems decent

I’m currently using Three (and have the free Go Roam from a pre-October contract) but would be interested in any feedback anyone has on this as it will be useful when my contract ends 🙂

memesweeper 1,242 posts

Someone mentioned airalo as an eSim ap also, seems to be available in all countries.

My player two reported good service and pricing from the 3 Hong Kong eSim. A less drastic approach than switching to 3 in the UK just to benefit from better roaming rates.

yonasl 950 posts

I have used Airalo in Japan and it was great

Lady London 2,030 posts

All good when you’re in the hotel or have WiFi elsewhere, but I like to have data when out and about too.

This is why in so many countries you’ll find me in Starbucks even though I hate their coffee. McDonalds often has super wifi too.

jayjay 74 posts

Just did – Thanks! Have you used it?
    I was checking du and it seems like you have to get a physical SIM and then go into a store to get it replaced for an eSIM. Airalo seems like you get an eSIM instantly?

Carlos 758 posts

yes because not all phones have e-sim capability

davefl 1,212 posts

This is where the eSIM.me product comes in. Would love someone to feedback their experience.

Awentford 17 posts

I’m thinking of trying airalo e-sim to use for a week in Vegas. Anyone have any experience of them in that area?

Also, any discount codes or does anyone have a referal link?

Carlos 758 posts

I’m thinking of trying airalo e-sim to use for a week in Vegas. Anyone have any experience of them in that area?

Experience in terms of data speeds? The e-sim literally uses data to connect voice and sms.

Mikeact 229 posts

This is where the eSIM.me product comes in. Would love someone to feedback their experience.[/quote

I’ve just ordered one…..First off, I shall purchase the cheapest esim I can find in the UK and see what it’s like.

Carlos 758 posts

I was checking du and it seems like you have to get a physical SIM and then go into a store to get it replaced for an eSIM. Airalo seems like you get an eSIM instantly?

yes because not all phones have e-sim capability.

davefl 1,212 posts

This is where the eSIM.me product comes in. Would love someone to feedback their experience.[/quote

I’ve just ordered one…..First off, I shall purchase the cheapest esim I can find in the UK and see what it’s like.

Pours Mikeact a beer

Tariq 79 posts

I’ve not used it in the USA yet.

Airalo referral code TARIQ5468

jayjay 74 posts

yes because not all phones have e-sim capability.

Fair enough – has anyone used Du/Airalo in Dubai? I’m guessing they’re a flip of a coin but any recommendations would be appreciated.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

The UK's biggest frequent flyer website uses cookies, which you can block via your browser settings. Continuing implies your consent to this policy. Our privacy policy is here.