Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Forums Other Destination advice The mobile data / international roaming thread

• Mikeact 231 posts

I’m really struggling to find a US eSim that I can order from the UK….or have I really got to wait until I arrive. At this rate I might as well purchase a regular Sim.
    I thought that Mint might be the way but has to be US address etc etc. So frustrating.

SteveJ 979 posts

I’m really struggling to find a US eSim that I can order from the UK….or have I really got to wait until I arrive. At this rate I might as well purchase a regular Sim.
    I thought that Mint might be the way but has to be US address etc etc. So frustrating.

Airalo?

Mikeact 231 posts

Airlo is data only,not too bad pricing but I have to make local calls while on the road.
    I’m not sure why Tmobile..US..came back and said No to esim ?

SteveJ 979 posts

Airlo is data only,not too bad pricing but I have to make local calls while on the road.
    I’m not sure why Tmobile..US..came back and said No to esim ?

What I do is ensure I have data and then use a voip service for calls.

Awentford 18 posts

Used airalo here in Vegas today and all seems good. I used Tariqs referal code and got $3 off.

My code is: ALEX4866

Based on my days usage so far, I’d use it again.

slidey 287 posts

I used to get a 1 month three sim for usage in the US, is the best option now an e-sim or is there any actual sim options that are useful?

Also, does anyone know of the best option for data in french polynesia?

SteveJ 979 posts

I used to get a 1 month three sim for usage in the US, is the best option now an e-sim or is there any actual sim options that are useful?

Also, does anyone know of the best option for data in french polynesia?

The three data SIM is still an option for US, but if you have an eSim capable device that’s probably less hassle.

strickers 651 posts

Used your referral to sign up Alex, thanks.

davefl 1,222 posts

Quick datapoint for the US. Inmotion stores in the airports no longer sell Ultra Mobile, only Lycamobile.

Choices are 7Gb an unlimited worldwide phone/txt for $35. 15GB for $50, but I had to go to 3 of their stores at ATL before I could find anyone with the 7GB in stock.

Activation process was easy but it took nearly 2 hours before I got the txt through confirming the allocated phone number and got service, so was panicking. Lyca’s customer service line is impossible to reach because the automated attendant requires the phone number that you havent yet received. Good news is that even though 6he packet says 4G, I’m gettint very good 5G service in town (it’s backended on t-mobile)

For anyone traveling to Austin, there’s a sim vending machine in baggage claim but I didnt check it out.

Swifty 45 posts

HI, my daughter is going to turkey with an iphone pro max 13, Im android, so is this dual sim and vodafone want to charge her 6£ per day!! any way around this please?

strickers 651 posts

Airalo do an esim for Turkey, much cheaper than Vodafone, iPhone 13 will work, not sure what Android model you mention so can’t comment. Referral code CRAIG7865 will give a $3 discount.

JenT 152 posts

For the USA, I can’t recommend https://www.usapayasyougosimcard.co.uk/sim-cards-and-plans/ highly enough. Unlimited data, hot-spotting allowed, delivered to UK address and always activated the moment I arrive in the USA.

masaccio 722 posts

HI, my daughter is going to turkey with an iphone pro max 13, Im android, so is this dual sim and vodafone want to charge her 6£ per day!! any way around this please?

For Tanzania last week I ended up using Ubigi on my iPhone 12. 14 quid for 2GB for 30 days. Worked really well in built-up areas though did not have tethering enabled so the missus could not join a hotspot hosted by my phone. eSIM from one of a number of vendors is the way to go if you have a dual-SIM phone.

Here is a list of eSIM providers for iPhone.

SteveJ 979 posts

I’ve not used it in the USA yet.

Airalo referral code TARIQ5468

Just used Airalo for a US trip, works brilliantly, such a simple concept, will definitely use this eSim approach I’m future.

PS – used your code @Tariq for $3 off, cheers!

QwertyKnowsBest 301 posts

Heads up for anyone using dual SIMs when roaming on the latest version of Android. Maybe even worth checking on other versions and Apple devices. Roaming last week using my second SIM (Spanish Vodafone SIM, which allows data roaming in Turkey at no extra cost) with second SIM selected in settings for data.

I was surprised to receive a text warning after a few days from (Three first and home SIM) that I had hit my credit limit. I spent a long time before figuring out why.

The reason is that deep in Android settings is an option to use other SIM if selected SIM is not available. I guess at certain times, the Three Turkish default network was available when Vodafone Turkey was not. Bracing myself for a big bill!

Check and check again.

Mikeact 231 posts

If anybody is interested, I have a brand new, unopened Android compatible sim from :
    eSim.me
    Cost me €64. Any offers, as I decided to go for a Samsung 22 with built-in eSim.

As an aside, I’ve saved this thread as a Favourite, but where are Favourites stored?

AndyGWP 275 posts

If anybody is interested, I have a brand new, unopened Android compatible sim from :
    eSim.me
    Cost me €64. Any offers, as I decided to go for a Samsung 22 with built-in eSim.

As an aside, I’ve saved this thread as a Favourite, but where are Favourites stored?

I’m guessing yours will be here: (its a link you can find in the account section where you view your profile etc)
    https://www.headforpoints.com/forums/users/mikeact/favorites/

• This reply was modified 54 years, 4 months ago by .
    jayjay 74 posts

I just used Airalo in Turkey last week – great experience! Found it very funny that 1 day’s roaming charge with EE was more than 7 days with Airalo..Needless to say I’m sticking with them, so easy to setup too – managed to do it on the flight before taking off.

Referral code if anyone’s interested: JAYESH2305

Toby146 2 posts

Going to take the plunge with eSim. Seems especially good value for Bahrain, where a regular prepaid sim would be 3x the cost of the Airalo offering.

@jayjay
    thanks for the referral, which knocked $3 off. If anyone would like my signup code (also $3) it’s TOBY9970.

Reney 768 posts

Hi I’m decided between Airalo and the usapayasyoigo options recommended here. I’m going on a USA national park trip around Arizonia, Utah and yellowstone so lots of middle of no where places.

I know AT&T connection is good in those areas but my flights don’t work too well with store opening hours so would prefer to get this sorted ahead of going. Plus these options are cheaper. Any data points on connection experience in those places or what network those sims actually use would be great.

Also planning to take Garim GPS with me if I can work out how to download US map and if it will work there.

Thanks all.

Reney 768 posts

Hi I’m decided between Airalo and the usapayasyoigo options recommended here. I’m going on a USA national park trip around Arizonia, Utah and yellowstone so lots of middle of no where places.

I know AT&T connection is good in those areas but my flights don’t work too well with store opening hours so would prefer to get this sorted ahead of going. Plus these options are cheaper. Any data points on connection experience in those places or what network those sims actually use would be great.

Also planning to take Garim GPS with me if I can work out how to download US map and if it will work there.

Thanks all.

I found the answer to network provider! Airalo uses both AT&T and someone else so that’s great. Can anyone tell me if I need a local US number, the company who provides a actual sim says we need it for passenger locator forms?

I may need to make local calls, is skype a good option with Airola?

JimBurgessHill 17 posts

I just returned from Miami, while there I used a T-Mobile 4G SIM from

USA SIM Card T-Mobile Prepaid SIM Card Unlimited 4G Internet Data, Calls, Texts, T-Mobile Network Coverage in United States Nationwide (9 Days) https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B084H8BQX1/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_M9P7T24E4NKSCQZQW5SM?psc=1

I was seriously impressed with the speed, pretty much all the time my phone was showing as being on “5G UC”. Did various speed tests when out & about and was astonished to see typical speeds of 200-300mb download! US phone number also provided. Will definitely use again.

ianwardz 44 posts

Hi, I am off to USA in a few weeks. I was looking at the T-Mobile eSim on an iPhone. I have downloaded the app, but I can’t register until in the USA as it checks location.
    Has anyone else used this option?

https://www.t-mobile.com/support/plans-features/t-mobile-esim-app

davefl 1,222 posts

Hi, I am off to USA in a few weeks. I was looking at the T-Mobile eSim on an iPhone. I have downloaded the app, but I can’t register until in the USA as it checks location.
    Has anyone else used this option?

https://www.t-mobile.com/support/plans-features/t-mobile-esim-app

Try installing Fake GPS on your phone. It tricks most location based applications. Just remember to switch it off when you’re registered.

yonasl 956 posts

Thanks all.

I found the answer to network provider! Airalo uses both AT&T and someone else so that’s great. Can anyone tell me if I need a local US number, the company who provides a actual sim says we need it for passenger locator forms?

I may need to make local calls, is skype a good option with Airola?

Airola is data only. For most form you can leave the phone number of your hotel or office or whatever. Nobody checks that really.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

The UK's biggest frequent flyer website uses cookies, which you can block via your browser settings. Continuing implies your consent to this policy. Our privacy policy is here.