Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Forums Payment cards Other payment cards Monese / WeGift gift card expired

• tom1 63 posts

So I am not sure where to put this.
    I did a search for both Monese and WeGift – but couldn’t find it, even though I did find a post from to saying there was a finance thread somewhere.

I bought a £50 for £40 gift card in September. When I came to redeem Using the link in the email, the wegift site says it has expired.

Wegift say it was never activated (ie chosen which shop to exchange the money for) and so I should speak to Monese. Monese email support is dreadful and just keeps saying it has expired but won’t tell me when, or provide any links to t&c.

Anyone in similar position or have any bright ideas please?

Genghis 12 posts

Don’t you have 90 days to decide which retailer to send it to? Ie, it’s now expired?

tom1 63 posts

Possibly – but I can’t find where it says that!

Toaster 104 posts

I think when you apply the promo code in the monese app that it shows you have 90 days to redeem. It certainly doesn’t show any expiry in the email you get from Monese “Your gift card purchase was successful!” but when you click the link (before 90 days are up) it shows you have 90 days to redeem. I’ve always redeemed in time so now when I click the link in my emails it takes me to the retailer gift card I purchased and there is no information regarding the expiry of the original Monese gift card promo.

This is a link for the t&c of a promo they ran previously:

https://monese.com/gb/en/gift-card-flash20

When does my gift card expire?
    Your link to activate your gift card will expire after 90 days from purchase. Once your gift card has been activated, the expiry date will vary depending on the retailer.

AirMax 29 posts

I guess they were calculating that some of them would not be fully redeemed, otherwise 20% was just too generous.

tom1 63 posts

Ok – thanks – looks like I was 10 days too late when I tried in December.
    You’re right about Monese expecting some to forget – i agree – I just didn’t expect to Be one of them!

Carlos 758 posts

Same boat forgot about a GC. Any luck on having it reinstated? Given now the expiry is 365 days

SteveJ 979 posts

Same boat forgot about a GC. Any luck on having it reinstated? Given now the expiry is 365 days

I doubt it. They rely on a certain portion expiring, that’s factored into the total cost of the promotion.

duggie1982 261 posts

I purchased some on the end of September and they had increased the expiration date to 1 year at that point

duggie1982 261 posts

Have a couple not yet selected from September and it is letting me process this no problem

AirMax 29 posts

A lesson for all point collectors – earn then burn, you don’t know what’s going to happen 😟

Carlos 758 posts

I purchased some on the end of September and they had increased the expiration date to 1 year at that point

Correct the ones I had from July had 90 days, got a few but forgot to select the retailer for the last one. Now it is valid for 1 year

G 32 posts

Maybe worth rechecking expired gift cards.

I had a £100 one brought just before the first lockdown started and must have somehow missed exchanging it for a gift card – it was on P2s account which I don’t check as often. I was going through the gift cards a few months ago and saw I had let £100 expire. I was kicking myself. However, I was going through all my cards again today and randomly it was showing as available! It had something like 277 days left to redeem but I quickly cashed out for an Asda gift card. The selection was smaller than usual, maybe around 8-10 options but no Sainsbury’s.

Hopefully this was not a fluke and others can also claim some lost cash.

nectar collector 282 posts

Maybe worth rechecking expired gift cards.

I had a £100 one brought just before the first lockdown started and must have somehow missed exchanging it for a gift card – it was on P2s account which I don’t check as often. I was going through the gift cards a few months ago and saw I had let £100 expire. I was kicking myself. However, I was going through all my cards again today and randomly it was showing as available! It had something like 277 days left to redeem but I quickly cashed out for an Asda gift card. The selection was smaller than usual, maybe around 8-10 options but no Sainsbury’s.

Hopefully this was not a fluke and others can also claim some lost cash.

Thank you for this! I had the same unfortunate oversight for a card bought back in Feb this year…..and miraculously I have just been able to redeem it. Sainsburys was showing for me along with just the other food supermarkets, think these were the options at the time.

Aston100 1,388 posts

Flipping heck!
    £300 worth of expired vouchers just activated again with 180 days left for no obvious reason.

Thanks for the heads-up!

Good day so far: won £75 on NS&I this morning and I managed to get a kilo of Bettys/Taylors of Harrogate China Rose tea for half price.
    👍

andiron 66 posts

You guys really make me wonder what % gets lost.. I’d assume here on HfP where everyone tracks their points really well shouldn’t happen, but what about average Joe. There’s a reason why they continue with them for so long! 20% discount, 20% lost?

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

The UK's biggest frequent flyer website uses cookies, which you can block via your browser settings. Continuing implies your consent to this policy. Our privacy policy is here.