Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

• Londonsteve 193 posts

Has anyone managed to successfully do this and if so, how did they accomplish it? I’ve tried moving Avios across using the Nectar app and website but failed. I have Nectar to BAEC auto-convert set up, do I need to cancel this before I am allowed to transfer back?

The cost of fuel has gone beserk and I would like to use Avios to refuel at a Sainsbury’s petrol station as the cash price is punitive and I have Avios ‘in the bank’ doing nothing.

Sam 96 posts

Yes, did it a while back. Took over a week which seems daft

Triggered another batch today

Used https://www.britishairways.com/en-gb/executive-club/collecting-avios/shopping/nectar

memesweeper 1,256 posts

I used the Nectar website last week after getting bored of looking on the BA site. Came through fairly quickly too.

Londonsteve 193 posts

Thank you, I’ve successfully managed to move some over via the BA page, I didn’t think to check there to…
    Confirmation says it could take 12 days which is just barmy but it doesn’t matter, my car’s fuel tank can wait that long and I have other means of transport.

Lady London 2,054 posts

That is such a good idea @Londonsteve.

After all, peak petrol is a bit like peak price isn’t it? A good use of your avios.

The 10-day delay a bit annoying, so might as well transfer now if this could be your plan

Londonsteve 193 posts

It’s only a good idea LL if you value one Avios no higher than 0.8 pence. If someone has an easy method to get more value, for example by flying long haul in J, then it would be a bad use of Avios to buy fuel instead. On the basis that I need to spend more Avios to buy a litre of fuel than I did this time last month, there is no arbitrage opportunity, it just makes sense for me right now as it preserves cash and puts my points to use in a half decent redemption opportunity. When comparing SH flight prices vs. RFS redemption options I’ve usually applied a value of 1 pence but I’m increasingly minded to value Avios at 0.8p when looking at the Avios and cash offers.

Tracey 211 posts

Having earned far more Avios then I’ve burn burned in the last 2 years, I’m sitting on so many Avios that I won’t notice their disappearance. Other than my local Costco has now opened a fuel station, cheaper by around 8p a litre than Sainsbury.

Lady London 2,054 posts

It’s only a good idea LL if you value one Avios no higher than 0.8 pence. If someone has an easy method to get more value, for example by flying long haul in J, then it would be a bad use of Avios to buy fuel instead. On the basis that I need to spend more Avios to buy a litre of fuel than I did this time last month, there is no arbitrage opportunity, it just makes sense for me right now as it preserves cash and puts my points to use in a half decent redemption opportunity. When comparing SH flight prices vs. RFS redemption options I’ve usually applied a value of 1 pence but I’m increasingly minded to value Avios at 0.8p when looking at the Avios and cash offers.

Yes Londonsteve we are not BJ and JDB who have pointed out avios value may be much higher. And the 241 useabilities since the new-style voucher open up higher value usages of avios for some.

My valuation of an avios has stuck around 0.75p 0.8 at a push, since long before Nectar. This is because I am always better off paying for cash tickets on all the longhaul routes I use. So I am restricted to short haul with relatively low cash prices on my main short haul routes for at least the last few years. Other short haul are either covered by LCC fares which are low to lowish at the times I have flexibility to travel : many find value in avios as they can only travel in peak periods when cash prices are far higher. Even RFS breaks even, or worse, jfor me on most short haul.

The only reason for me to have a few avios around has been for absolutely last minute travel short haul. However even last minute LCC’s can still be same or better paying cash so that’s rare. And very occasionally I may need to travel Club in short haul. Mostly avios is a better use for that. There is also UUA of course. Haven’t ever done it but just kmowing it is there keeps me checking options with BA amongst the first airlines I check and I will stop there if I find an acceptable fare. If UUA disappeared or became more restricted I’d switch back to Star Alliance.

bobthebuilder 28 posts

Is it still 10 days for Avios to arrive as Nectar points? I did a transfer 10 days ago, but nothing in my Nectar account so far.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

The UK's biggest frequent flyer website uses cookies, which you can block via your browser settings. Continuing implies your consent to this policy. Our privacy policy is here.