Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Forums Payment cards Barclaycard Avios New Barclaycard Avios Plus application – great experience

• Scottpat78 243 posts

I applied for the Barclaycard Avios Plus via Rob’s link on Monday as a brand new Barclays customer. My experience has been great and what I would expect:

1. Immediate acceptance and healthy credit limit – more than my HSBC Premier WE card
    2. Card arrived today and activations & setup in the app and online was easy
    3. Added to Apple Pay on my iPhone via the Barclays app, then to my watch via the Watch app – both without issue
    4. Added to Curve within the Curve app without issue

I’ve made a small payment via Curve to test, and it has gone through and worked.

So far so good, now to decide if I ditch my HSBC Premier WE or not. Sharing in case it helps anyone else on the fence and worried about Apple Pay / Curve etc.

dst87 264 posts

It’s great to hear a positive experience. It sounds like they’ve done a good job of working out all of the new product kinks.

I’ve certainly got no issues with the card a few months in.

Super Secret Stuff 357 posts

Interesting. I applied when the offer launched, got referred for extra checks, probably because I’d just moved.

I got sent a LETTER with a return pre paid envelope to send in proof of address and cipy of ID. Madness

Still waiting for the card and need to pay for my holiday soon!

• This reply was modified 54 years, 4 months ago by .
    Keely 78 posts

Interesting. I applied when the offer launched, got referred for extra checks, probably because I’d just moved.

I got sent a LETTER with a return pre paid envelope to send in proof of address and cipy of ID. Madness

How soon did you get this letter? I had a similar great experience to OP when I applied a few months ago. Husband applied on Monday, not auto approved – and nothing since…

Maples 190 posts

My experience was also the same in that I got accepted and got the card within 3 days. My limit is low but can’t do anything about it – so I’ve just left it as it is. Might be due to the higher limits on Amex compared to my income right now.

The only issue I’m having is the app and how it doesn’t show my statements or the large number of errors I keep getting.

How soon did you get this letter? I had a similar great experience to OP when I applied a few months ago. Husband applied on Monday, not auto approved – and nothing since…

I think I got the letter a week later, ish. Sent it off next day. Just been told today I’ve been declined. What do I do now? Should I launch a complaint?

Not the end of the world as I can pay my holiday via amex but annoying

Tbh I’ve just moved, just had a 25% jump in income and 20k amex credit limit. But no idea why

JDB 4,378 posts

@Super Secret Stuff you can’t make a complaint unless you are a customer. Some people here have reported appealing a decision, but outcomes have not been so positive.

Amex offers high credit limits but they don’t count in your favour elsewhere and may even count against you. I’m not sure what the point is of having a £20k limit with Amex unless you actually need it for your monthly spend.

@Super Secret Stuff you can’t make a complaint unless you are a customer. Some people here have reported appealing a decision, but outcomes have not been so positive.

Amex offers high credit limits but they don’t count in your favour elsewhere and may even count against you. I’m not sure what the point is of having a £20k limit with Amex unless you actually need it for your monthly spend.

I do sometimes need the 20k limit with amex, i have a lot of work expenses and try to keep it under 20% credit utilisation. I meant no idea why I’ve been rejected. There letter appears to try and blame the credit reference agencies

I might appeal and send them a copy of my work contract to prove my income

SteveJ 978 posts

@SSS well documented on here, you’re being rejected as in Barclaycard’s opinion your existing available credit Vs your income, the ratio is too high. As JDB says, the high Amex limit is working against you here.

Comrade Chag 79 posts

I do sometimes need the 20k limit with amex, i have a lot of work expenses and try to keep it under 20% credit utilisation. I meant no idea why I’ve been rejected. There letter appears to try and blame the credit reference agencies

Call them and beg them. It works 100%.

PMG 21 posts

Interesting data point – applied last Wednesday and got the message “We need to review your case” and “you will hear back within 5 days”.
    Have still not heard anything, but logged into my Barclays App this morning (to check my current account) and the Barclaycard was already showing there including credit limit etc.

Now just waiting to see if/when I get the card and approval letter 🙂

Otherwise quite easy application process through the HfP link!

Call them and beg them. It works 100%.

I’ve rang them up and apparently vest thing to do is wait a month for the system to update with lower Amex credit limit and new address and appeal

jenkins1109 5 posts

Still can’t get my card on Apple Pay. No idea why it’s working for some and not others. Terrible service for me…

BuildBackBetter 705 posts

Player2 applied today – approved in 5 mins with a good credit limit.
    Things have improved since launch.

BuildBackBetter 705 posts

I’ve rang them up and apparently vest thing to do is wait a month for the system to update with lower Amex credit limit and new address and appeal

Amex changes take a long time to reflect in credit databases. Even within Amex database. I cancelled a card 2 months back. Applied another card today and was rejected with a reason that I cannot hold more than 4 cards.

Skellig 6 posts

I applied on Sunday afternoon (just before the 50,000 offer closed). Got accepted straight away with a full credit limit (ie no temporary low limit) and registered for online account servicing. Wasn’t asked for any extra documents. Card arrived today, Wednesday (so 3 days later). Easy to activate, easy if a bit fiddly to download and set up the app. So far everything has worked perfectly.

robinf 2 posts

Interesting. All fine with set up, but Barclays welcome pack only states “25000 bonus Avios when you spend £3000 in the first three months” despite the fact that I used the sponsored link on HFP which promised 50,000 Avios if applying before July 18.

Have now spent best part of an hour with Barclaycard to try to confirm the higher bonus, but no-one seems to know about it or to be able to confirm it exists. They finally suggested I should call BA, and gave me the general BA booking number to call! Obviously hopeless. All seems a bit of a shambles, and I am no wiser as to the application of the double bonus to my account.

Bill_B 85 posts

Interesting. All fine with set up, but Barclays welcome pack only states “25000 bonus Avios when you spend £3000 in the first three months” despite the fact that I used the sponsored link on HFP which promised 50,000 Avios if applying before July 18.

Have now spent best part of an hour with Barclaycard to try to confirm the higher bonus, but no-one seems to know about it or to be able to confirm it exists. They finally suggested I should call BA, and gave me the general BA booking number to call! Obviously hopeless. All seems a bit of a shambles, and I am no wiser as to the application of the double bonus to my account.

If you click the bell icon in the app, do you not have a message about the increased bonus?

Thrillington 40 posts

Wish I could say the same – inspired by this very thread I finally signed up. Application was fine, immediate acceptance, card arrived 5 days later.

When I activated the card, the app error’d out at the last step. First sign of trouble. Cards seems to have been working fine, however anytime an online payment requires a ‘Mastercard Identity Check’ it will also fail due to ‘not being able to confirm identity’ or similar. For example – can’t add the card to PayPal. Assuming there is something wrong with their data – my details all appear correct in the app and online. This doesn’t surprise me – Barclays proper were unable to confirm my address a couple of years ago in branch due to it being a new build. Despite the fact I have a mortgage with Barclays on the very address their systems claimed did not exist!

Speaking of the app, I get a ‘00002’ error 99% of the time, meaning nothing loads after log-in. Maybe if I’m lucky after 10-20 attempts of rebooting the app will I get in. Of course, there’s no Apple Pay option in the app (or any chat option!) so I tried to add Apple Pay manually via the wallet. But it tells me I need to call to authorise.

Cue trying to navigate through the telephone maze: ‘say what you need help with’ ‘Apple Pay’ ‘You wish to make a payment to Apple?’ After a 90 minute wait on hold last week I gave up, I can live without Apple Pay for a while, but being blocked from most online payments is a problem.

So I used their ‘Business Chat with iMessage’ today, but would have had more results talking to a brick wall. No comprehension of what I was explaining, poor grammar in all responses, 10-20 minute pauses to ‘check their resources’ (and forcing me to go through verification 3 times). ‘Please use the in app chat’, ‘I don’t have that option’ ‘Go to Help, then click chat’ ‘there is no chat! Screenshot attached.’

Clearly reached the limit of their capacity to help (evidently little) as they ended up advising I read their website before just asking me to call. I will be out of here if/when I manage to spend £3000.

awolf 6 posts

Wish I could say the same – inspired by this very thread I finally signed up. Application was fine, immediate acceptance, card arrived 5 days later.

When I activated the card, the app error’d out at the last step. First sign of trouble. Cards seems to have been working fine, however anytime an online payment requires a ‘Mastercard Identity Check’ it will also fail due to ‘not being able to confirm identity’ or similar. For example – can’t add the card to PayPal. Assuming there is something wrong with their data – my details all appear correct in the app and online. This doesn’t surprise me – Barclays proper were unable to confirm my address a couple of years ago in branch due to it being a new build. Despite the fact I have a mortgage with Barclays on the very address their systems claimed did not exist!

Speaking of the app, I get a ‘00002’ error 99% of the time, meaning nothing loads after log-in. Maybe if I’m lucky after 10-20 attempts of rebooting the app will I get in. Of course, there’s no Apple Pay option in the app (or any chat option!) so I tried to add Apple Pay manually via the wallet. But it tells me I need to call to authorise.

Cue trying to navigate through the telephone maze: ‘say what you need help with’ ‘Apple Pay’ ‘You wish to make a payment to Apple?’ After a 90 minute wait on hold last week I gave up, I can live without Apple Pay for a while, but being blocked from most online payments is a problem.

So I used their ‘Business Chat with iMessage’ today, but would have had more results talking to a brick wall. No comprehension of what I was explaining, poor grammar in all responses, 10-20 minute pauses to ‘check their resources’ (and forcing me to go through verification 3 times). ‘Please use the in app chat’, ‘I don’t have that option’ ‘Go to Help, then click chat’ ‘there is no chat! Screenshot attached.’

Clearly reached the limit of their capacity to help (evidently little) as they ended up advising I read their website before just asking me to call. I will be out of here if/when I manage to spend £3000.

My OH has the same issue. Any time she tries to log in the app gets an error that just says 00002 and nothing else. What seemed to work consistently for her is to open the app, dismiss the error then jump out of the app (to yor phone home screen) but don’t actually kill the app. Then go straight back in.

Even when se gets in though, the card image on the main screen of the app just shows a platinum card (despite the account name saying it’s an avios one) and on the transaction list screen there is no option to “view avios” like in my app. Not sure if she’s even earning avios or working towards the SUB at all. Guess we’ll see at the beginning of next month if any avios post to BAEC.

Does anyone have the same issue? E.g. not seeing avios in the app at all?

Thrillington 40 posts

My OH has the same issue. Any time she tries to log in the app gets an error that just says 00002 and nothing else. What seemed to work consistently for her is to open the app, dismiss the error then jump out of the app (to yor phone home screen) but don’t actually kill the app. Then go straight back in.

Even when se gets in though, the card image on the main screen of the app just shows a platinum card (despite the account name saying it’s an avios one) and on the transaction list screen there is no option to “view avios” like in my app. Not sure if she’s even earning avios or working towards the SUB at all. Guess we’ll see at the beginning of next month if any avios post to BAEC.

Does anyone have the same issue? E.g. not seeing avios in the app at all?

Thanks for the tip. Now that you mention it – yes, I see a Platinum card too and no sign of Avios tracking to be found.

LondonFly 83 posts

If you applied during the 50k promotion but upload documents after, do you still get the 50k avios?

jumpfrog 23 posts

Lucky you. I have tried for the last 5 days to add it to Apple pay. Made four phone calls and spent approx four hours in total trying to resolve it. Still doesn’t work. I even called Apple who assured me it is a Barclaycard thing. Hopeless I give up.

FazzyBear 24 posts

Lucky you. I have tried for the last 5 days to add it to Apple pay. Made four phone calls and spent approx four hours in total trying to resolve it. Still doesn’t work. I even called Apple who assured me it is a Barclaycard thing. Hopeless I give up.

Try via Apple Wallet. Click the Plus Symbol and go from there. That’s what worked for me when the App route didn’t work.

StanTheMan 217 posts

Anyone else had the horrendous experience where the transaction that triggers the 50,000 avios bonus gets refunded ? I will still be over the £3,000 spend overall. I know this can be an issue with Amex, has anyone had any experience with B/Card ? Thankyou

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

The UK's biggest frequent flyer website uses cookies, which you can block via your browser settings. Continuing implies your consent to this policy. Our privacy policy is here.