Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Forums Payment cards American Express New £300 Platinum dining credit July 2022

• aso40 54 posts

Looks like an interesting new dining credit offer for Platinum is going to be announced this week, worth £300 a year for this and the next two years. It is split into 2 – £150 in the UK, and £150 abroad. Amex CS have been revealing it via chat, and website is live.

Amex Dining Benefit

• This topic was modified 54 years, 4 months ago by .
    PeteM 714 posts

• This reply was modified 54 years, 4 months ago by .
    PeteM 714 posts

Interesting indeed, thanks!

Quite a large selection too.

Matt 322 posts

Looks interesting. Any ideas if this is personal only, or business as well?

meta 1,435 posts

That’s very good. Lovely to see Pocket Concierge, now I can’t wait to hit top sushi restaurants in Tokyo for the next 3 years.

Harrier25 852 posts

Brace yourselves for the annual subscription fee increase that will surely arrive this week too!

can 506 posts

Brace yourselves for the annual subscription fee increase that will surely arrive this week too!

I was just gonna say “too good to believe”…

Bill 169 posts

Is it possible to buy gift cards online at any of these restaurants AND qualify for the offer ?

Wiseoldman 69 posts

Is it possible to buy gift cards online at any of these restaurants AND qualify for the offer ?

Last time it was with restaurants that sell gift cards

meta 1,435 posts

I doubt that increase will happen at least not in the short term. This is part of an ongoing changes to Platinum benefits towards on the ground benefits to make sure people keep the card. People will just use the credit and close it otherwise. And they’d have to pay out £600 for all those who have the anniversary between January and June. Last increase was announced in the Spring.

However, I think there might be one big change and that is US-style once a lifetime sign-up bonus and further clamp down on self-referrals.

TJones 44 posts

Terms and conditions: You’ll not receive a statement credit for the following charges or transactions: booking fees, deposits paid towards your meal, any upfront charges made by the restaurant, non-sterling transaction fees, cancellation fees, no-show charges made by the restaurant, purchases of gift cards, e-codes or vouchers and any transactions that are cancelled or refunded before the statement credit is
    awarded

meta 1,435 posts

Yes, that’s standard. But then you have restaurant service like Pocket Concierge on the list which only does pre-payments.

Bill 169 posts

Having looked at the list, The Ivy looks best for me and the family.

If I buy a gift voucher online for The Ivy will the payment qualify for the Amex dining credit? Or do I need to buy the gift card in the restaurant?

Supergers49 225 posts

Has anybody got an indication of when the credit will be made available on the Offers pages?

meta 1,435 posts

I think they said Wednesday, but as with these type of offers it will take until the end of the week to show to everyone.

Andrew J 769 posts

Having looked at the list, The Ivy looks best for me and the family.

If I buy a gift voucher online for The Ivy will the payment qualify for the Amex dining credit? Or do I need to buy the gift card in the restaurant?

Why the need to buy a gift card? Just visit the restaurant and spend – you don’t need to spend the £150 all in one go, it’s a cumulative offer.

Thegasman 204 posts

And they’d have to pay out £600 for all those who have the anniversary between January and June. Last increase was announced in the Spring.

It’s calendar year not card anniversary year for benefit reset as per T&C’s.

Other interesting point is:
    “If we withdraw this benefit or your account is closed, and you’ve earned a statement credit which has not yet been added to your account, we’ll add this to your balance unless your account was suspended before closure or we have the right to reverse a statement credit as explained above.”

So you could open card in late December, have a decent NYE dinner paying £150 at 23:30 & settling balance after midnight then close later that day. £300 free dinner for <£30. I’m sure someone here will be up for that challenge…

meta 1,435 posts

Yes, but my point was in response to annual fee increase comment. It wouldn’t matter if it increased for those who have already paid their annual fees up to now as the new fees wouldn’t kick in until next year.

You rightly point out that you could potentially use it in Dec and Jan and close the card in Jan after credit posts. Amex would have to pay out dining credit worth £600 plus pro-rated fee.

It doesn’t make sense to increase the fee right now. They’ll wait until the 2023 to announce the increase.

Thegasman 204 posts

Yes, but my point was in response to annual fee increase comment. It wouldn’t matter if it increased for those who have already paid their annual fees up to now as the new fees wouldn’t kick in until next year.

You rightly point out that you could potentially use it in Dec and Jan and close the card in Jan after credit posts. Amex would have to pay out dining credit worth £600 plus pro-rated fee.

It doesn’t make sense to increase the fee right now. They’ll wait until the 2023 to announce the increase.

Yes, I see your point now. You wouldn’t even need to wait for credit to post as per the quoted T&C’s which is interesting. I’ve not seen this mentioned for other offers & if it is the case more widely then would help a lot for people waiting for very delayed credits (Morrisons) prior to cancelling.

Bill 169 posts

@AndrewJ

I live in the Isle of Man and I don’t plan to be in London or Manchester or any of the other locations until next summer

The Savage Squirrel 567 posts

List looks the same as the dining credit last year – although maybe a little beefed up in the largest regional cities like Leeds and Manchester – can’t quite remember? That means very good in London but outside of London many significant cities have only The Ivy and many more have nothing. Indeed an entire country (Wales) has to do with just one branch of that chain while the entire island of Ireland gets nothing, so more of a travel feature than something to use while at home for much of the population. Still can’t complain – it is a very decent offer with value – certainly a lot more valuable than Priority Pass which is basically worth £0 with current success rates.

Andrew J 769 posts

From a quick look at the restaurants in Paris (where I’ll be in a couple of weeks) they all seem at the top end – so the £150 would go on one person, not two. It’s a shame there’s no mid-range places in Paris like The Wolseley or even budget places like The Ivy (and there’s nothing outside Paris in France). But it’s a good offer and I’m pleased they are replacing the now worthless Priority Pass with this for the next 3 years.

meta 1,435 posts

List looks the same as the dining credit last year – although maybe a little beefed up in the largest regional cities like Leeds and Manchester – can’t quite remember? That means very good in London but outside of London many significant cities have only The Ivy and many more have nothing. Indeed an entire country (Wales) has to do with just one branch of that chain while the entire island of Ireland gets nothing, so more of a travel feature than something to use while at home for much of the population. Still can’t complain – it is a very decent offer with value – certainly a lot more valuable than Priority Pass which is basically worth £0 with current success rates.

It’s largely expended internationally as it includes Asia, Australia, US, Canada, etc. Last year, only a few European countries were included. That list too got expanded.

meta 1,435 posts

From a quick look at the restaurants in Paris (where I’ll be in a couple of weeks) they all seem at the top end – so the £150 would go on one person, not two. It’s a shame there’s no mid-range places in Paris like The Wolseley or even budget places like The Ivy (and there’s nothing outside Paris in France). But it’s a good offer and I’m pleased they are replacing the now worthless Priority Pass with this for the next 3 years.

You don’t have to do a three-course meal and also there are lunch offers at most Michelin star restaurants. Also remember it’s in £, so you get slightly more. My partner and I went to L’Oiseau Blanc (at the Peninsula and a must for avgeeks) for lunch and spent £161 on meals for the 3-course lunch for both of us.

Luca M 391 posts

Am I missing something or this is additional to the Priority Pass and Harvey Nichols Statement Credit? Where did you get the “replacing” Priority Pass Option?

I do agree that Lounge access has become difficult in many London’s airport unless you are willing to pay the booking fee when offered (and it is the same for PP, Lounge Key and Dragon Pass as I have experienced over the last 6 years), however I do make regular use of PP lounges on my flight back, and at least 4-5 times per year for 4 people, so if this was replacing PP would mean dropping the platinum card for me.

The £150 credit for restaurant abroad is actually a bit less if you consider the 2.99% fee and that unless is USD Amex normally has the worst rate of the three major Card network

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

The UK's biggest frequent flyer website uses cookies, which you can block via your browser settings. Continuing implies your consent to this policy. Our privacy policy is here.