Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Forums Payment cards American Express New £300 Platinum dining credit July 2022

• jj 517 posts

@can, I think we all find value in different ways. I expected to send back my card as soon as the welcome bonus landed, but I’m still clinging on.

For me the insurance is valuable as I like to ski in North America and have three adult kids who like to come with me. Short of trekking across Antarctica, I can’t think of a way of making travel insurance more expensive.

Few people mention it, but Avis Preferred is a valuable benefit. I’ve spent several £’000 on car hire this year, and the 15% discount has always made it cheaper for me to book through Avis. And I’ve had some very nice upgrades – the mid-sized Fiat that I’d booked turned into a beautiful Mercedes auto estate on a recent cycling trip to the Dolomites, for example.

Although the PP lounges were full on the one occasion I attempted to use them, I have been grateful for Centurion lounges in the USA when the alternative has been a dismal AA Admirals Club.

I don’t value hotel status as have never stayed in a Marriott or Hilton without subsequently regretting my decision, but the Platinum benefits extend to some excellent hotels that are outside the main chains, and, whilst some benefits can be achieved through Emyr or private negotiation, the guaranteed late checkout is priceless – I was still sat beside the pool at 5pm on a recent Venice trip, for example, knowing that I could comfortably shower before my water taxi left.

HN and restaurant credits are as good as cash for me, and other Platinum statement credits are often more generous than with lesser cards.

Other things are useless to me. AL is always at least 2x the price of local taxi firms where I live, for example, and I can’t take advantage of London-centric events.

But, overall, I find myself earning far more than the cost of the annual fee. Much of that is dependent on my own lifestyle choices, though, so I totally understand why many people look at the card with a sense of confusion.

can 506 posts

I think what we agree on is that it requires some careful strategising to maximise the benefits from the card. This website and forum help us achieve it.

All I am saying is that I am willing to nudge my lifestyle a bit to maximise my benefits.
    I never shop from HN, but now occasionally do to use the cash back. When I go clothes shopping I first check the Amex offers. For our anniversary dinner we don’t mind going to a nice restaurant from “the list” (except for the Ivy :)).

And I am fine with it.

berneslai 13 posts

I’ll ask my usual question whenever these dining credits come about, does anyone know know which London restaurants from the proposed list actively welcome children (11 & 13)?

I had a pretty dismal experience at two different Ivy’s with the last offer (service related, not kids related)

The Savage Squirrel 567 posts

I’ll ask my usual question whenever these dining credits come about, does anyone know know which London restaurants from the proposed list actively welcome children (11 & 13)?

I had a pretty dismal experience at two different Ivy’s with the last offer (service related, not kids related)

Well 11 and 13 are basically mini-adults so not an issue at all, but I’d imagine The Colony Grill wouldn’t be up their street. The one that jumped out at me for that question was Skylon. Seems to get mixed reviews but my experience was very positive, and its one on the list where £150 will go a loooong way (could cover a bill for 4 easily if you don’t want steaks or ££ wine) and very informal. Been to Balthazar too and they’d have no problem with kids at all and again were very relaxed. No direct experiencce but people I know have had good experiences in Gordon Ramsay Grill and Bluebird in Chelsea. But I’m a tourist when in London so others will have much better answers.

Honestly, anywhere with a kids menu on their website will be fine as far as welcoming kids far younger than yours.

berneslai 13 posts

Thanks TSS – I appreciate the advice.

Justin 41 posts

Working link to dining credit info here.

• This reply was modified 54 years, 4 months ago by .
    zapato1060 617 posts

Hi,

Is this cumulative as in I could in theory walk into 15x restaurants and pay £10 in bread? And I would get the £150? Or is it £150 in one sitting.

And secondly the T&C’s states only on meals? Does it mean it won’t include drinks, desserts etc?

Thanks

JoeL 13 posts
    DonLee 213 posts

I can now save £150 abroad platinum dining benefits. But there’s no £150 to use in UK. Not sure if it will be implemented later

Sip 10 posts

I can now save £150 abroad platinum dining benefits. But there’s no £150 to use in UK. Not sure if it will be implemented later

Exactly what I wanted to ask as well. Saved the abroad one but can’t seem to find the UK one. Anyone else seeing this or the opposite?

Andrew J 769 posts

Hi,

Is this cumulative as in I could in theory walk into 15x restaurants and pay £10 in bread? And I would get the £150? Or is it £150 in one sitting.

And secondly the T&C’s states only on meals? Does it mean it won’t include drinks, desserts etc?

Thanks

A meal includes drinks and all courses – otherwise it would say main course only. And yes is cumulative so if you want to go to the Ivy 30 times and have a £5 coffee you can.

meta 1,426 posts

Nothing showing for me yet. It will take a while before it’s loaded to all cards.

Everyone, just sit down and wait!If it doesn’t show within a week then call/chat to get it added.

Luca M 391 posts

Me too. Just saved the “Abroad Dining” offer but there is no UK dining yet

GaryE 42 posts

Spoke to agent on live chat and they added the UK offer to my card – took about 2 minutes

brian 82 posts

@berneslai, when I asked a similar question last winter with regards the £200 statement credit someone responded with Bread STreet Kitchen. The fact they have a kids menu for under 8s makes it quite clear that visiting with children isn’t frowned upon.

Unfortunately I didn’t get to try it out in the end though.

Scottpat78 243 posts

+1 – Didn’t have the Dining Local offer available so after I enrolled for Dining Abroad, done a live chat via the app and they have added the local offer. Can now see both on my saved offers.

Spoke to agent on live chat and they added the UK offer to my card – took about 2 minutes

Justin 41 posts

Like many others, the local £150 credit didn’t show up on my Platinum card either (whilst the abroad one did).

I have checked again this evening and it has now appeared on the list of Offers that can be added.

Bill 163 posts

Hawksmoor and Gordon Ramsay sell gift cards online. Would these transactions qualify ? Or does anyone know if they are sold in the restaurant on site ?

RonnieB 289 posts

Hawksmoor and Gordon Ramsay sell gift cards online. Would these transactions qualify ? Or does anyone know if they are sold in the restaurant on site ?

In a similar vein, if you can’t get abroad before end of year could you buy a gift card for a foreign restaurant online and allow a friend to use it abroad?

Luca M 391 posts

Just received the email about this, even though I enrolled yesterday for both deals

Bill 163 posts

Hawksmoor tell me they sell gift cards in restaurant. I was already aware that the ivy sell them on site

FazzyBear 25 posts

Just a thought. If you are unlikely to travel overseas and you know someone (you trust) going to a overseas destination with a restaurant enrolled in the offer – you could just hand them the card to utilise the offer.

StanTheMan 216 posts

Just a thought. If you are unlikely to travel overseas and you know someone (you trust) going to a overseas destination with a restaurant enrolled in the offer – you could just hand them the card to utilise the offer.

Totally, have already “borrowed” my bro-in-laws Plat for a trip to Spain next month. Agreed I’d split the £150 credit with him.

YC 221 posts

If not looking for fine dining in Paris, I think these are the more reasonable ones: La Grande Brasserie, Carboni’s & Restaurant de l’Hôtel des Grands Boulevards. (Caveat – I have not tried them!)

Supergers49 225 posts

Abroad Dining Credit Experience –

My wife and I used the Abroad Dining Credit at Meissl & Schadn in Salzburg on 26-Jul. Immediately received email confirming use of the credit upon payment. Credit for the full value of the transaction, including tip, appeared on my statement today but dated 29-Jul.

Meissl & Schadn was very pleasant, if a little touristy. My wife enjoyed her Tartare and Paprika Chicken. My Bouillon and Schnitzel courses were delicious.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

The UK's biggest frequent flyer website uses cookies, which you can block via your browser settings. Continuing implies your consent to this policy. Our privacy policy is here.