Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Forums Payment cards American Express New £300 Platinum dining credit July 2022

• Will 15 posts

From the list of the London restaurants, what would you say would be the best high rise/rooftop one? I have heard mixed opinions around Aqua Shard. Thanks!

_aDifferentSimon_ 85 posts

From the list of the London restaurants, what would you say would be the best high rise/rooftop one? I have heard mixed opinions around Aqua Shard. Thanks!

Coq d’Argent is a solid D&D option. I like their “apple” pudding too.

kevinchoi 96 posts

I’d say all three of the Shard restaurants on the list are just average.

If you have young children then I’d suggest going for the Peter Pan afternoon tea at Aqua Shard. Hutong’s speciality is their Peking duck – but I wouldn’t say it’s the best in London.

aseftel 266 posts

I wouldn’t enthusiastically recommend any of the high-rise ones on the list, but I would suggest taking a look at Sushisamba (city), Coq D’Argent and Duck & Waffle.

Will 15 posts

Thanks all, very much appreciated!

dundj 80 posts

If not looking for fine dining in Paris, I think these are the more reasonable ones: La Grande Brasserie, Carboni’s & Restaurant de l’Hôtel des Grands Boulevards. (Caveat – I have not tried them!)

I went to Restaurant de l’Hôtel des Grands Boulevards for lunch last Tuesday. Very good prix fixe menu with highly attentive service.

KevinC 76 posts

We went to Harry’s Dolce on Giudecca in Venice. A lovely spot, nice food, good service. Kinda overpriced as you might expect since it’s part of the Cipriani family. You won’t have a problem spending your credit. It’s very convenient for anyone staying at the Hilton Molino Stucky – it is a few minutes stroll away.

I got an immediate email from Amex and a credit about a week later, minus a few pounds, which presumably is the currency charge.

Internaut 8 posts

Likewise, went to Bread Street Kitchen (City – but not quite inside The City proper), Saturday, had a fine meal and received an email from Amex after payment. Nice benefit. I will certainly use the UK part, this year; not sure if I will find myself in a suitable city outside of the UK for the remainder of the year.

abrack 12 posts

Has anybody used this credit at Tattu? I have just reserved a table for my partner and I, but I noticed they take payment details online – so now I am just wondering if you rack up your bill and charge you as it were an online order, or do they bring the card machine to your table once you’ve finished your meal?

I only ask as the offer on the App says in-store only, so there may be some discrepancies there. If they charge you online then surely one wouldn’t be eligible for the statement credit, effectively making the credit useless?

Internaut 8 posts

Has anybody used this credit at Tattu? I have just reserved a table for my partner and I, but I noticed they take payment details online – so now I am just wondering if you rack up your bill and charge you as it were an online order, or do they bring the card machine to your table once you’ve finished your meal?

I only ask as the offer on the App says in-store only, so there may be some discrepancies there. If they charge you online then surely one wouldn’t be eligible for the statement credit, effectively making the credit useless?

There’s a whole bunch of caveats regarding payment intermediaries. I would only pay using the card itself, in the establishment. I decided not even to use Google Pay with my phone – working out whether or not that would work is, I decided, an SEP.

MattB 260 posts

Spent almost £150 at Ka’teen in LA 5 days ago. Not even an email so far

deerwood 6 posts

Can anyone tell me how long it takes for the dining credit to appear on your statement?
    I used the credit a week ago, and received a confirmation email from Amex but the full amount still appears on my statement and no credit given.
    Amex now, of course, requiring payment.

Andrew J 769 posts

I used the abroad dining credit on Saturday evening – email straight away confirming and the charge and the credit appeared together this morning. Lightening speed on this occasion.

JDB 4,345 posts

I used the abroad dining credit on Saturday evening – email straight away confirming and the charge and the credit appeared together this morning. Lightening speed on this occasion.

Is this because the credit lightened the financial burden or just because it was lightning fast?

SteveJ 977 posts

I spent using the overseas offer on 22nd July, credit appeared dated 25th.

RonnieB 288 posts

Can anyone tell me how long it takes for the dining credit to appear on your statement?
    I used the credit a week ago, and received a confirmation email from Amex but the full amount still appears on my statement and no credit given.
    Amex now, of course, requiring payment.

Well of course they are looking for payment, what would you expect? T&Cs are pretty clear it could take up to 150 days

“Statement credits are not redeemable for cash and will usually appear on your statement within 30
    days from the date of your eligible transaction, but it can take up to 150 days.”

Scottpat78 245 posts

We are in LA in a few days – what was this place like please?

MattB 260 posts

We enjoyed it, not fine dining by any means but a nice venue with plenty of outside seating in a quiet spot not far from Hollywood Boulevard. Only chose it as it was easy to get to from Beverly Hills compared to the other LA options but didn’t regret it.

Booking is advisable, we struggled to get in midweek a few days out.

roger 232 posts

Some restaurant seems to have minimum per person spend limit!

mattjam 3 posts

We enjoyed it, not fine dining by any means but a nice venue with plenty of outside seating in a quiet spot not far from Hollywood Boulevard. Only chose it as it was easy to get to from Beverly Hills compared to the other LA options but didn’t regret it.

We were there too at the end of last month. Pretty decent food – tasty. Good buzz too. Nothing from Amex in terms of a credit.

JohnG 40 posts

We’re going back to Aqua Shard for lunch on Friday after doing the same thing last year. We tend to take friends or family as a gift and the great views and restaurant layout are an important part of that, however we enjoyed the food and I think the lunch menu is well priced accounting for the setting. The price will be considerably higher for evenings or weekends though vs other choices.

I love SushiSamba but the heron tower one is focusing less and less on food. General advice is that you need to decide relative importance of quality/style/affordability of food vs how important the setting and view are. There are a number better/cheaper Chinese restaurants in London than Hutong but none can match the location. Duck & Waffle in the Heron building is a faff to get reservations and very expensive for good but basic food, but I’m really glad I’ve been there.

mattjam 3 posts

We were there too at the end of last month. Pretty decent food – tasty. Good buzz too. Nothing from Amex in terms of a credit.

I just contacted Amex, as there was no sign of any refund. Apparently, Ka’teen did not properly set-up in order for the credit to be recognised. Amex are now on it and said it would take around 10 days to resolve. So, credits will be made, but expect a bit of a lag.

Scottpat78 245 posts

Thanks for the LA info. We’ve booked Everson Royce bar for tonight. We have 2 kids in tow and they appear in the list of top kid friendly places for LA.

Scottpat78 245 posts

Thanks, we’re in LA now and have booked Everson Royce Bar for tonight. We have 2 kids in tow and they appear in the list of top kid friendly places in LA.

I just contacted Amex, as there was no sign of any refund. Apparently, Ka’teen did not properly set-up in order for the credit to be recognised. Amex are now on it and said it would take around 10 days to resolve. So, credits will be made, but expect a bit of a lag.

Scottpat78 245 posts

Everson Royce Bar was awesome. The food was really good and with a couple of drinks each and a couple of courses each, the tab including tip came to £137 on my Plat account. I received an email telling me I had redeemed my benefit around 2 mins after my card was swiped.

I’d recommend that bar/restaurant as a family of 4 managed to eat and drink effectively for free in a really cool setting. I must admit I was probably the oldest person in there at mid 40s!

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

The UK's biggest frequent flyer website uses cookies, which you can block via your browser settings. Continuing implies your consent to this policy. Our privacy policy is here.