Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Forums Payment cards Other payment cards NS&I for BA Prepaid Mastercard

• jc2304 6 posts

Hi all

Quick q if anyone has any experience – looking to buy some Premium Bonds through NS&I. Has anyone topped up and used the BA Prepaid Mastercard with NS&I? If so, was it accepted/did you earn Avios/were there any additional fees?

Thanks

Peter K 553 posts

Why not give it a try?

pbcold 347 posts

You`ll pay if you do.

pointyhead 12 posts

You`ll pay if you do.

What would the fee be?

jc2304 6 posts

Why not give it a try?

Because this is a community meant for asking for advice and tips. If no one else has tried it, I will give it a go and add here as a data point. But if others have already given it a go, it’s worth asking first.

If you’ve not got anything useful to add, why bother commenting?

pbcold 347 posts

Isn`t social media lovely? People will get upset about absolutely anything.

jc2304 6 posts

Not sure if this was aimed at me? I’ll be honest, thought it was just a bit of a salty response when all I did was asked for advice/experience on a forum, which is the exact purpose of said forum.

For info, I tried it on a small amount and it seems to have worked without being charged any fees, and it says that the Avios will be coming through

Alex G 435 posts

Why not give it a try?

Because this is a community meant for asking for advice and tips. If no one else has tried it, I will give it a go and add here as a data point. But if others have already given it a go, it’s worth asking first.

It really isn’t a good idea to write about ideas for Manufactured Spend on a forum like this, which is why seasoned users won’t help you.

Ash 621 posts

Buying premium bonds is a manufactured spend? I dont do it myself but recall other posters asking around the subject, in connection with various cards. Is it the BA prepaid card? Or more generally buying bonds with any card other than a debit card?

redethernet1 89 posts

Not sure if this was aimed at me? I’ll be honest, thought it was just a bit of a salty response when all I did was asked for advice/experience on a forum, which is the exact purpose of said forum.

For info, I tried it on a small amount and it seems to have worked without being charged any fees, and it says that the Avios will be coming through

Theres a fee coming your way unfortunately

Peter K 553 posts

Why not give it a try?

It really isn’t a good idea to write about ideas for Manufactured Spend on a forum like this, which is why seasoned users won’t help you.

Exactly this. Give it a try, take the hit if it doesn’t work, be happy if it does. It was advice, not being snarky.

Harrier25 852 posts

If you read between the lines, Peter, he would much prefer you to lose money than himself.

Peter K 553 posts

If you read between the lines, Peter, he would much prefer you to lose money than himself.

Fair point 😂

duke 41 posts

Theres a fee coming your way unfortunately

That’s right, this forum is for manaffactured spending.

Let’s get some more ideas!

Keep them coming…

Did you get charged a fee? I want to do this with a couple of grand

The Urbanite 118 posts

Why not give it a try?

The card offers the opportunity to earn a grand total of 1300 points a month – is anyone is losing sleep over this being posted?

Ash 621 posts

BC Avios, Virgin CC any of the Amex cards…. which do not charge for NS&I/Premium bonds?

laughingplace 28 posts

There is a way to avoid any fee on the BA Prepaid when paying any merchant that would usually attract a fee. E.g. it can be used to pay off other CC free. I will leave that for you to find out.

It’s fairly pointless though given only £2600 monthly limit and a 0.5 avios per £ earning. If the monthly limit was increased it would be quite attractive – but then it would get shut down quickly!

Paul B 224 posts

There is a way to avoid any fee on the BA Prepaid when paying any merchant that would usually attract a fee. E.g. it can be used to pay off other CC free. I will leave that for you to find out.

It’s fairly pointless though given only £2600 monthly limit and a 0.5 avios per £ earning. If the monthly limit was increased it would be quite attractive – but then it would get shut down quickly!

Any clues as to what CC it doesn’t hurt to pay off? It’s certainly not Amex.

Carlos 758 posts

1300 avios a month is not too pointless IMO

The Urbanite 118 posts

BC Avios, Virgin CC any of the Amex cards…. which do not charge for NS&I/Premium bonds?

You are a MS veteran sir!

Ash 621 posts

I am? : )
    I’m an old dog trying to learning a new trick, hoping a friendly HfP’er will throw me a bone

stevenhp1987 331 posts

I’m an old dog trying to learning a new trick, hoping a friendly HfP’er will throw me a bone

First rule of Fight Club…

Aston100 1,383 posts

First rule of Fight Club…

Flight Club

Harrier25 852 posts

Yet you come on here begging for people to share valuable MS routes on a widely read public forum. I don’t think you’re as wise an old dog as you think, Ash!

Carlos 758 posts

Mr X is though

Yet you come on here begging for people to share valuable MS routes on a widely read public forum. I don’t think you’re as wise an old dog as you think, Ash!

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

The UK's biggest frequent flyer website uses cookies, which you can block via your browser settings. Continuing implies your consent to this policy. Our privacy policy is here.