Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Forums Payment cards American Express Platinum ‘First Class’ lounge access

• kingmoose8 5 posts

Hi – having been tempted by the Platinum sign up bonus I received my card for the first time. On the Amex app it lists lounges that the card gains access to. I note in some cities (for example Cairo and Bangkok) some of the lounges include ‘First Class’ in the name. Before I get excited, as I don’t fly First Class and only have Bronze BA status, will I actually get it in to these lounges with the Platinum Amex, or will I need a First Class boarding pass too?

Andrew J 769 posts

That will just be what the lounges are called – the majority of the lounges are third-party ground handling agent lounges which are not affiliated to an airline – so they won’t be the first class lounge of an airline. But you won’t need anything other than a same-day economy boarding pass to enter any of the lounges – so if the lounge is listed and you’re flying from that terminal and the lounge isn’t full on the day (most U.K. lounges won’t accept you) then you’re free to enter.

SteveJ 979 posts

Some of the lounges do require you to be firing a specific airline. E.g. in the US the Platinum card will get you into many Delta lounges, but only if you have a Delta boarding pass (so the only value is if you’re flying Delta economy).

The entry requirements are all transparently listed against each lounge on the Platinum website, so should tell you exactly what is needed per lounge.

can 506 posts

In short you’ll have access for three reasons:
    – priority pass
    – plat itself for the lounges run by amex itself
    – lounge chains that Amex has a deal, like plaza in lhr

I must say even in the UK some Amex and plaza lounges are much better than BA’s own business class lounge

Jonno34 15 posts

In short you’ll have access for three reasons:
    – priority pass
    – plat itself for the lounges run by amex itself
    – lounge chains that Amex has a deal, like plaza in lhr

I must say even in the UK some Amex and plaza lounges are much better than BA’s own business class lounge

What are your preferred lounges at T5 please?

can 506 posts

Plaza Premium.

For some reason, I never liked BA’s Galleries.
    Food is better in Plaza 🙂

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

The UK's biggest frequent flyer website uses cookies, which you can block via your browser settings. Continuing implies your consent to this policy. Our privacy policy is here.