Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Forums Payment cards American Express Amex Platinum insurance – MASTER THREAD

• MCO 73 posts

Thank you.

moe8555 41 posts

Does anyone know if a positive Covid antigen test (officially performed, of course) is acceptable proof for the travel insurance offered by the Platinum?

Or must a PCR be performed?

• This reply was modified 54 years, 4 months ago by .
    moe8555 41 posts

Can I temporarily hijack the thread in an effort to make sense of the terms of the Platinum ICC insurance?

They divide the terms into a Section A and a Section B, with Section A pertinent to people that took out the card in the UK or via the Amex ICC site, and Section B to non-UK cardholders.

The main difference in terms is that the Section B people do not need to book the travel with the card to be covered.

But what terms apply to someone who resides outside of the UK, but applied for the card via the Amex ICC site???

Following up for the benefit of all with a written response received from AXA:

“The American Express Platinum ICC dollar charge card benefits under travel insurance are not dependent on the card being used for the booking of the trip and are active regardless of how the trip is booked.”

So that settles that!

oxforddoc 19 posts

Anybody had any luck at increasing the single item limit on the insurance?

Copperfield27 7 posts

Odd one – has anybody experience of moving overseas and retaining the UK plat? My OH (who is a supp on my card) remains in the UK and we still have our UK home and sterling bank accounts but my fiscal residence for the next few years is France. I do intend to move back to the UK although not sure when and would rather not switch to a French Amex but I don’t want to find that should I need to claim on the insurance that it would be invalid. Anybody done somthing similar?

Jonno34 15 posts

Odd one – has anybody experience of moving overseas and retaining the UK plat? My OH (who is a supp on my card) remains in the UK and we still have our UK home and sterling bank accounts but my fiscal residence for the next few years is France. I do intend to move back to the UK although not sure when and would rather not switch to a French Amex but I don’t want to find that should I need to claim on the insurance that it would be invalid. Anybody done somthing similar?

I have a similar issue. Since COVID I am spending more time at what was our holiday home, often more than 90 days and whilst I remain a UK resident this will probably get longer. I am not overly worried about the 90days cover from the UK however we are looking at taking short trips from our address abroad and I would like these to be covered. As far as I am aware Amex charge cards are not available at my holiday address though I do have an Amex labeled credit card on a local bank there.

Jonno34 15 posts

I have Platinum Charge card, my wife has the platinum supplementary card. I have given my Niece a supplementary gold card, does anyone know if she will get the travel insurance provision if she uses it for travel reservations?

Thanks

moe8555 41 posts

Does anyone know if a positive Covid antigen test (officially performed, of course) is acceptable proof for the travel insurance offered by the Platinum?

Or must a PCR be performed?

Just wanted to update that a rapid antigen test was indeed accepted for the claim.

moe8555 41 posts

I just had a great experience with a claim (Platinum ICC USD card).

Background: I had a short trip planned to Cyprus with two of my kids, and about 5 days before departure, we all contracted Covid. My claim was for the cost of the outbound flights (Ryanair, non-refundable and the change fee was greater than the cost of the tickets), and the $40/each cancelation fee for two of our inbound flights, which were award redemptions (the third was booked using a voucher, which was refunded in kind at full value). The hotel was booked through Amex’s “The Vacation Collection” program. Despite the booking being non-refundable/non-changeable at that point, the Amex Platinum Travel representative truly went above and beyond the call of duty. In real time during our call, he got in touch with the hotel and managed to postpone our reservation to a later agreed date with no penalty. No waiting, no uncertainty, no hoping for the best – just professionally handled on the spot.

As a non-UK cardholder, I was pleasantly surprised at how hassle free the whole thing was. Most of the claim I was able to file via the site, although being a UK-oriented service, I got held up when attempting to enter bank details for claim payment, which only allowed for a UK bank. A quick call sorted it out, during which they were able to manually input my U.S. USD bank account information and fully submit the claim. Also, my proof of Covid infection and award ticket cancelation invoice were not in English. This too did not pose an issue, apparently.

About three days later, my claim was approved, no further information required. So, despite the other thread about service going to the dogs, it appears that there are still some true gems working there.

JS 10 posts

Does the buis platinum cover car club excess?

Guernsey Globetrotter 588 posts

Interesting on the HB option, I hadn’t seen that anywhere? We are booked next Jan for 5 nights and I had budgeted £500 a night for 2 of us on F&B!

@Strickers
    Update on Laamu F&B – I wouldn’t recommend the USD120 half-board option. Most of the fixed cost ‘event’ menus each night are USD120 so you gain nothing on the HB rate. Breakfast is included and lavish. You may also find yourself indulging in the free ice-cream or a pizza at the Sip-Sip pool bar in the afternoon. For me also the heat definitely takes the edge off the appetite… As a result, we often felt that in the evening we didn’t really make the most of the extensive fixed menus and would have preferred a burger or lighter supper in the Chill Bar. Probably would have saved £100s and not put on so much weight in our week either!!
    PS Your F&B budget estimate isn’t far off – the two of us averaged about £400 a day (that did include beers, cocktails and the odd bottle of wine at dinner).

ringingup 179 posts

I am due to go away next weekend with some friends to the south coast of England. We booked a house via Airbnb.

One of my friends has fallen ill. First he developed a kidney stone, and then today he tested positive for Covid. He might have recovered by next Thursday, but it’s not guaranteed. Plus, he might pass Covid to his partner in the meantime.

The Platinum insurance, under the cancellation terms, says:

a) You, or a person travelling with You, or a person You are visiting for the main purpose of Your Trip, having an accident, suffering an unforeseen illness or dying before Your Trip;

In a case like this, where the booking is under my name, what can I expect from the insurer should we need to cancel? My friend is actually listed as a guest in the airbnb booking, but his partner isn’t. We obviously have plenty of evidence, through messages and through payments made to me, that we intend to travel together.

Stephen 48 posts

Is the insurance cover limited to £300 for missed connections?

I’ve got flights booked on separate tickets, so was wondering if there was a problem with the initial flight, would they cover the cost to get to the destination (or is it limited to £300?)

QFFlyer 156 posts

Know I’m late responding to this but could add value. I’ve still got a UK Platinum card, I live in Australia and have claimed twice on the insurance (car rental benefit). All Axa wanted was proof my residence was here (since you need to have a ticket to/from your residential country). Amex will even let you put your o/s address on the account and send new cards etc. to your overseas address.

It’s cheaper than the Aussie card and the travel insurance providing COVID cover is worth the fee on its own right now since I need proof of insurance to travel pretty much everywhere.

Amy C 372 posts

Have just got off the phone to Amex, specifically their travel insurance people.

Despite what I thought and what’s been mentioned on the site (I think), they are definitely stating you need to have paid with your plat card in order to benefit from cover for cancellation, curtailment, postponement personal property, protection and refund. Bit of a blow really.
    Going for 3 weeks to Southern Africa next month and renting 4×4. Transiting through Jo’berg and they love stealing luggage there. I paid for the flights with my BA Amex, most of the accommodation with my Halifax clarity (as most don’t take Amex) and absolutely nothing with the platinum as I thought we were covered regardless.

RobL 72 posts

Have just got off the phone to Amex, specifically their travel insurance people.

Despite what I thought and what’s been mentioned on the site (I think), they are definitely stating you need to have paid with your plat card in order to benefit from cover for cancellation, curtailment, postponement personal property, protection and refund. Bit of a blow really.
    Going for 3 weeks to Southern Africa next month and renting 4×4. Transiting through Jo’berg and they love stealing luggage there. I paid for the flights with my BA Amex, most of the accommodation with my Halifax clarity (as most don’t take Amex) and absolutely nothing with the platinum as I thought we were covered regardless.

I am surprised that this has not generated more comment. Have you looked into it further?

• This reply was modified 54 years, 4 months ago by .
    moe8555 41 posts

I am surprised that this has not generated more comment. Have you looked into it further?

I’m pretty sure the insurance T&C’s clearly state that coverage is in effect only if the services were charged on the card (or you can furnish proof that the particular provider did not accept Amex). This is in contrast to the ICC version, which does not require using the card.

Youllnever 182 posts

Quite certain that it was only ever mentioned that the core medical insurance coverage didn’t require you to have paid the trip on the card. Other additional coverage requires you to do so.

RobL 72 posts

‘ELIGIBILITY
    The benefits described in these Policy Terms and Conditions are dependent upon a Card being issued, the Card
    account being valid and the account balance having been paid in accordance with the Cardmember agreement
    at the time of any incident giving rise to a claim.
    The following benefits are dependent on use of the Card:
    • Cancelling, Postponing and Abandoning your Trip;
    • Cutting Short your Trip;
    • Travel Inconvenience;
    • Personal Belongings, Money and Travel Documents;
    • Purchase Protection;
    • Refund Protection;@

‘“Card” means any Card or other Account access device issued to a Cardmember (or a Supplementary
    Cardmember) for the purpose of accessing the Account.’

pandaflyer 9 posts

Amy C – was this the mention on Head for Points that you had seen?

https://www.headforpoints.com/2019/04/11/american-express-reinstates-the-old-rules-for-platinum-travel-insurance/comment-page-1/#comments

The article is old, but the same wording is in the policy now – so you may be okay. Could double check with Amex?

pandaflyer 9 posts

Speaking to Amex – they said that the above applies for the main cardholder, but not supplementary cardholders. Supplementary cardholders must pay on the supplementary plat card.

Amy C 372 posts

Amy C – was this the mention on Head for Points that you had seen?

GOOD NEWS: American Express reinstates the old rules for Platinum travel insurance

<iframe class=”wp-embedded-content” sandbox=”allow-scripts” security=”restricted” style=”position: absolute; clip: rect(1px, 1px, 1px, 1px);” title=”“GOOD NEWS: American Express reinstates the old rules for Platinum travel insurance” — Head for Points” src=”https://www.headforpoints.com/2019/04/11/american-express-reinstates-the-old-rules-for-platinum-travel-insurance/embed/#?secret=sSEnfq70KM&#8221; data-secret=”sSEnfq70KM” width=”500″ height=”282″ frameborder=”0″ marginwidth=”0″ marginheight=”0″ scrolling=”no”></iframe>

The article is old, but the same wording is in the policy now – so you may be okay. Could double check with Amex?

The other half (the main card holder) will be checking with Amex again. I’ll ask him to clarify the whole supplementary card thing mentioned directly above (thank you). I feel pretty certain I’m not covered for many important things now and will have to buy extra insurance.

pandaflyer 9 posts

**UPDATE**

Supplementary cardholders are also covered as long as they pay on an Amex.

Rob at HfP suggested that the agent I spoke to may have just been misinformed, so I emailed Amex. I now have email confirmation (from AXA that provides their insurance) that supplementary cardholders are covered if they pay on any Amex.

Online chat was pretty unhelpful, but I found an email address in the policy conditions document that responded in good time.

Amy C 372 posts

**UPDATE**

Supplementary cardholders are also covered as long as they pay on an Amex.

Rob at HfP suggested that the agent I spoke to may have just been misinformed, so I emailed Amex. I now have email confirmation (from AXA that provides their insurance) that supplementary cardholders are covered if they pay on any Amex.

Online chat was pretty unhelpful, but I found an email address in the policy conditions document that responded in good time.

I got other half (main card holder) to ring AXA the other day and they confirmed supp card holders are covered. However, they said that they had to pay on the platinum, just like the main cardholder for the full coverage. RobL’s post above detailing things that aren’t covered for any card, only the platinum. They appear to tell different people different things and as a result, for peace of mind, I’ve gone and spent £80 on another policy with Admiral!

Froggee 901 posts

Where’s @JDB when you need him? Clearly Amex/AXA do not know their own insurance product given multiple different answers. If £80 gives you peace of mind then I’m sure it is money well spent but I really don’t think you need it unless the Admiral policy is better. Looking in the insurance centre at the policy wording I see (I am a supplemental cardholder) I get the same wording and same definitions. Definitions are below although not bolded how Amex have done.

To me it’s pretty unambiguous – “Account” refers to all my cards whether supplementary or in my own name. This excludes corporate cards and Amex badged cards (although I’m not sure Amex badged cards exist any more do they?)

So I wouldn’t be covered on platinum insurance if I paid for something using my employer issued Amex. And I wouldn’t have been if I used my Lloyds duo Amex. Otherwise all good. Given this and Amex historically being good payers (although I’ve never claimed), I’m comfortable.

——- ——- ——-

“Account” or “Card Account” means Your consumer and small business cards issued by American Express
    in the UK, excluding corporate cards and any American Express cards issued by bank partners. “American Express” means American Express Services Europe Limited.

“Card” means any Card or other Account access device issued to a Cardmember (or a Supplementary Cardmember) for the purpose of accessing the Account.

“Cardmember” means any individual who holds a valid Account.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

The UK's biggest frequent flyer website uses cookies, which you can block via your browser settings. Continuing implies your consent to this policy. Our privacy policy is here.