Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Forums Payment cards American Express Post your American Express Platinum retention offers here!

• Harrods 120 posts

Can we collect data points?

I took my card out in November 2020, got offered 85k points in December 2020. Most recently offered 35k shortly after one year was up and AF due.

• This topic was modified 54 years, 4 months ago by .
    Entitled 68 posts

I took out the card in August 21 and was not offered anything when I called today to cancel.

I cited lack of travel going forward and applicability of offers. Amex cited my recent welcome bonus and referral bonus as an indication that I had done okay in recent times.

can 506 posts

I’ve had platinum for 3-4 years and thought of asking for the retention offer once. And they gave me 50k.

MilesOnPoint 80 posts

Has anyone received offers to upgrade back to Platinum from Gold Charge card Amex?

(Historically there was a 20,000 MR points for £1k spend)

blue_wolf 28 posts

Received a 50k MR retention offer for my Platinum card back in July 2021, my 1-year anniversary of holding the card. Just about enough to cover the annual fee. 😊

They said I was eligible as I hadn’t had any other bonus offers in the past year.

They also offered to split the payment across 12 months but I preferred to pay it in one go.

deiveed 13 posts

Received 100k in July when I called and discussed changing to gold. I felt that was abnormally high at the time but then in Oct they offered me centurion.

So I guess that was more of a signup bonus rather than retention offers.

VerdantBacon 141 posts

Annual fee coming up for my plat, called to cancel and was offered 50k retention. I made it clear that the points would be enough to keep me on a little while longer but doesn’t address the personal lack of value I find in the card and I’d likely still be cancelling soon.

Agent had no problem with this, I guess they just want to keep up their retention KPI up and leave the cancellation for the person I get through to next time

Harrods 120 posts

Annual fee coming up for my plat, called to cancel and was offered 50k retention. I made it clear that the points would be enough to keep me on a little while longer but doesn’t address the personal lack of value I find in the card and I’d likely still be cancelling soon.

Agent had no problem with this, I guess they just want to keep up their retention KPI up and leave the cancellation for the person I get through to next time

When was your last retention offer?

AY 27 posts

Didn’t get a retention offer but did get a Christmas card valuing me as a Platinum card member haha

TeesTraveller 3 posts

Didn’t get a retention offer but did get a Christmas card valuing me as a Platinum card member haha

I didn’t even get one of those!

I really feel Platinum is not right for me anymore. In the past I could justify the fee with the hotel status, the lounge access and the bonus offers but my travel is not going to be anything like it was and the HSBC World Elite MC gives me (one person) lounge access, equivalent avios earning and a sign up bonus for £145 (special offer).

As someone who lives in a small village in Northern England, I realise that Amex’s core Platinum base is in London but the card is so London-centric and the offers are generally for brands that are not even on my radar. When I had an Amex Gold card, I used to get offers for everyday brands like Wilko and WH Smith but these days as a Platinum customer, Amex seems to think I should be shopping at places that I have never heard of. Just because I earn a decent salary, does not mean I don’t still buy lunch from Greggs, wear jumpers from Next and go to Wickes to buy a tin of paint.

Carlos 758 posts

Has anyone received offers to upgrade back to Platinum from Gold Charge card Amex?

(Historically there was a 20,000 MR points for £1k spend)

I would be looking forward to something like this

Blindman67 135 posts

Mrs B needs to cancel her card-reached the spend and I have my own.
    She now has the Credit card so no panic to spend her points.

Does anyone have recent experience of any retention offers?

May do this by Chat-but would use ‘phone if better chance of offers.

Ta

Tubbs 38 posts

I contacted via Chat indicating that I was considering cancelling (after less than 3 months) but might retain if offered points bonus. Chat suggested I call the Platinum number so I did. I referenced other cardholders receiving 50,000 MR points and was offered 35,000. I pushed for 50,000 but was told 35,000 was the max for my account so I accepted.

SteveJ 979 posts

I contacted via Chat indicating that I was considering cancelling (after less than 3 months) but might retain if offered points bonus. Chat suggested I call the Platinum number so I did. I referenced other cardholders receiving 50,000 MR points and was offered 35,000. I pushed for 50,000 but was told 35,000 was the max for my account so I accepted.

Anecdotally I’d say 35k for such a short tenure is about par. 50k seems for those who have held the card for longer.

George K 292 posts

50k for me just last month.

Blindman67 135 posts

Thanks for the replies.

So was there a spend associated with the 35K?

She’s had the card about 4 months

RonnieB 288 posts

I suspect the retention offers are based on card spend. I’ve had two amounts, 15000 in 2020 and 35000 last year, but I don’t spend a whole lot on the card, maybe 5-600 a month on average

defender90 25 posts

Another interesting datapoint – I took the card out in October 2021 and was offered 50k MR today when I asked to downgrade to gold. They did cite a relationship of a few years so I think that it’s not just time with platinum, but more time with Amex in general and spend history that counts

laughingplace 28 posts

Another interesting datapoint – I took the card out in October 2021 and was offered 50k MR today when I asked to downgrade to gold. They did cite a relationship of a few years so I think that it’s not just time with platinum, but more time with Amex in general and spend history that counts

Was this via chat or phone?

Niall 112 posts

How long between retention offers? I think I got a second one in July 2021 after a first in May 2020. Is it a year?

Faker 10 posts

How long between retention offers? I think I got a second one in July 2021 after a first in May 2020. Is it a year?

I have read someone on here saying that they are only able to credit us with bonus points once a year? But could be wrong

Tom2 113 posts

General consensus is once a year – FT talk about needing a 13 month gap between them. However, there are a number of examples of people getting more than 1 a year so if it has been at least 6 months it may be worth a try regardless.

KP 27 posts

Wife was declined a retention offer on the basis that the card was only taken out in Sept… doh…

Aston100 1,383 posts

I was given 35k within a month of receiving the Platinum Card. I was refused any further retention offers when I cancelled my card 8 months later (earlier this month).

Blindman67 135 posts

Mrs B not offered anything-card held 4 months-spend spend in that period was just over the £6K to get the bonus.

Did not expect nor want anything TBHO.

• This reply was modified 54 years, 4 months ago by .
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

The UK's biggest frequent flyer website uses cookies, which you can block via your browser settings. Continuing implies your consent to this policy. Our privacy policy is here.